If you are black and graduated/attended college, did you attend an HBCU?

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Moshe.

All Star
Daps
I didn't attend an HBCU because I got accepted into a program that was really good and I was able to obtain a scholarship, so that was an added bonus.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Thats usually not the case

Last time i checked university of houston had like a 90 percent bar pass rate and one of the knocks on tsu is that so many people dont pass the bar

I had a scholarship to howard but i went to texas cuz i didnt wanna be that far from home. I would have loved howard though.

may not be the usual case but its the case now. TxSU is doing some great things in HBCU land

even athletically their BBall team was causing some problems last year.

Timeis$

Banned
Daps
Of course and I don't regret it.

Closest friends being black professionals :blessed:

I make 6 figures and I went to a HBCU

Yep. Of course, certain HBCU attract more companies than other....based on reputation and productivity of former students at the respective companies. For example, in college we went to an accounting conference which contained black students from HBCUs and PWIs. We went over various concepts and were interviewed by potential employers. Students from alot of PWIs in attendance were not properly dressed for an interview or prepared tointeract in that environment. . At that point....the name of the school on your resume is irrelevant. I tell people all the time...if you go to an HBCU with a STRONG program in your major (its not about the overall school, just the strength in your major)...you will be just as prepared and competitive as a candidates from the majority of other schools in the nation.
I can personally cosign all the above. My school is very strong in my major I chose and we actually had a dress code everyday to class. Which helped out because I remember companies complaining about white kids wearing flip flops or yoga pants to interviews.

I'm a FAMU alumni. I went to majority cac schools growing up so I tell people all the time going to an HBCU was one of the best decisions of my life. Awesome career and life long friends. And its nice seeing on my Facebook timeline black men and women doing well and also seeing peeps from college getting married and being happy. I went to 3 weddings last year of close brehs and the funny thing is I'm cool with the CHICKS as well as we all went to same school. Refreshing to say the least.

SpringWater

Just Like That
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
Yes, I graduated from an HBCU. WHY? Because my parents and my grandparents all attended HBCU's so it was really an automatic. Would I do it again? Meh, probably not. Would I send my child to an HBCU? Probably not. Did I have fun? Absolutely. Too much fun? Abso-fukking-lutely. Is that important now in the grand scheme of how this world works? HELL NO. My one uncle went to Princeton and he is sitting LOVELY these days. I wish I had more reverence for the heirarchy of the collegiate system in the US but I just didn't know and my parents didn't teach me. They went to Morgan State. Grandfather, aunt and cousins all went to Hampton. Grandmother Kentucky State.

My main issue with HBCU's is the administration most times is not up to par. It's sad but seems prolific across the board with HBCU's. Even the "Black Ivy's" be fukking up in their admin. I went to Hampton. A black ivy. They were raggedy as hell in the admin building. I cannot tell you the shyt we would go through trying to make sure our grants and schollys were applied to our accounts right. Not here for it.

And, if you are young and impressionable, it's easy to get caught up at an HBCU around students who are not serious students. Students stunting on the yard. Girls dressing like they going to the club for class. Six inch heels and shyt. WTF? No. Priorities misplaced can steer you in the wrong direction. witnessed it with my own eyes. Not downing my people but we have a certain culture, some of it amazing and dynamic and some of it can be distracting from the real purpose of attending college if you're not careful. There is a proper time and place for everything.

I love my people and I respect and love what our HBCU's were founded on but these days they need to do better with administration. I'm sure they were not run so raggedy back in the day when we had more self-respect as a people who had no choice.....

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
No. Got into a great university and didn't think about going to a HBCU. I like what I have on my resume more tbh. No disrespect to HBCU.

richmondGeek

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Richmond, Cali
Yes. I needed it, after a almost PWI High School, it was therapeutic.

All HBCU's are not equal. Some never recovered from the brain drain that occurred once PWI' were force to accept blacks.

Mine was one of the ones that declined some, but I loved my experience. I had teachers who took me out to dinner, out of town conferences all on the spur of the moment.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
Yes, I graduated from an HBCU. WHY? Because my parents and my grandparents all attended HBCU's so it was really an automatic. Would I do it again? Meh, probably not. Would I send my child to an HBCU? Probably not. Did I have fun? Absolutely. Too much fun? Abso-fukking-lutely. Is that important now in the grand scheme of how this world works? HELL NO. My one uncle went to Princeton and he is sitting LOVELY these days. I wish I had more reverence for the heirarchy of the collegiate system in the US but I just didn't know and my parents didn't teach me. They went to Morgan State. Grandfather, aunt and cousins all went to Hampton. Grandmother Kentucky State.

My main issue with HBCU's is the administration most times is not up to par. It's sad but seems prolific across the board with HBCU's. Even the "Black Ivy's" be fukking up in their admin. I went to Hampton. A black ivy. They were raggedy as hell in the admin building. I cannot tell you the shyt we would go through trying to make sure our grants and schollys were applied to our accounts right. Not here for it.

And, if you are young and impressionable, it's easy to get caught up at an HBCU around students who are not serious students. Students stunting on the yard. Girls dressing like they going to the club for class. Six inch heels and shyt. WTF? No. Priorities misplaced can steer you in the wrong direction. witnessed it with my own eyes. Not downing my people but we have a certain culture, some of it amazing and dynamic and some of it can be distracting from the real purpose of attending college if you're not careful. There is a proper time and place for everything.

I love my people and I respect and love what our HBCU's were founded on but these days they need to do better with administration. I'm sure they were not run so raggedy back in the day when we had more self-respect as a people who had no choice.....
Posted entire letter a few pages back but an excerpt that applies here

Fellow HBCU graduates, we can and must come to the aid of our institutions while there is still time to make a difference. Fiscal insolvency and the loss of accreditation are two insurmountable challenges from which I have not known any institution, HBCU or PWI, to recover. What follows are some concrete steps we can and must take to support HBCUs.

1. We must stop complaining about the imperfections of HBCUs and fretting about the few things that didn't go as well as we would have liked when we were students. There are neither perfect schools nor perfect people.

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
No. The one HBCU I applied to and was the best for my major (Engineering/ NC A&T) didn't cover my tuition and was too much debt that I would have to take on. I also got accepted to some pretty good PWIs for engineering but I didn't go to them either because of price. The best option I got out of state was from Virginia Tech, but they wanted me to start in the summer which I couldn't do because I was still working at a particular job and was still not financially able to make the move at that time. Also I would still have to take on a significant amount of debt.

In the end, I stayed in-state and went to the best option for engineering in my state which was the flagship state school. I'm taking on 1/4 the debt per semester compared to out of state HBCU and PWI options. If I was like 18 or something, I'd probably be willing to take on a more sizable amount of debt. Not at this age.

The days of using college to "explore yourself" and to get away from home are gone without significant and incredible amount of debt. The University of Wisconsin for example had an estimated cost for me of 40K a year :merchant::merchant::damn:.

If I have kids and college prices continuing on this upwards spike, if there is a HBCU in our state then feel free to attend if the tuition is reasonably affordable but otherwise its ridiculous how much school cost these days :scusthov:.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I originally thought about it. I got accepted to Howard University, Hampton University, ST John's University and Fordham University. The only problem with Howard University is that I would be paying 120,000 dollars in Student debt ( Tuition, Room and Board, food, books, etc). I had to think to myself is Howard University experience worth 6 figures? :damn: I would've gone to Fordham but that black population at 4.1 percent :scust:. I HAVE to be around black people, I wouldn't feel comfortable otherwise.

ST John's had a bigger black population than the National Average, 20.1 percent vs National black population 13.2 percent. Plus they offered me a huge scholarship, I Couldn't reject that offer. Haven't regretted it since. But shoutout to all you HBCU students and grads.

Last edited: