If you are not using Pro Tools, are you essentially wasting your time?

doublenegative

I Heard A Dope Beat
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
The Song Maker and the SK 5
Thoughts?

I have been a Cubase guy for a grip but every commercial studio and other serious operation uses pro tools. Although I have been very successful with cubase, I'm thinking about making the switch because I am the only cat I know that mixes in it.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
as far as doing business, i know some competent folks with great set ups that use logic also. i even know a guy that uses presonus exclusively.

i mean if you want to get clients and move with a whole bunch of other studios, yea. if you just banging out your own shyt it doesnt matter

SlurRty

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NJ x NYC
Thoughts?

I have been a Cubase guy for a grip but every commercial studio and other serious operation uses pro tools. Although I have been very successful with cubase, I'm thinking about making the switch because I am the only cat I know that mixes in it.
i mean if you can afford it .. go for it.. my studio has pro tools and logic.. but i personally use logic

Ninjaz In Paris

ehyeh ašer ehyeh
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Arcturus
Doesn't matter what you use. I used to think it was the tools but after years of Engineering you can put me in front of any DAW & any set of Plugins & I can do the same thing. A lot of cats just keep switching & switching & switching without mastering ONE. Hit-Boy & Kane Beatz used FL's for years while others would switch to the newest "Hottest" Music Production Software. I know cats that have gone from FL to Reason to Logic to Studio One to Ableton & they're all still sounding very Amateurish.

If you like Cubase, stick to Cubase... do you... doesn't matter what you use. The same rules for EQ, Reverb, Delay, Compression, etc, are the same rules regardless of DAW used or set of Plugins. I had to learn this the slooooooow way. I used Logic for years until I got tired of Mac's & switched to PC & picked up Studio One & honestly, there's no difference once you get the hang of any of them.

In my opinion... & I've worked everywhere from CRC (Chicago) to Record Plant (LA) to Doppler (Atlanta) to Circle House (Miami)...

Do what YOU feel comfortable with...

Wepa Man

Ramblings of an Angry Old Man
Supporter
Daps
Doesn't matter what you use. I used to think it was the tools but after years of Engineering you can put me in front of any DAW & any set of Plugins & I can do the same thing. A lot of cats just keep switching & switching & switching without mastering ONE. Hit-Boy & Kane Beatz used FL's for years while others would switch to the newest "Hottest" Music Production Software. I know cats that have gone from FL to Reason to Logic to Studio One to Ableton & they're all still sounding very Amateurish.

If you like Cubase, stick to Cubase... do you... doesn't matter what you use. The same rules for EQ, Reverb, Delay, Compression, etc, are the same rules regardless of DAW used or set of Plugins. I had to learn this the slooooooow way. I used Logic for years until I got tired of Mac's & switched to PC & picked up Studio One & honestly, there's no difference once you get the hang of any of them.

In my opinion... & I've worked everywhere from CRC (Chicago) to Record Plant (LA) to Doppler (Atlanta) to Circle House (Miami)...

Do what YOU feel comfortable with...
:salute:

Propaganda

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
i'd say it's pretty damn specific at this point...if you're trying to be an engineer in a commercial studio, you're gonna be using pro tools so you better fukking know how to use it. it's what they run, it's what clients expect, it's the industry standard. so yeah, you're definitely wasting your time not using/learning/knowing pro tools if that's your angle.

but outside of that...no, of course not.

DBR

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
Learning pro tools is essential if you want to collab with art*ts and work in big studio . You can bang beats outta cubase and export it in pro tools in the mixing stage to get familiar with it . I don't even use pro tools yet but im planning to do it soon .

kingdizzy01

ATXBBOY
Daps
Reppin
ATX x Jersey Devil x Little Caribbean/Flatbush MF
i personally dont use protools in my setup, but if needed i can bounce the tracks to wav and use protools.

like someone else said, you dont need it, but you are expected to know how to use it if needed. for the most part, its like any other DAW. unless ur heavy on the engineer side, i wouldnt worry bout it much.

RC998

Pro
Daps
like what other people said you can produce on cubase but mix and master on pro tools