I’m 22, live with my parents and make close to 50k a year. How much should I invest/save?

SAINT

All $ IN
Supporter
Daps
I’m a soon to be college graduate and got an entry level position around my field, I spend money on tech, clothes and food. But even after that I always have extra money around. Now 50k ain’t shyt honestly, but when you factor in how little my expenses are I always have disposable money laying around. Now I’ll prolly spend 900-1k a month which leaves me with over 3000. I ain’t tryin to blow this shyt on clothes or dumb stuff. how much should go towards my 401k? how much should go towards bonds? how much stocks and how much should I save? How do y’all budget?

JLova

Veteran
Daps
How is the real estate market in your area? Would you be OK with being a landlord? I would try to stay at home as long as possible, but also buy a property to rent out. Then when you're ready to move out, move into the rental property or sell it and buy a spot for yourself.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you you need to move out. I moved out at 25/26 and frankly I'd be even further ahead if I moved out at 30. As long as it does not affect your social life too much and your parents are good, I see no issue with staying at home and stacking.

I'm in my mid/late 30s. No one ever says "Damn, I moved out too late".

Henri Christophe

Son Of Afrika
Daps
Reppin
NYC / Royaume d'Haïti
Youre crazy if youre living at home and buying clothes and food :francis:

Not gonna give you any financial advice but you should be taking advantage of your situation.

Worked on my business for almost 2 years before finally randomly moving out the crib one day.

The money youre saving right now is ridiculous..... TAKE ADVANTAGE.

Sometimes I wish I could go back.

If I stayed home another two years.... I'd be a young rich nikka

But instead, Im grinding solo and paying bills on my grown man shyt.... Wasted so much money on bills... Food... Car shyt... Stuff for the house... Etc.

Being on your own in NYC is expensive outchea ... Stop bullshytting and stack your money.

You're blessed.

1 other person

Superstar
Daps
Lol I’m in no rush to add expenses that I don’t need. I’m not moving out until my student loans close to paid off. Prolly age 25ish

Nice to have parents like that I guess. But I cant imagine being happy under someone elses thumb. You are blessed to have a helping family.

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds

Then save enough to pay off your debt, assess your professional situation and determine when you want to move out and if you want to rent or own.

I've been saving for years, have no debt and just bought a condo. I'd rather own than rent but I don't blame renters because the market is currently strong and it's a risk to get in now. I took it though because my finances are straight.

For you though I'd really just focus on your career path and getting rid of your debt. You don't necessarily want to move out if you think you might leave your job. You want to keep your options of locale open.

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
Youre crazy if youre living at home and buying clothes and food :francis:

Not gonna give you any financial advice but you should be taking advantage of your situation.

Worked on my business for almost 2 years before finally randomly moving out the crib one day.

The money youre saving right now is ridiculous..... TAKE ADVANTAGE.

Sometimes I wish I could go back.

If I stayed home another two years.... I'd be a young rich nikka

But instead, Im grinding solo and paying bills on my grown man shyt.... Wasted so much money on bills... Food... Car shyt... Stuff for the house... Etc.

Being on your own in NYC is expensive outchea ... Stop bullshytting and stack your money.

You're blessed.
I would take full advantage of not having to pay rent or a mortgage....you better believe that. Id stay with my parents atleast 5 years

Saving money is tough as nails when you have to pay rent and other amenities. It took me like 8 years to get enough to save fr a down payment on my place....he could basically have like 50-100k cash with the right discipline.

SAINT

All $ IN
Supporter
Daps
so you dont pay taxes? :dead:

I usually end up with around 3000, my expenses have gone down tremendously since School is out, I prolly give my mom a couple hundred a month, buy a game or 2 and some on gas shyt but that’s it nothing else.

SAINT

All $ IN
Supporter
Daps
How is the real estate market in your area? Would you be OK with being a landlord? I would try to stay at home as long as possible, but also buy a property to rent out. Then when you're ready to move out, move into the rental property or sell it and buy a spot for yourself.

".

I’ve been researching this, but honestly it scares me especially since my mother and grandfather are landlords. the amount of crap they deal with smh