"I'm Rapping On Kendrick and Cole's Level If Not Higher" Freddie Gibbs

Hades

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All artists who don't get play on the radio always mold the conversation to say that "They aren't playing the game. They make their own rules. It's all about the music." etc etc. If that is truly the case, then why does it matter if your are recognized on the level of those who are playing the game? Focus on what you are doing and leave them other cats' name out of your mouth.

West Coast Avenger

West Coastin & Smokin
Daps
Reppin
206 Emerald City
I guess we all can agree he is a top tier mc....but his subject matter needs to be expanded....I liked the last album and definitely saw some growth....

Tommy Sheppard

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
like others have already said he is a exceptional emcee and has a very elite level flow but his subject matter is too limited to be compared to Kendrick, he is better then cole though.

macadomusic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's right. I think his lack of pandering to women and topics that concerned women is what's stopping him from being on the same "level " as Cole and Dot. But on the flip side , that's what Gibbs fans like about Gibbs. He's a "gangster rapper" that still makes underground music. Plus he doesn't even associate himself with those guys so in a subconscious way, it looks like he don't fucc with those type of cats. But I think he's only gonna get bigger because his skills and versatility is undeniable. That nicca can easily make an updated "Brenda's Got A Baby" right now.

Last edited:

thernbroom

Superstar
Daps
Only got one song from the nikka saved on the computer and its this track

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Focus on what you are doing and leave them other cats' name out of your mouth.

Rap has never been about that though. You're supposed to think you're better than everyone else, and advertise as such. Kendrick did the "Control" verse, I'm sure he understands exactly what Gibbs is saying.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
As far as Gibbs and his lack of diverse subject matter....I don't think that's the problem. I think the problem is the lack of diversity in general in mainstream rap. So when a guy that's obviously talented comes out, it's kinda like "damn, why can't he rap about other shyt?". But back in the day nobody wanted Quik to diversify, or De La, or Tribe, or Snoop. They had their lane, and mostly stayed in it. Gibbs has a lane, and he's just choosing to stay in it. The problem is there isn't many other rappers out to balance things.

Fred.