I’m sorry but it’s hard for me to not look at Dubai travelers as clowns and followers

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
I'd rather visit Goa, India than any Middle Eastern country. Jerusalem just for the biblical landmarks maybe after they chill out over there.

CrushedGroove

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Went to Dubai for R&R during Iraq tour in 2005. It was a nice time and they treated us very well. I wouldn't pay my own money to go there though.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I just can't respect people who say they "travel" and only go to the tourists destination

If you did not visit the actual neighborhoods and local spots, you didn't travel. You just Hotel hopped

Lotta countries where I wouldn't dare do this as an American. Certainly every single country in the middle east and North Africa.

Same could be said for huge swaths of the Caribbean, Latin America , Africa , and south east Asia. We forget sometimes how easy it is for us to end up on the missing persons posters when each of us looks like a millionaire (or a religious infidel responsible for atrocities) to the locals

The way the guides explained it to me in Egypt was that the govt strictly regulates most of the operators in a very specific areas and they place covert secret agents mixed in with the crowd , as well as overt guards/military to prevent shiesty locals from messing up the tourist revenue in pursuit of scams, ransoms, and religious retaliation. Most of em told me we were on our own and playing stupid games once we ventured out of a specific area.

I have nothing against exploring random neighborhoods and interacting with locals but only in OECD countries.

The only caveat would be the extremely rural parts of some countries where the natives are often nicer and too naive to intend harm on the only foreigner they have seen in the last decade.

Daps
Drop some knowledge on the inequality out there
Everybody knows what it is and nobody cares. Any country sending women to work in Dubai that's not a first world country is basically sending them there for abuse and likely trafficking.......it's like what farm visas are in America........

Daps
I would guess a big reason for that is because of the oil money they been getting, they not rich because of tourism, really them becoming rich has allowed them to do extra shyt to become a tourist destination for other rich mfs
The plan is and has been to turn it into THE tourist destination before the oil runs out..........

Peauxboy

Pro
Daps
fukk that im goin to puerto rico or DR :blessed:
full

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!