Im trying to do Python and Network automation

Black Trash!

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na

Might do an automation home lab too.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I need some shyt to stand out.

I already know some Java so it's not like I'm starting from scratch, but theres so much that goes into automation and I don't have a degree

slikkp

Pro
Daps
Look into Kirk Byers free Python for network engineers class. It's like 8- weeks and is and intro to python but with a network automation twist and it will introduve you to Netmiko. The Eric Chou book is a little beyond beginners as he doesn't detail stuff really deep and assumes you know the basics. The second book is really good and they are coming out with a second edition soon.

Once you finish Kirk Byers 8- week class, look into Napalm and Nornir.

Napalm/Nornir/Netmiko are all vendor neutral and use SSH for connecting. The other way to do network automation is with Netconf/RESTCONF. Both depend on the capabilities of the network gear your trying to connect to.

An easier way to get into network automation is using Ansible.

Black Trash!

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Look into Kirk Byers free Python for network engineers class. It's like 8- weeks and is and intro to python but with a network automation twist and it will introduve you to Netmiko. The Eric Chou book is a little beyond beginners as he doesn't detail stuff really deep and assumes you know the basics. The second book is really good and they are coming out with a second edition soon.

Once you finish Kirk Byers 8- week class, look into Napalm and Nornir.

Napalm/Nornir/Netmiko are all vendor neutral and use SSH for connecting. The other way to do network automation is with Netconf/RESTCONF. Both depend on the capabilities of the network gear your trying to connect to.

An easier way to get into network automation is using Ansible.
Can you get into network automation without a degree?

And is it an easy laid-back job?

slikkp

Pro
Daps
Can you get into network automation without a degree?

And is it an easy laid-back job?

1. Yes

2. It depends on where you work. Are you building the automation environment yourself or are you joining an established team?