Immortal Technique: Classism Facilitates Racism

Remy Danton

All Star
Daps
thoughts

During a visit to Oxford University in early March, rapper Kanye West gave a lecture to the students in attendance and stated his belief that "classism is the new racism." Immortal Technique believes that though the two are connected, being prejudice towards those in a particular social class is just a facilitator of racism. "Classism needs racism to act as the forefront for it," the rapper/activist tells VladTV.

In this clip Immortal Technique also touches on the topic of reverse-racism. "I don't believe in reverse-racism, I believe everybody can be racist. The difference is this: Have you ever had to justify your humanity?" he asks. "Can someone discriminate against you and yet have you had to justify yourself as a human being?" He then goes on to point out instances where particular groups have dehumanized others in our world's history.

WuDatWuDat

All Star
Daps
In for later.

I remember when I was like 12 years old and heard Tech say

"In fact, I have more in common with most working and middle-class white people than I do with most rich black and Latino people. As much as racism bleeds America, we need to understand that classism is the real issue. Many of us are in the same boat and it's sinking, while these bougie Mother-fukkers ride on a luxury liner, and as long as we keep fighting over kicking people out of the little boat we're all in, we're gonna miss an opportunity to gain a better standard of living as a whole"

My mind was like :mindblown:

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel

Didn't listen to OP video but this quote needs to be repeated over and over and over again.

Racism is a real legitimate issue but its just a disguise to hide the true battle which is the rich vs the poor. Class greatly outweighs race or any other factor. Get your money up and you can say fukk you to the system.

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
He's right. Racism is used by the ruling class to divide the working class against itself. It is also useful for holding wages down.

Lyndon Johnson said it best

"I'll tell you what's at the bottom of it. If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
White people facillitate racism and have now spread this culture around the planet. doesnt have a damn thing to do with class. Dissapointing but immortal is mostly white so :manny:

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
:duck: This has been proven false again and again.

Word, prove it?

Look at my Jews for example. They were at one point looked down upon in the same regard as blacks in this country. They got their money up something serious and now they don't give a fukk about the system that was in place and are doing their own thing.

Look at Tyler Perry. Dude is worth something like $400 mill. You're telling me he's not saying fukk the system and doing whatever the fukk he wants?

Look at pretty much every immigrant group. They all started out at the bottom of the barrel, got their money up, and now they aren't at the bottom anymore.

Class >>>> Race.

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
I relate to other people who are desperate to escape the poverty cycle by any means. Idc if that's a drug dealer, a black guy, some guy in Cambodia, or a white woman in Appalachia.

People can be like each other in a million ways. It's not like it starts with race by default.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Word, prove it?

Look at my Jews for example. They were at one point looked down upon in the same regard as blacks in this country. They got their money up something serious and now they don't give a fukk about the system that was in place and are doing their own thing.

Look at Tyler Perry. Dude is worth something like $400 mill. You're telling me he's not saying fukk the system and doing whatever the fukk he wants?

Look at pretty much every immigrant group. They all started out at the bottom of the barrel, got their money up, and now they aren't at the bottom anymore.

Class >>>> Race.

1. You were never looked down upon the same regard as blacks. Most people didn't know who a jew was unless it was addressed or announced.

2. Jews who got their money not giving a fukk about the system is a myth. They embedded themselves in every part of the system. The poor jews were left to defend themselves.

3. Tyler Perry doesn't own rights to his movies. He hasn't done a film independent of the major film companies. His net-worth isn't even close to any real major white actor out.

4. Every immigrant group has a rich and poor class. Even in this country. The difference between all of them and blacks, is black people gave up all their community foundations to join White Society.

Daps
Word, prove it?

Class >>>> Race.

:mjlol: at this sneak diss towards African Americans. Ol' model minority ass motherfukker. You ain't slick todd. Why don't you just call us lazy and get it over with?

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
:mjlol: at this sneak diss towards African Americans. Ol' model minority ass motherfukker. You ain't slick todd. Why don't you just call us lazy and get it over with?
I think it is unfair that he ignores the multi century legacies of anti-black racism in this country, but at the same time we can only use that as an excuse for so long or so much :francis:

U nikkas cant complain about white supremacy and then wait for that very same white supremacy to swoop in and handle the business that u are supposed to be handling :ld:

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin

Quit projecting your insecurities onto me. Im not sneak dissing anyone and quit putting words in my mouth. If you want to prove a point, prove to me that race outweighs class.