In Selma Speech, Kamala Harris Links Civil Rights Fights With War in Ukraine

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter

• In Selma Speech, Kamala Harris Links Civil Rights Fights With War in Ukraine
In Selma Speech, Kamala Harris Links Civil Rights Fights With War in Ukraine
kamala-harris-selma.jpg

U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris speaks during an event at the Edmund Pettus Bridge marking the 57th anniversary of the 1965 Bloody Sunday civil rights march in Selma, Alabama, on Sunday, March 6, 2022.
Andi Rice/CNP/Bloomberg —Getty Images
By Philip Elliott
March 7, 2022 10:48 AM EST
This article is part of the The DC Brief, TIME’s politics newsletter. Sign up here to get stories like this sent to your inbox.

It was a quick invocation, one you probably missed during Vice President Kamala Harris’ visit to Selma yesterday. Standing by the bridge that was the site of a violent clash between civil rights leaders and segregationist police in 1965, the first Black woman to serve as Vice President drew a haunting parallel between the American icons who marched for their rights and the Ukrainians fighting for their country’s survival against an invading Russian military.

“Today, the eyes of the world are on Ukraine and the brave people who are fighting to protect their country and their democracy. And their bravery is a reminder that freedom and democracy can never be taken for granted,” Harris said, taking a pause here. “By any of us.”

The whole intro took less than a minute. But she planted the seed of context for the speech that followed. It then was impossible not to be thinking about Ukraine while listening to a speech on voting rights and civil rights heroes. It was subtle and nuanced, and a reminder that Harris at her best is a formidable political talent.

via: Kamala Harris Links Civil Rights Fights With War in Ukraine

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
These white folks really want to equate this Ukraine shyt to Black people like them Ukrainian refugees aint gonna come over here, benefit from white privilege like all of these Eastern Euros that come over here and act like they aint racist as fukk over there...

Get the fukk out of here.

The cracker overload of this whole conflict is making me sick of twitter hence the reason I come here...this is a fukking white supremacy war with nazis on the Russian side and Nazis on the Ukrainian side. If it gets nuclear or they commit cyberwarfare...yes...it becomes black folks problem just like it becomes everybody's problem...

But as far as this shyt....nah. stop. Im sick of white people and their useful tools bout to be broken trying to get black people to care about their white civil wars. Like we supposed to give a fukk about white people 24/7/365 but no reparations for FBA...no coverage of African conflicts where the victims arent completely dehumanized in the countries...arab countries still invaded illegally....yemen and syria still getting bombed. Somalia getting bombed by US and no coverage...these people will drive you sick if you let them.

:snoop:

Worthless Loser

Blackpilled
Daps
Ok. So this is another thing ya'll showing fake outrage about.

She could have went the entire speech without mentioning Ukraine because its not really necessary, but the quote itself really isn't bad or offensive at all.

Man On Fire

All Star
Daps
Reppin
nyc
Back in the day :old:

I bagged this bad skinny redbone AKA from WVA :ohlawd:

Hold up :mjtf:

Kamala said what :pachaha: