In the spirit of giving flowers, while they’re still here. A maxwell appreciation thread

Superstar
Daps
I had an older sister growing up, so I got pretty sick of hearing “Urban Hang Suite” when I got home from school. I did enjoy it the first 17,391 times though.

I found myself successful, trying to swindle my virtuous high school lady interest out of her 32C bra, while “Now” played. It was one of the best “$5 bootleg table, in front of the corner store” purchases I’d ever made.

Though our more imaginative artists tend to stay in the shadows during creative cycles. Their names generally stay mentioned. I don’t often hear Maxwell’s name come up amongst the modern greats. Aside from my passively playing projects from his discography, I only ever hear “something something” at random cookouts.

I’d hate for the musicians/entertainment figures, we enjoy, to fade from our minds until it’s too late. So let’s show appreciation now.

From quirky swank, to abstract kaleidoscopic sound experiments, to working with Sade’s lead guitarists, to burning down MTV’s unplugged stage, to coming out of nowhere with a smash album full of validations and excuses to leave that girl when we couldn’t quite figure out why we wanted to... Maxwell’s music has been consistently path finding the figurative galactic unknown of black music space. Though the last album was a little painful, He’s never missed an opportunity to try something new. He’s always blindsided us with layered, warm, subtle yet colorful spectacle. Post your favorite songs and/or memories that relate to the music. In the meantime I’m about to play “Unplugged” real loud and get my neighbor’s draws gushy right quick.