In This Corner Presents Earnie Shavers

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Chopping wood makes your hands so fukking strong. That and knuckle pushups on concrete (which hurt like hell) will give you bricks for hands and shoulders

i do knuckle pushups to this day...my knuckles calloused over and made my forearms strong as fukk

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
shavers built his power the old school way..farming and chopping trees..lot of old school fighters did that...when cleveland williams got shot and was recovering, he built his body back up doing same type of thing

View attachment 14136

and shavers said when they were in a town with no trees moore used to bring in big truck tires to hit over and over. george foreman was trained by archie moore and was a tree chopper just as shavers was. foreman used to hit bags the same way he chopped down trees. this was the moore method.

irU6MOnG.gif

NJ99tevR.gif

these are no pity pat punches. he is punching through these bags. you dont see guys hit bags this way these days. guys just pity pat bags now.

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
and shavers said when they were in a town with no trees moore used to bring in big truck tires to hit over and over. george foreman was trained by archie moore and was a tree chopper just as shavers was. foreman used to hit bags the same way he chopped down trees. this was the moore method.

irU6MOnG.gif

NJ99tevR.gif

these are no pity pat punches. he is punching through these bags. you dont see guys hit bags this way these days. guys just pity pat bags now.
Yuzo, you think those old school techniques work over new ones? Or nah?

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
Close. I rate Sugar Ray Robinson, Muhammad Ali and Charley Burley as well.

But Chuvalo fought them all and was never dropped. Ever. plus he survived the deaths of his wife and kids and still remained sane

oh I was only talm bout hw.

all time I put hagler on there to..never koed or dropped either during 15rd era.

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
That video was such crack for so many reasons. Shavers looks like he could go in there and knock dudes out tomorrow. Great to see he has all his faculties with him and is doing well health wise. Was kinda funny to see him rocking the target jeans and new balances though. Him cutting off the ring was A plus shyt.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
That video was such crack for so many reasons. Shavers looks like he could go in there and knock dudes out tomorrow. Great to see he has all his faculties with him and is doing well health wise. Was kinda funny to see him rocking the target jeans and new balances though. Him cutting off the ring was A plus shyt.

shavers has the retina issue though..thats why one eye is off..but yeah he is mentally sound though..i mean dude last fought in 1995...that george foreman effect

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Chopping wood makes your hands so fukking strong. That and knuckle pushups on concrete (which hurt like hell) will give you bricks for hands and shoulders
shavers built his power the old school way..farming and chopping trees..lot of old school fighters did that...when cleveland williams got shot and was recovering, he built his body back up doing same type of thing

View attachment 14136

irU6MOnG.gif

NJ99tevR.gif

Yo knowledge being dropped here. I found this site some time ago and it had interesting points on this matter

Skip to content

ROSSBOXING.COM
Your Source For Boxing Training
MENU

SEARCH
Training Advice
Floyd Mayweather – Sticking To The Basics
Written by Ross on April 21st, 2015. 3 Comments

In a recent video, Floyd Mayweather was seen chopping wood in preparation for his upcoming bout with Manny Pacquiao. Ever since Floyd shared that short clip toInstagram, my inbox has been flooded with questions about wood chopping and its relevance to boxing. Before I elaborate on the subject, you can first hear Floyd discuss this old school training exercise in the video below.

Floyd Mayweather Chopping Wood
Floyd begins by explaining how he started chopping wood as an amateur boxer. Hearing that he chopped wood as a young fighter was no surprise to me. Many of the greatest fighters in the sport’s history have chopped wood or swung a sledgehammer. Both exercises will develop power and endurance.

Towards the end of the video, I enjoyed hearing Floyd state the following:

“I got to where I got to by sticking to the basics…”

In many ways, this single line solidifies much of what I’ve preached throughout this site. I’ve discussed countless fighters from previous generations who also thrived on the basics on their way to becoming all-time greats. Whether you are a fan of Mayweather or not, it is impossible to deny his talent and ability. Floyd has always been a gifted and highly conditioned fighter. He has excelled with a relatively simple approach to training.

Anyone who has ever been in camp with Mayweather will testify to his tremendous work ethic. I’ve personally heard from multiple sparring partners who were amazed at how hard he works when the cameras aren’t rolling. There’s much more to his training than a flashy mitt routine. He hits the bag hard, spars hard, skips rope at a furious pace, lifts weights, performs calisthenics, etc. There’s nothing fancy, just a consistent dose of hard work that’s applied to the basics.

Wood Chopping Origins
As for Floyd’s return to wood chopping, he’s not the first fighter to hack his way to greater strength and endurance. One of my favorite quotes about wood chopping comes from legendary puncher Earnie Shavers.

In a past interview, Earnie stated the following:

“Archie Moore showed all his old tricks to me when he trained me. He got me chopping trees to improve my explosive power in my legs, back, shoulders and arms which are all places where punching power comes from. ”

Shavers wasn’t the only heavyweight to chop wood however. An abbreviated list of additional fighters can be seen below.

George Foreman

woodchop1.jpg

Former heavyweight champion George Foreman spent plenty of time chopping wood. He certainly knew a few things about punching power.

Max Baer

woodchop2.jpg

Max Baer was also known to chop wood at training camp. He can be seen above preparing for his fight with Joe Louis. Unfortunately for Baer, Joe Louis was also a big fan of chopping wood. He went on to defeat Baer by knockout.

Jack Johnson

woodchop3.jpg

Jack Johnson was yet another legendary heavyweight from the past who spent plenty of time chopping wood. In the picture above, you’ll notice a huge pile of wood that he split while in camp. All of that wood chopping certainly helped his conditioning throughout a lengthy championship reign.

Muhammad Ali

woodchop4.jpg

Muhammad Ali also chopped wood and even cut down trees. He’s yet another all-time great who thrived on the basics. He didn’t need any fancy equipment to become one of the greatest heavyweight boxers ever.

Final Thoughts
In summary, chopping wood has long been a favorite exercise of world champion fighters. And if you don’t have wood to chop, you can certainly use a sledgehammer. For instance, Earnie Shavers also stated the following about his training:

“And when we trained where there were no trees to chop he (Archie Moore) brought in huge truck tires and got me hitting them with a sledgehammer over and over.”

As for chopping wood vs. swinging a sledge, I’ve spent plenty of time doing both. There are pros and cons to each. Swinging a sledgehammer is certainly more convenient though as it won’t make a mess and one tire will last a lifetime. Ultimately, whether you choose to chop wood or swing a sledgehammer, you can expect similar results however. Both activities are tremendous conditioning exercises that will also develop power.

Comments
comments

Post navigation
Previous Post:
Ike Quartey and His Bazooka Jab
Next Post:
Boxing Tips and Techniques From Jeff Mayweather
3 comments:
  1. 6f93d5f93fa7ceb7a940b863bc31552e
    luca says:
    April 27, 2015 at 12:09 pm
    For par condicio you should write about Manny’s stick training as well
    simple-smile.png

2. ac8abe0abcbc95d513c55c1ccbdafcec
    Angst says:
    July 6, 2015 at 1:32 am
    The physical compendium of physical activity list woodchopping as the 2nd highest calorie burner, right behind running 5 min miles, 17 mets vs 18 mets. Very surprising.
    In doing some excavating, I found the difference between digging with a shovel (no picnic itself) and swinging a pick axe quite striking (no pun intended), the pick axe work was quickly exhausting.

3. ac8abe0abcbc95d513c55c1ccbdafcec
    Angst says:
    July 6, 2015 at 10:11 pm
    The compendium of physical activity lists woodchopping as second in calorie burn only to running 5 min miles…. 17 mets vs 18 mets — very surprising. Woodchopping is far more exhausting than, say, ditch digging, which is no picnic either.
Comments are closed.

Boxing Wisdom
Proudly powered by WordPress | Theme:Simone by mor10.com