Indiana teen graduating from college before getting high school diploma

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis

Eighteen-year-old Raven Osborne is about to get her college degree.

"I graduate from college on May 5," she told CBS News' Jericka Duncan.

d2-duncan-double-grad3.jpg

Raven Osborne

CBS NEWS
But when does she graduate from high school? May 22.

Yes, it's true; Raven gets her college degree two weeks before her high school diploma.

"When people hear that … they're going, 'What? How did she do that?'" Duncan said.

"Yeah they think I'm lying," Raven said.

She did it through online classes, year-round community college and two years at Purdue University Northwest. Her semester-long college courses counted as a full year of high school credit.

"Sophomore, that was the most work. I had five high school classes, four college classes," she said.

Raven attends the 21st Century Charter High School in Gary, Indiana. The school is surrounded by dilapidated buildings, a common sight throughout the city.

Everyone here is required to take college classes on a college campus in order to graduate.

Some get just a few credits. Five of this year's 43 graduates earned associate's degrees. And then there's Raven.

d2-duncan-double-grad2.jpg

Kevin Teasley

CBS NEWS
Kevin Teasley started the foundation that runs the school. He uses state funding for tuition and transportation to nearby college campuses.

"The one line item I want to see go up every single year is how much I'm spending on college," Teasley said.

"When I started it was $10,000. Last year it was $85,000."

And how much did Raven pay for college? "Absolutely nothing," she said. "Not a dime."

d2-duncan-double-grad4.jpg

Raven Osborne teaching younger students.

CBS NEWS
This fall, Raven will be back at 21st Century Charter.

Instead of paying for college, the school will be paying her salary, $38,000 a year to teach.

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
I'm really impressed with what she has accomplished. Not a dime in debt and a career at 18.

Depending on the state, charter schools often receive less funding. Even if they do receive the same funding or in rare cases more, charter school teachers are often paid less than public school teachers and rarely have pensions with 401K-style retirements instead.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
great story, but 38k?:picard:

I know it's in Gary...but damn
considering how soon she making that its not far to say she may get the higher degrees and keep moving further up....all starting at 18 :jbhmm: if i made 38k at 18 with no debt out of school with degree in hand im gonna eat :jawalrus:

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
:ehh: that's really impressive. But it's a little disappointing that she won't have an actual college experience. I hope she doesn't regret that.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
:ehh: that's really impressive. But it's a little disappointing that she won't have an actual college experience. I hope she doesn't regret that.
when you think about what happens to most women in college (knocked up, wifed up :shaq:) this avenue aint that bad