Integration has done more harm than good, black people have less than 1% of nation's wealth

Vonte3000

Chance 3 :wow: :blessed:
Daps
Reppin
Darien Ga
If you aren't going to read all of this info an at least attempt to understand what I'm saying then just don't comment

As a result of integration blacks gave up independently owned businesses such as our own groceries and even movie theaters. Instead of our own black leagues of baseball we shut down entire teams for a few black men to play with whites. Black schools were shut down and we went into white schools and adopted their teachings and learned their history instead of our own.

In segregation we had to support our own communities, we produced as well as consumed but after integration we turned purely into consumers and we no longer produce anything for ourselves, we go to every other race but our own to buy the things we need and as a result make others richer while using up what little money we attain and not allowing it to circulate in our own communities.

"After segregation ended, African-Americans flocked to support businesses owned by whites and other groups, causing Black restaurants, theaters, insurance companies, banks, etc. to almost disappear. Today, Black people spend 95 percent of their income at white-owned businesses."

"Even though the number of Black firms has grown 60.5 percent between 2002 and 2007, they only make up 7 percent of all U.S firms, and less than .005 percent of all U.S business receipts."

"In 1865, just after Emancipation, 476,748 free Blacks – 1.5 percent of U.S. population– owned a .005 percent of the total wealth of the United States. Today, a full 135 years after the abolition of slavery, 44.5 million Black Americans – 14.2 percent of the population — possess a meager 1 percent of the national wealth."

Black people own half of 1 percent of this nations entire wealth :wow:

http://atlantablackstar.com/2013/12/09/5-ways-integration-underdeveloped-black-america/

Was Integration a Good Thing for Black People? Probably Not
http://www.africanglobe.net/featured/integration-good-black-people/

"I argue that integration didn’t work in our favor because there is a difference between giving up a portion of your economic sovereignty in exchange for a true partnership vs giving up nearly everything to allow yourself to become an occupied state. For example, if I were to give up my business and “integrate” myself into the management of a large company, I would probably be a very different (and more highly paid) man from the one you are hearing from right now. In fact, I’d probably be speaking a different political language altogether because few majority White institutions would allow me to speak the way I do in public (just ask Syracuse University, where I put my academic freedom to the test).

So, the conclusion is not that integration is always a bad thing. Integration can be a wonderful thing, since White Americans have hoarded most of the nation’s resources (due to our oppression), and integrating gives us an opportunity to have a piece of the American pie. But integrating in such a way that makes you dependent on others can put your socio-economic security at risk.

Years after achieving the “dream” of integration, we have seen our poisoned and misguided financial chickens coming home to roost. When the 2008 economic crisis hit America, Whites took a small hit and soon recovered, but Black wealth dropped by over half.

Black unemployment hit levels that we haven’t seen in over 30 years. The young men who should be heading our families are filling up the jails and prisons, and our public schools have become prisons with training wheels. There is nothing pretty about this form of integration, where even our best, brightest and strongest are in no position to help those of us who are struggling.

The fact is that we must critically assess the extraordinary work of Dr. Martin Luther King while simultaneously realizing that his work was not complete. He died at the young age of 39 years old, and was speaking boldly about the importance of economic sustainability as a critical component to achieving true equality in a capitalist society."

http://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/tserve/freedom/1865-1917/essays/segregation.htm

"Racial segregation was a system derived from the efforts of white Americans to keep African Americans in a subordinate status by denying them equal access to public facilities and ensuring that blacks lived apart from whites."

"African Americans did gain admission to desegregated public accommodations, but racial segregation, or Jim Crow as it became popularly known, remained the custom."

"Following the Civil War, blacks formed their own schools, churches, and civic organizations over which they exercised control that provided independence from white authorities, including their former masters. African Americans took great pride in the institutions they built in their communities. Black businessmen accumulated wealth by catering to a Negro clientele in need of banks, insurance companies, health services, barber shops and beauty parlors, entertainment, and funeral homes. African Americans as diverse politically as Booker T. Washington in the 1890s, Marcus Garvey in the 1920s, W.E.B. DuBois in the 1930s advocated that blacks concentrate on promoting self-help within their communities and develop their own economic,social, and cultural institutions. Ironically, one of the unintended side effects of racial integration in the second half of the twentieth century was the erosion of longstanding black business andeducational institutions that served African-Americans during Jim Crow. Integration weakened some black community institutions."

Individually we're better but as a whole we're worse off. In integration we lost our pride along with all those black businesses. Hotels for example
http://www.nabhood.net/home/index.php/about-us/history-of-black-owned-hotels

How many black owned hotels are there today? How many black owned businesses are their period? Back then we were forced to create our own places to do business because no one else would give us business. Like I said in an earlier post, a restaurant wouldn't serve us so we went and built and managed our owns. Now if something like that were to happen we would call the press, bring media attention to it or do anything but make our own alternative. The Montgomery bus boycotts are a good example.
Blacks owned their own bus companies and taxis too.
http://www.nctrans.org/Media/Releases/Historic-African-American-owned-Safe-Bus-Company-o.aspx
http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/article_5613c018-d6f3-11e2-8657-0019bb30f31a.html

taxi companies, buses all of that for blacks, the boycotts were a very courageous act and such but instead of boycotting them for forcing blacks to the back of the bus, we could have opened or went to a business for black transportation instead.

Look at the statistics for today's black businesses

"Despite the 60.5% increase of firms, 55% increase of receipts, and 13% increase of businesses with paid employees,Black owned businesses only make up 7% of all U.S firms and less than a half percent of all U.S business receipts. African American Adults (ages 10 and up) make up 10% of the adult population and are therefore underrepresented in the U.S. in terms of business ownership especially when it comes to earnings."

Overview-of-Black-Owned-Business.jpg

Facebook-Dearth-of-Black-Business.jpg

Dearth-
a scarcity or lack of something.
"there is a dearth of evidence"
This is important because we are no better off economically than pre-segregation. Like the articles say our growth is stagnant, there is none. Whether we declined or not is something that would take me a little longer but with our loss of independence in desegregation I would think we did.

If you don't want to watch the whole video just start at 5:00 and watch until you've seen enough

Edit: I can tell half of you aren't fully reading the articles or watching the fukking video so I'll spell this out.

Nowhere in the articles, my statements or the video does it say black people were better off in segregation Anywhere!! It is all focused on the black communities Economic and Financial standing in America both now and before desegregation. My post is saying that individually we are better off but as a community we have fallen off even further. It is not saying segregated bathrooms were a good thing! :shaq2: How you even got to that conclusion is fukkin beyond me :mindblown:

This is all from an economic stand point

Last edited:

Vonte3000

Daps
Reppin
Darien Ga
Shoulda listened to Malcolm....:to:
I'm not sure Malcolm had it completely right, I definitely agree on his idea of education about black ancestry. shyt up until my later years of high school if somebody said African history to me I would've pictured blacks in loin cloths poking in the dirt with sticks getting eaten by lions. :snoop:

No excuse for me to have had that image in my head about my own people, but I was never taught anything besides the idea that blacks were unintelligent slaves throughout history and nothing else when really it was the opposite

Last edited:

Vonte3000

Daps
Reppin
Darien Ga
We all know the concept of segregation is a thing of the past. Too many blacks in America worship at the feet of white people. Our pathetic media personalities and athletes are a glaring example of this.
We're the only ones with people like that too but it's only a result of a system rewarding blacks for turning on each other that's still in effect today

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
I'm not sure Malcolm had it completely right, I definitely agree on his idea of education about black ancestry. shyt up until my later years of high school of somebody said African history to me I would've pictured blacks in loin cloths poking in the dirt with sticks getting eaten by lions. :snoop:

No excuse for me to have had that image in my head about my own people, but I was never taught anything besides the idea that blacks were unintelligent slaves throughout history and nothing else when really it was the opposite

Nah Malcolm's approach was the only way we'd see Dr. King's dream. He was the one talkin Black Nationalism, control of black economics, building up the community, etc etc. Black people truly becoming equals at the table is better than forced integration with people that have learned to hate you for several generations and control all the institutions you depend on for further stability and development.

Vonte3000

Daps
Reppin
Darien Ga
Nah Malcolm's approach was the only way we'd see Dr. King's dream. He was the one talkin Black Nationalism, control of black economics, building up the community, etc etc. Black people truly becoming equals at the table is better than forced integration with people that have learned to hate you for several generations and control all the institutions you depend on for further stability and development.
Yepp, it was the Islam thing I was iffy on but he was unsure of it too apparently

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
This article doesn't really do a good job proving that any of these issues (unemployment, prison rates, kids out of wedlock, etc.) are actually because of integration. It seems like the writer is just blaming all the problems of the black community on integration, which is shallow at best.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
"Even though the number of Black firms has grown 60.5 percent between 2002 and 2007, they only make up 7 percent of all U.S firms, and less than .005 percent of all U.S business receipts."

"In 1865, just after Emancipation, 476,748 free Blacks – 1.5 percent of U.S. population– owned a .005 percent of the total wealth of the United States. Today, a full 135 years after the abolition of slavery, 44.5 million Black Americans – 14.2 percent of the population — possess a meager 1 percent of the national wealth."

Black people own half of 1 percent of this nations entire wealth
:wow:

Have the combined wealth of African Americans in 2014 brehs.
alabama_Leprechaun.gif

Wonder what the methodology was to get these stats??? I'm curious what percentage Asians and Hispanics have in the U.S.??

Deep thread though. :snoop:

Last edited:

A Real Human Bean

and a real hero
Daps
This argument is extremely short-sighted. Yes, black wealth is low (incredibly low after the most recent major market failure) but integration isn't at fault as much as the various economic issues we've been experiencing in the United States.

The author presented no evidence that would lead one to believe integration is the cause of the wealth situation in the black community.

Vonte3000

Daps
Reppin
Darien Ga
This article doesn't really do a good job proving that any of these issues (unemployment, prison rates, kids out of wedlock, etc.) are actually because of integration. It seems like the writer is just blaming all the problems of the black community on integration, which is shallow at best.
There's two articles but if you don't really feel like you agree there's other stuff I can add on to the OP. The articles are saying that we were better off without integration, before we had businesses and actual communities with our own independent economy. We gave up such things integrating with others. Dr. Anderson's video does a good job of explaining things it's long but worth it

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
Point taken, as was illustrated by a visit to my grandfather's home town in Mississippi, but I still disagree with the original premise. I'll still take being black in my day over his day, and many of the issues inhibiting black people from starting there own businesses are frankly affecting white people who aren't a part of existing corporate power structure.

Vonte3000

Daps
Reppin
Darien Ga
This argument is extremely short-sighted. Yes, black wealth is low (incredibly low after the most recent major market failure) but integration isn't at fault as much as the various economic failures we've experienced in America. The author presented no evidence that would lead one to believe integration is the cause of the wealth situation in the black community.
It's in the video for the other part but it's a combination of things including the system of oppression that was used to allocate all the resources into the hands of whites and lock black people out of it. Integration is a factor but not the main cause but we definitely had more before it

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
We're the only ones with people like that too but it's only a result of a system rewarding blacks for turning on each other that's still in effect today
I agree, but I wouldn't say we are the only ones, especially when you look at how many Asians and Indians are also white washed like many Black folks

The existence of new Blacks are partly due to the reward system you speak of