Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Major U.S. Internet Providers Accused of Deliberately Slowing Traffic
Andrew Webster, The VergeMay 6, 2014
a48b6438a2802af09d21f05bf68ce679f1aff018.jpg

Five major internet service providers in the US and one in Europe have been accused of abusing their market share to interfere with the flow of the internet for end users. The accusations come from Level 3, a communications company that helps connect large-scale ISPs like Comcast or AT&T to the rest of the internet. According to the company, these six unnamed ISPs are deliberately degrading the quality of internet services using the Level 3 network, in an attempt to get Level 3 to pay them a fee for additional traffic caused by services like Netflix, a process known as paid peering.

"They are not allowing us to fulfill the requests their customers make for content."

"They are deliberately harming the service they deliver to their paying customers," writes Level 3’s Mark Taylor. "They are not allowing us to fulfill the requests their customers make for content." While Taylor doesn’t name names, he describes the six offenders as "large broadband consumer networks with a dominant or exclusive market share in their local market." He adds that "in countries or markets where consumers have multiple broadband choices (like the UK) there are no congested peers." He also says that Level 3 won’t be paying up. "Our policy is to refuse to pay arbitrary charges to add interconnection capacity," he explains.

The situation recalls recent claims by Netflix that Comcast is intentionally throttling traffic with intermediaries like Level 3 and Cogent, a problem that Netflix says ultimately led it to start signing direct traffic deals — Comcast and Verizon have been paid so far, with more likely to come. Since the Comcast deal, Netflix says its streaming speeds on Comcast have increased 65 percent. But despite the performance improvement, Netflix doesn’t appear happy about the arrangement. “While in the short term Netflix will in cases reluctantly pay large ISPs to ensure a high quality member experience,” CEO Reed Hastings said back in March, “we will continue to fight for the internet the world needs and deserves.”

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
damn...I just heard this............................:wow:

So disgusting .................................................................................

Yet, the biggest story is this bball owner in LA, with entire segments dedicated to this................................................but when was the last cable news story on net neutrality??? I don't even have cable...but I guarantee they aren't talking about his on the MSM TV

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
The internet providers should be able to charge people appropriately. Some people just run those Neflix streams all day, or they download torrents 24 hours day.

I just read stuff and maybe watch a youtube video here and there. I don't see why I should pay the same amount as these users and abusers.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
The internet providers should be able to charge people appropriately. Some people just run those Neflix streams all day, or they download torrents 24 hours day.

I just read stuff and maybe watch a youtube video here and there. I don't see why I should pay the same amount as these users and abusers.

that's what data caps are for. :birdman:

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
that's what data caps are for. :birdman:

Maybe I could get away with a cheaper price? 10 bucks a month for high speed internet except I don't get to use Amazon prime or netflix, and get limited youtube and perhaps a Data cap. I'd be cool with that.

Then the Jack-off hobbiest have to pay around 50 dollars a month for Xvideo and all that shyt and the netflix homebodies/torrent pirates can pay like 80 dollars a month.

Seems fair to me.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY

Stop caping for these telecos....they can more than afford to give us even FASTER speeds

TW is about to give everyone in NY 4x the speeds they previously had. Oh all of a sudden you can do that? Yeah ok

Places like SK and Western Europe are looking at us like....50 Mbit?? :russ:

Dudes love getting fukked in the ass by these corporations...they are not your homie! :smh:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
I'm not surprised they can't control shyt, so they do whatever they can to manipulate it. Corrupt b*stards

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

:dahell: you don't have too

tmonster

Superstar
Daps

how would you suggest they price it?
like how much per bit?

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
:dahell: you don't have too
Dudes don't get it...

I don't give a flying fukk what anyone else does on the internet. That's not my business. I want to do whatever it is I WANT TO DO.

That does not...in any way...shape or form...affect YOU

That is bullshyt the telecoms tell you because they want to be able to squeeze every last possible bit of profit from the service they provide, even if it means that they will essentially start charging you for the quality of data, something that should and always has been FREE.

Once again...the telecoms do not make money based on what people do on the internet, they don't make less profit because people want to torrent. NOTHING YOU DO COSTS THEM ANYTHING.

The problem is subscribers....everyone who is going to get internet more or less has it already. There is no more money to be made because they are not getting as many subscribers.

That is not my fukking problem. Give me my data, give me my data speeds. Period.

Last edited: