Internet Should Be Open, No Fast or Slow Lanes, Obama Says

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Superstar
Daps
Be very careful. He wants to put the internet at the total mercy of the FCC. If you read about the FCC, and who Obama appointed to take charge, you will quickly learn why this has the potential to be very bad. It's putting Larry Summers in charge all over again.

Much like the DMCA and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, a total shift of the internet under the FCC will likely produce dire consequences.

Hmmm...

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...-obamas-call-to-treat-broadband-as-a-utility/

Tony D'Amato

It's all about the inches
Daps
Reppin
Inches

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Be very careful. He wants to put the internet at the total mercy of the FCC. If you read about the FCC, and who Obama appointed to take charge, you will quickly learn why this has the potential to be very bad. It's putting Larry Summers in charge all over again.

Much like the DMCA and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, a total shift of the internet under the FCC will likely produce dire consequences.
:snoop: I have no idea what you are talking about here. Obama is literally advoating giving those who favor net-neutrality the exact stance they want. This is not some typical broad Obama statement, he literally advocated reclassification in the exact manner liberal advocates (like me) asked for all year. @Broletariat you guys do TUH more harm than good by co-signing him even when he does not fully understand issues as long as it fits his narrative entirely taking down the republic. But I guess when you let the base down as much as Democrats, people both from the left and right can say shyt with no facts to support it. :russ: But the FCC is autonomous so they will do what they want to some degree (Obama appointed Wheeler so he as no excuse if Wheeler goes another way) :manny: But go ahead, as I have found myself doing too often across every forum on here over the past month, provide facts to support this stance. Here is what Obama said for those who did not read,

Obama's big net neutrality announcement, explained
Updated by Timothy B. Lee on November 10, 2014, 11:41 a.m. ET

455529938.0.jpg

President Obama just weighed in on the most controversial issue in internet regulation: whether to put broadband internet service into a different legal category to allow more regulation. Advocates say this change, known as reclassification, is essential if the Federal Communications Commission is to protect network neutrality. But critics say the move could tie the internet up in red tape, slowing investment and innovation.

Here's what you need to know.

What is reclassification?
Technology companies and open internet activists want regulations protecting network neutrality. That's the idea that all content and services on the internet should receive equal treatment online. Advocates say that without network neutrality, big companies will be able to pay for their content to be delivered over a virtual 'fast lane,' leaving the rest of the internet stuck in the slow lane.

But there's a big problem: the FCC currently places broadband services into a regulatory category that precludes this kind of regulation.

Under current law, communications services fall into two categories. The "information services" category is designed for online services such as Facebook and Netflix. The law sharply restricts the FCC's ability to regulate services in this category. The second category, "telecommunications services," is designed for public utilities such as traditional phone service. The FCC has broad powers to regulate services in this second category.

For the last decade, the FCC has put broadband internet into the low-regulation "information services" category. Yet in 2010, the FCC tried to impose network neutrality regulations on broadband providers anyway. The courts said that was illegal: if you want to regulate a service like a public utility, you have to first put it into the public utility category.

Network neutrality activists have been urging the FCC to do just that: to "reclassify" broadband as a telecommunications service. They believe this is the only way to have strong protection for network neutrality.

Does President Obama's announcement mean that we're going to get those strong net neutrality regulations?
No. The FCC is an independent agency. Its five commissioners are appointed by the president, but once they're in office the president can't remove them or overrule their decisions. So officially, President Obama is simply offering the commission his opinion. The FCC could ignore him and do something different.

But obviously, the president isn't just a random citizen. His decision to speak out will intensify the already significant pressure the FCC is facing from liberal activists and technology companies for reclassification.

What's the case against reclassification?
Network neutrality opponents say it's not possible to have just a little bit of utility regulation: once you put broadband in the high-regulation bucket, it's going to get slammed by a ton of outdated regulations that were designed for old telephone networks.

For example, the Telecommunications Act imposes a complex system of price regulations on telecommunications providers. Critics say this cumbersome and bureaucratic rate-setting process is ill-suited for the fast-changing internet economy. They warn that reclassification would cause the FCC — and, more importantly, the internet economy — to get bogged down with red tape.

Would reclassification really bog the internet down in red tape?
Proponents don't think so. They acknowledge that some of the regulations that govern traditional telecommunications services are a poor fit for the internet. But they argue that the FCC can address these concerns with a legal process called forbearance.

The 1996 Telecommunications Act was enacted by a Republican Congress that was anxious to avoid excessive regulation. So they included a provision allowing the FCC to forbear — that is, not enforce — any regulations that it judged to be contrary to the public interest.

So advocates argue that the FCC can re-classify broadband as a telecommunications service, but then it can use its forbearance power to cancel the most burdensome requirements the law would otherwise impose as a result. Opponents say that might not work, but their arguments aren't very convincing.

How has FCC Chairman Wheeler responded?
In a statement released an hour after Obama, Wheeler thanked Obama for his comments but stressed that the FCC is an independent agency. He was noncommittal about Obama's call for reclassification.

"The more deeply we examined the issues around the various legal options, the more it has become plain that there is more work to do," he wrote. He said that he was considering multiple options, including reclassification. These options "raise substantive legal questions," he argued.

"We found we would need more time to examine these to ensure that whatever approach is taken, it can withstand any legal challenges it may face."

What happens now?
Officially, Obama's announcement doesn't change anything. FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler has signaled that he plans to announce his final network neutrality rule before the end of the year. He'll continue working on his proposal.

To enact new regulations, he needs to convince two other FCC commissioners — most likely, the other two Democrats — to go along with his proposal. Obama's comments may be aimed at these commissioners as much as the chairman. If they insist on full reclassification, and refuse to accept any regulations short of that, Wheeler might feel he has no choice but to go along.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Cause he says one thing, and does the other like a true politician. All bark, no bite. He said it again so lets big him up for saying it :camby:
Eh...except appointing Wheeler (which is a big except), you really cannot claim Obama did not come in supporting net neutrality.

How has the FCC regulated network neutrality under President Obama?

Barack Obama campaigned for president as a supporter of network neutrality in 2008. When he took office, he named Julius Genachowski chair of the Federal Communications Commission. In 2010, Genachowski announced regulations that prohibited ISPs from blocking online content, prohibited "unreasonable" discrimination, and required ISPs to be more transparent about their policies.

Verizon challenged these rules in court, arguing that the rules went beyond the powers Congress had granted to the agency. The DC Circuit Appeals Court agreed with Verizon in early 2014 and struck down the rules.

By this point, the FCC had a new chairman, Tom Wheeler. Like his predecessor, Wheeler wanted regulations that would protect network neutrality. But the DC Circuit's ruling for Verizon constrained his ability to do so. So in May, the FCC unveiled a new set of rules that allow ISPs to give some content priority over others if doing so is "commercially reasonable."

Since May, the FCC has been gathering public comments on the proposal. And those comments have been overwhelmingly negative. Most network neutrality supporters believe that allowing "commercially reasonable" discrimination will become a giant loophole that allows incumbent broadband providers to undermine the open internet.

Many network neutrality supporters are urging the FCC to use a legal maneuver called reclassification to claim broader powers to regulate broadband providers.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
What's the case against reclassification?
Network neutrality opponents say it's not possible to have just a little bit of utility regulation: once you put broadband in the high-regulation bucket, it's going to get slammed by a ton of outdated regulations that were designed for old telephone networks.

For example, the Telecommunications Act imposes a complex system of price regulations on telecommunications providers. Critics say this cumbersome and bureaucratic rate-setting process is ill-suited for the fast-changing internet economy. They warn that reclassification would cause the FCC — and, more importantly, the internet economy — to get bogged down with red tape.
:wow: #factsonly

Yapdatfool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Eh...except appointing Wheeler (which is a big except), you really cannot claim Obama did not come in supporting net neutrality.

How has the FCC regulated network neutrality under President Obama?

Barack Obama campaigned for president as a supporter of network neutrality in 2008. When he took office, he named Julius Genachowski chair of the Federal Communications Commission. In 2010, Genachowski announced regulations that prohibited ISPs from blocking online content, prohibited "unreasonable" discrimination, and required ISPs to be more transparent about their policies.

Verizon challenged these rules in court, arguing that the rules went beyond the powers Congress had granted to the agency. The DC Circuit Appeals Court agreed with Verizon in early 2014 and struck down the rules.

By this point, the FCC had a new chairman, Tom Wheeler. Like his predecessor, Wheeler wanted regulations that would protect network neutrality. But the DC Circuit's ruling for Verizon constrained his ability to do so. So in May, the FCC unveiled a new set of rules that allow ISPs to give some content priority over others if doing so is "commercially reasonable."

Since May, the FCC has been gathering public comments on the proposal. And those comments have been overwhelmingly negative. Most network neutrality supporters believe that allowing "commercially reasonable" discrimination will become a giant loophole that allows incumbent broadband providers to undermine the open internet.

Many network neutrality supporters are urging the FCC to use a legal maneuver called reclassification to claim broader powers to regulate broadband providers.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
:snoop: I have no idea what you are talking about here. Obama is literally advoating giving those who favor net-neutrality the exact stance they want. This is not some typical broad Obama statement, he literally advocated reclassification in the exact manner liberal advocates (like me) asked for all year. @Broletariat you guys do TUH more harm than good by co-signing him even when he does not fully understand issues as long as it fits his narrative entirely taking down the republic. But I guess when you let the base down as much as Democrats, people both from the left and right can say shyt with no facts to support it. :russ: But the FCC is autonomous so they will do what they want to some degree (Obama appointed Wheeler so he as no excuse if Wheeler goes another way) :manny: But go ahead, as I have found myself doing too often across every forum on here over the past month, provide facts to support this stance. Here is what Obama said for those who did not read,

Obama's big net neutrality announcement, explained
Updated by Timothy B. Lee on November 10, 2014, 11:41 a.m. ET

455529938.0.jpg

Can you explain to me how you said anything different than I did? Read my post again.

You:
But the FCC is autonomous so they will do what they want to some degree (Obama appointed Wheeler so he as no excuse if Wheeler goes another way)

Me:

You have mental problems.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans

50CentStan

Allahu Akbar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Ummah!
:obama: - That is uh, a very good and um, relevant question my good man. It's simple, what I've uh done here, is.....I've appointed uh, someone with intimate knowledge of how these huge media conglomerates work and uh I have faith, and uh, the American people should too, that Mr. Wheeler is going to use that knowledge to benefit the consumer. Tom Wheeler, he uh, he has my full support and he should have yours too.

you gotta start it off with "well look..." if youre going to do a barry impression bruh

Meta Reign

I walk the streets like, ''say something, n!gga!''
Daps
Reppin
Franklin ave.
Mannn we better watch the fukk out. That kewn only talks like that when he's about to deliver a public buttfukking of epic proportion s.