bnew

Veteran
Daps

The gap in wealth between Black and white Americans is a product of historical realities that continue to shape economic outcomes. Policy interventions to address current wealth disparities must understand the long-standing inequities that contributed to them.

To help inform those policy discussions, RAND researchers have investigated how wealth is accumulated, the potential effects of particular policy responses, and the social mobility prospects of African Americans. The discussion papers in this series will be followed by future research efforts.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high

The gap in wealth between Black and white Americans is a product of historical realities that continue to shape economic outcomes. Policy interventions to address current wealth disparities must understand the long-standing inequities that contributed to them.

To help inform those policy discussions, RAND researchers have investigated how wealth is accumulated, the potential effects of particular policy responses, and the social mobility prospects of African Americans. The discussion papers in this series will be followed by future research efforts.

So... according to them it would take $15 Trillion of direct reparations to eliminate the wealth gap.

If we do race-neutral policies, it'd take upwards of $30 Trillion.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin

So... according to them it would take $15 Trillion of direct reparations to eliminate the wealth gap.

Apparently if you target it by race and current wealth, it would only take $1.5 T to eliminate the wealth gap

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Key Findings​

• There is no evidence that the wealth gap could ever close without significant intervention. Wealth-allocation policies can close the racial wealth gap, but only if coupled with broader policies aimed at reducing overall wealth inequality in the United States.
  • Over the past 30 years, the wealth gap has widened rather than narrowed.
  • A wealth-allocation policy of $500 billion, spread equally across all Black households, could reduce median wealth disparity by 17 percent; a policy of $1.5 trillion could halve median disparity; and a policy of $3 trillion could eliminate median wealth disparity.
  • Focusing instead on mean wealth disparity, a wealth-allocation policy of $7.5 trillion, spread equally across all Black households, could reduce mean wealth disparity by 50 percent, and a policy of $15 trillion could eliminate mean wealth disparity.
  • Given the larger percentage of Black households toward the bottom of the wealth distribution, Black households benefit relatively more than white households by race-neutral allocations. The effect is, however, small: A 30-percent reduction in median disparity would require a total allocation of $9.6 trillion.
  • Equal allocations to all Black households lead to better results for disparity compared with race-neutral policies that use small to moderate total allocation values. However, as wealth-allocation policy grows to include more households, race-neutral policies will have larger impacts on overall disparity.
  • Targeted wealth-allocation policies are better at disparity reduction than their equivalent equal non-targeted policies. Under these targeted policies, median wealth disparity could be halved with a $760-billion policy and eliminated with a $1.6-trillion policy.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
What's the gap between married black couples and married white couples?

It's just as bad or worse...

HnQTuee.png

Amo Husserl

All Star
Daps
Occupational licensing and certifications from colleges and universities are good.
Some colleges have licensing programs only a few courses long.
Mix and match on resumes, market these skills with a degree or vocation.