Is America's faith in Democracy any different than a Religious Extremist's faith?

Shogun

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
The notion that Democracy is the ideal form of government is neither supported by history or the Western Philosophical tradition, yet we believe it to be and are taught history in an inaccurate manner so as to uphold that narrative.

We engage in foreign conquest, violence, and oppression under the banner of "spreading Democracy".

We categorize all human societies as "good" or "bad" based on their adherence to its principals, even though we do a questionable job of adhering to those principals ourselves.

We have impassioned debates and physical conflict over the "proper" interpretation of it, and who is, in essence, the "most loyal" to its ideals.

Questioning the merits of it in public will result in social ostracism, and possibly even detainment.

Questioning it's merits will generally result in accusations meant to completely discredit the questioner (Nazi, Communist, etc..)

There's plenty more parallels, I'm sure.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I would say it is not like a religious faith in that it doesn't require belief in unscientific things or 'faith' in the supernatural. It's a set of ideas that people agree with or not.

Shogun

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
I would say it is not like a religious faith in that it doesn't require belief in unscientific things or 'faith' in the supernatural. It's a set of ideas that people agree with or not.
You could probably argue that it ascribes a set of supernatural characteristics to humanity.
I would say capitalism more than democracy. America doesn't believe in Democracy, it was forced into it.
I tend to think of American Democracy and Capitalism as one in the same.
Regardless, I think that agrees with the implication here....we profess to be something we certainly are not....

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
You could probably argue that it ascribes a set of supernatural characteristics to humanity.
Hmmm . . . or ignores human nature or oversimplifies humanity as all acting and thinking alike maybe? I can buy that.
The good thing is if US Democracy was more transparent it would leaves a trail of what the majority wanted at a given election date. And that kinda holds the electorate accountable. For example:
  • Candidate A says they will do B and once elected all this terrible stuff happened. Therefore, when another candidate similar to A says the same things there will be a precedence the media can point to and show how it didn't garner the proper results and the electorate can reject don't not do the same thing again.

Last edited: