Is Covid hurting the Gaming Industry

SteelCitySoldier

TSC Fantasy Football Champion 2016
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
Hear me out, I'm not making excuses but let's take a serious look at this. Before Covid you would have a whole staff of people sitting in one building so whenever someone got stuck on something or needed some help you had an entire room of people who you could run it through.

Fast forward to today and I would think a lot of these people are working from home and everything is being done from several locations. With that they don't have the luxury of getting "hands on help" and are attempting to fix things over the phone or through emails. With that you have to take more time, more energy and then you're staring at deadlines (that have already been lengthened because of two or three previous delays) which need to be met, so the company ends up putting out a shytty product hoping that it can be fixed through updates and recoding but as we all know once you recode something there is a very good chance that something else will be fukked up because of the change.

It's something that I have been thinking about ever since the crazy shyt with Cyberpunk and was wondering what the Coli fam thought about it.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Hear me out, I'm not making excuses but let's take a serious look at this. Before Covid you would have a whole staff of people sitting in one building so whenever someone got stuck on something or needed some help you had an entire room of people who you could run it through.

Fast forward to today and I would think a lot of these people are working from home and everything is being done from several locations. With that they don't have the luxury of getting "hands on help" and are attempting to fix things over the phone or through emails. With that you have to take more time, more energy and then you're staring at deadlines (that have already been lengthened because of two or three previous delays) which need to be met, so the company ends up putting out a shytty product hoping that it can be fixed through updates and recoding but as we all know once you recode something there is a very good chance that something else will be fukked up because of the change.

It's something that I have been thinking about ever since the crazy shyt with Cyberpunk and was wondering what the Coli fam thought about it.
No we need to stop making excuses for companies. Fallout 76, Anthem, and a slew of other games have been released as a buggy mess before covid and many games have come out during covid that weren't. Technology is at a point where we can share our entire desktops with our teams and get whatever assistance we need no matter where we are in the world. Hands on help is a few clicks away so that's no longer an excuse.

Cyberpunk was a mess because of the people who make the decisions refused to do the right thing at the risk of losing money. The PS4 and Xbox One versions should have been scraped and focus should have been solely on PC with a console release at a later date. CDPR fukked up and that is on them. They knew the game wasn't ready which is why they didn't allow the console version to be reviewed prior to release and tried to suppress things about the PC version.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
nah COVID ain’t to blame for them pushing out a game that falls extremely short of what was promised...and the industry had record sales last year due to COVID if anything and no other gaming company came close to experiencing the catastrophic mess that cyberpunk did

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
nah COVID ain’t to blame for them pushing out a game that falls extremely short of what was promised...and the industry had record sales last year due to COVID if anything and no other gaming company came close to experiencing the catastrophic mess that cyberpunk did
well some of them didn't experience a catastrophic mess because they delayed their game. games that were supposed to come out in 2020:

Deathloop
Dying Light 2
Halo
FarCry 6
Kena
The Medium
Rainbow Six Quarantine
The Ascent
CrossfireX

probably some more I'm forgetting...

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
well some of them didn't experience a catastrophic mess because they delayed their game. games that were supposed to come out in 2020:

Deathloop
Dying Light 2
Halo
FarCry 6
Kena
The Medium
Rainbow Six Quarantine
The Ascent
CrossfireX

probably some more I'm forgetting...
Games get delayed everyday, b.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I felt like it only really affected Nintendo significantly. Majority of the other companies continued business as usual.

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
even though it might be 'easy' for dev's to work remotely, I doubt the chemistry is the same as actually being in the same room with your coworkers

you also have to consider that some people might get sick, and not be able to work at all for some time
nikkas in here saying “nah” like they make games n shyt. It’s undoubtedly harder because developers themselves have said some of their best game ideas have come from someone just walking past a meeting and coming up with a creative solution on the spot. The human interaction is important because making games isn’t a linear process. It’s way more free flow so dealing with Covid and working remote u lose all of that.

SteelCitySoldier

TSC Fantasy Football Champion 2016
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
nikkas in here saying “nah” like they make games n shyt. It’s undoubtedly harder because developers themselves have said some of their best game ideas have come from someone just walking past a meeting and coming up with a creative solution on the spot. The human interaction is important because making games isn’t a linear process. It’s way more free flow so dealing with Covid and working remote u lose all of that.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. It's the little things like this that I feel like are hurting the industry right now. Yes sales are most likely at am all time high because of Covid but we are seeing more and more trash games coming out despite the sales. We all know that games get pushed back and that games come out buggy but it seems like it's becoming worse now. I truly feel like Covid has caused somewhat of a problem here. Can we blame it all on Covid, obviously not but we have to agree that it has caused a problem.