Is Derrick James Overrated?

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
It's dangerous to call trainers overrated just because their fighters lose. At the end of the day every fighter has limitations. Trainers can only help them reach their fullest potential. And derrick James does a great job at that. He gets the most out of his fighters abilities. He just ran into a guy who he had no answers for.

There's nothing he could have done for Errol Spence to beat bud. The skill difference was just too much. Errol was fukked whether he pressured bud or boxed him. Errol could've had the ghosts of Manny steward and cus d'amato in his corner and he woulda gotten beat the same exact way. Some guys are just too great.

Jerz

All Star
Daps
He definitely gon look suspicious - if his prime undisputed fighter - gets folded up, by a washed Canelo

rbksNgirbauds

Even on the court we stay flyy, Jada & A.I.
Daps
Spence wasn't winning that fight even if Roger Mayweather (rest in peace) were in his corner....if thats what this thread is mostly about.

That was just a style matchup from hell. A lot of Errol's weaknesses/flaws like being froze on that lead leg at times and reaching , literally mirrored Crawford's strength(stepping back and countering). Spence as a fighter would have had to have been reconstructed for him to have won that bout. His game is just too limited for a fighter of that caliber. And I say that as a fan of his game but it's either plan A or plan A with maxed out effort with Spence. Crawford had him figured out by rd 2!

And then you add in the accident, the surgery, the seeming lack of discipline in between fights , and outgrowing the division and what we got the other night is the result.....that's not to absolve James. He seems a bit too arrogant at times, but I don't doubt his boxing knowledge. I don't think any of us on this board has the qualifications to do so. I do however doubt his ability to help build a complete fighter tho because we've yet to see it.
We'll see how Frank's career turns out, but even he loses to Keyshawn if you ask me, for the same reason Spence got mud puddled by Bud, they don't have as many wrinkles as Bomacs fighters

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I haven’t seen enough of him with different fighters that he started with early. It’s hard to say a trainer is overrated but from what we are hearing his camps could be grueling and you don’t want to overtrain fighters.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Derrick James is definitely overrated. His fighter lost to the number one p4p fighter in the world. Shyt that's all it takes

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
Yeah I don't think this is fair. I don't this it's his fault that Jermell chose not to fight. I think he's still a good trainer all things considered. I bet against both his fighters too. If we're being real, his fighters were the heavy underdogs in both fights

• Dap
Reactions: Sbp

Sbp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
Mell was there for a check and put no effort into fighting. Towards the end of the fight DJ asked Mell something and dude replied "My Bad" :francis: