Is it time to pay donors?

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...americans-every-day-is-it-time-to-pay-donors/

An organ shortage kills 30 Americans every day. Is it time to pay donors?

organ.png

Thirty years ago this week, President Reagan signed the National Organ Transplant Act (NOTA), which established the federal legal framework for the procurement, donation and transplantation of organs needed by desperately ill Americans. The law’s advocates hoped that it would end organ shortages, but today over 120,000 Americans are on waiting lists. With the need for organs – especially kidneys -- projected to outstrip supply even more in coming years, intense debate has broken out over whether NOTA should be amended to allow funding of incentives for donors.

The interests at stake are colossal. About 30 Americans a day either die on the waiting list or are removed from it because they have become too ill to receive a transplant. Taxpayers also bear a significant burden in the case of kidneys because of the special status of renal dialysis within the Medicare program. In 1972, Congress mandated that Medicare cover the costs of care for end stage renal disease regardless of patient age. In 2011, over 500,000 people took advantage of this benefit at a cost of over $34 billion, which is more than 6% of Medicare’s entire budget.

One commonly proposed solution to the organ shortage derives from behavioral economic “nudge” principles. Rather than requiring Americans to complete paperwork in order to opt-in to donation at death, the country could shift to the European model of presuming that donation at death was acceptable. But Tom Mone, chief executive of OneLegacy, the nation’s largest organ and tissue recovery organization, points out that “The recovery rate for deceased donors in the United States is actually better than that of European nations with presumed consent laws. The United States rigorously follows individual donor registrations whereas presumed consent countries actually defer to family objections.”

In any event, because less than 1% of deceased individuals are medically eligible to donate organs, and 75% of this group in the United States in fact does so, there simply isn’t enough “there there” to remedy the shortage with improved recovery from deceased donors.

This brings up the currently illegal option of providing incentives for living donors. NOTA’s main Capitol Hill champion, a then little-known Congressman Al Gore Jr., allowed for the possibility of rewarding donors if the purely altruism-driven donation system did not keep up with demand.

无名的

Superstar
Daps
I've never had an organ donation conversation with anyone, so someone who has decided not to donate, I'm curious why.

:ohhh:

kj614

You must quiet your mind.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My Family
The reason why I chose not to donate my organs is because I'm still using them
:russ:

Now I decided not to because of the very question in this thread. I think that organs Can be bought now. The same people who could afford an organ now can buy an organ today. Making it acceptable would just mean less people that could live through their injuries would be left to die because they had a commodity that a greedy system could harvest.