Is JAY Z the reason BASQUIAT is blowing up in the mainstream??

Daps
Reppin
NULL
No. Jean Michel Basquiat has been a factor long before Jay-Z started rapping about him. People who have always been into art have always acknowledged his work and admired his genius.

Jay-Z is just late to the party, that's all.

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
:ufdup: That right there is straight :trash: I wouldn't be surprised if Jigga man was receiving a cut from the Basquiat estate :patrice: Anyway this guy doesnt hold a candle to Warhol. Just a junkie from Brooklyn who ppl glorify for no reason. Not hating but there hundreds of more deserving artists than Mr. Basquiat :beli:

People say the same about Warhol
A lot of people say he is a fraud
Art is so subjective
Basquiat didn't need a jay-z cosign
He was Warhol right hand man U can't like Warhol n shyt on basquiat

Gifted one

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Jay just trying to make himself look more complex, but in reality it just comes off as vague, and just uses his name as a means for stunting, pretty much using his art as the new bling. Basquiat had some cool art and all but I always felt people were more enamored with his image more so than his art, Warhol, Keith Haring>Basquiat

keithj

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Central
How many of ya'll have ever been to a Basquiat exhibit? Like this one. Basquiat's paintings are straight piff, dude is absolutely an artistic genius. I'd like for you to point me to a contemporary artist that has the level of details and uses layers in his paintings the way Basquiat did.

It may look a certain way on your computer screen, but the actual pieces in front of your eyes is something completely different.

Don't throw salt on the gawd Basquiat because ya'll are just now in 2013 finding out about one of the greatest artists (who happened to be black) who ever lived from a Jay-Z album. :childplease:

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dudes running out of shyt to talk about so he try's to come off artistic when in reality he just sounds autistic.....it's the dualities of it all :smh:

No. Jean Michel Basquiat has been a factor long before Jay-Z started rapping about him. People who have always been into art have always acknowledged his work and admired his genius.

Jay-Z is just late to the party, that's all.

We all learn about things late but what annoys me is when these dudes "discover" something late in life that a lot of people knew for ages and then suddenly they're all hype and are experts on these things. reminds of these fukks that never owned a dress shirt till rappers start wearing them and now they all hype and telling people about brooks brothers and button ups.

anyhow if anyone is interested here's a movie/doc on Basquiat:

Last edited by a moderator:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We all learn about things late but what annoys me is when these dudes "discover" something late in life that a lot of people knew for ages and then suddenly they're all hype and are experts on these things. reminds of these fukks that never owned a dress shirt till rappers start wearing and now all hype and telling people about brooks brothers and button ups.

anyhow if anyone is interested here's a movie/doc on Basquiat:
Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child (2010) - YouTube

Oh I know, I understand exactly what you're saying. As for the Basquiat documentary, I already made a thread on it a while back :myman:

http://www.the-coli.com/booth/11817...ant-child-great-documentary.html#.UdhWYu2vGME

KG1

All Star
Daps
Reppin
BX BK
How many of ya'll have ever been to a Basquiat exhibit? Like this one. Basquiat's paintings are straight piff, dude is absolutely an artistic genius. I'd like for you to point me to a contemporary artist that has the level of details and uses layers in his paintings the way Basquiat did.

It may look a certain way on your computer screen, but the actual pieces in front of your eyes is something completely different.

Don't throw salt on the gawd Basquiat because ya'll are just now in 2013 finding out about one of the greatest artists (who happened to be black) who ever lived from a Jay-Z album. :childplease:

:rudy::rudy: Can you name 5 other contemporary artists without going to Google :childplease:

keithj

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Central
:rudy::rudy: Can you name 5 other contemporary artists without going to Google :childplease:

You serious breh? I actually follow this stuff, I think you're confusing me with these other coli cats.

How about:

David Ratcliff
Kaws
Kenny Scharf
Erik Parker
Mark Bradford (another black artist that you should check out).

I could name more, don't test. I frequent galleries all around this city.

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
I dunno...but he's definitely the reason why Baquiat has now become the art world equivalent of "YOLO" and "turn up!"...Jay completely whored him out and ran the basquiat references into the ground the last half a decade or so using it as just another one of his nouveau riche braggy buzzwords...basically just swapping out range rovers, platinum jewelry and cristal ( circa the mid-late 90's) for warhols and basquiat...was actually surprised he was on it so heavy on MCHG, figured he'd move on to something else to prove how fancy he is

IronFist

⛩️ 18 Arhat ⛩️
Supporter
Daps
^truth just wait until Jay-z Or Nas or Rick Loss some makes a reference to someone like Dali. Cats are going to be trying to do everything to get they hands on a painting

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dunno...but he's definitely the reason why Baquiat has now become the art world equivalent of "YOLO" and "turn up!"...Jay completely whored him out and ran the basquiat references into the ground the last half a decade or so using it as just another one of his nouveau riche braggy buzzwords...basically just swapping out range rovers, platinum jewelry and cristal ( circa the mid-late 90's) for warhols and basquiat...was actually surprised he was on it so heavy on MCHG, figured he'd move on to something else to prove how fancy he is

Great post, I agree with this. :salute: