Is Lady of Rage the Mother of modern female rapper in rap crew trend?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Used to think it was Lil Kim who started the trend, but seeing as how BIG openly said that he followed Snoop's template.......it has to be Lady of Rage, right?

Note that I said kicked off the trend. Others had females in crew before, originating with Sha Rock
iu

I mean after Rage in Dogg Pound, other rap crews deliberately copied and put a female emcee in the mix

Blunted_On_Reality.jpg

0012414153920_600.jpg

love.jpg

Vacant-Lot-Rare-Press-Photo-10-x-8.jpg

32264.jpg

The_Firm_-_The_Album.png

377abaf367fe47367ab6e08b6ec538e0.500x500x1.jpg

image_047a8376-cd2f-4092-964c-aa01ece76414_300x300.jpg

41SAQM7TD2L.jpg

3412890f191ce693af3545a89c7198fd.jpg

iu

Last edited:

JMD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The east coast/west coast beef started in the studio with that Virginia rapper doing that to those Cali guys

*just jokes

it is interesting tho that Snoop got the shine the 2 best MC’s were originally from VA and Philly:hubie:

RAX 010

Cold Blooded
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
EAST✈WEST
All I know is Nicki Minaj is the best modern female MC Goat

Who better than her?
Lyrics sex appeal lyrics sex appeal ...don't get me wrong now...Lil Kim is #2 and Queen Latifah is #3...
Even tho Queen Latifah has been promoted to Goat status because of how she put it down

DISCLAIMER: IM DRUNK IN THE AIRPORT GETTING FADED OFF LONG ISLANDS
:sas1:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Skipped right over Memphis I see...

Ignore Princess Loko(RIP) brehs
Ignore Gangsta Boo brehs
Ignore La Chat brehs
there are a lot of women in male crews, none of the ones you mentioned pioneered a blueprint.

fox and kim definitely mothered the modern blueprint of the sexy female MC backed by a male crew. before that, the women were mostly trying to be one of the boys - they hit you with the female perspective, but their bodies and sexuality weren't at the forefront or a pivotal part of their music and persona.

Mindfield333

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NC
there are a lot of women in male crews, none of the ones you mentioned pioneered a blueprint.

fox and kim definitely mothered the modern blueprint of the sexy female MC backed by a male crew. before that, the women were mostly trying to be one of the boys - they hit you with the female perspective, but their bodies and sexuality weren't at the forefront or a pivotal part of their music and persona.
I saw Major Figgas in the original post. That voids what you said. I don’t think she had an album out... but Gangsta Boo been on multiple albums within her Three Six collective and outside of it like Outkast. Cardi B redid Chicken Head which was LaChats/Project Pats hit single. They we’re definitely influential within the southeast and Midwest. Especially for these newer generations of artists. But I don’t disagree with the Lil Kim/Foxy Brown/Lauryn Hill assessment. Even though those are the safe answers for women like men saying Pac/BIG/Nas/JayZ

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
You answered your question in the OP.

You can't disregard what Sha Rock did.

She was the most popular member of her crew and the only acknowledged female member of a rap group before Lil Kim.

She influenced everybody from Run-DMC, to the Beastie Boys, to MC Lyte, to pick up a pen and start writing rhymes as well as how they wanted their vocals recorded.

Roxanne Shante (Juice Crew), Monie Love (Native Tongues), and Queen Latifah (Native Tongues/Flavor Unit) were a part of loosely based crews, but they wasn't in a group, and a lot of all three crew's history is more based in folklore instead of actual material recorded together.

Last edited: