Is Microsoft about to launch an upgraded Xbox One?

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Is Microsoft about to launch an upgraded Xbox One?

Rumors of an updated PlayStation 4 have been making the rounds over the past few weeks. Giant Bomb reports that the "PS4.5" is codenamed Neo, and that the refreshed model will include a faster CPU, improved GPU, and higher bandwidth memory. While Sony's console plans are the source of much debate, Microsoft's Xbox chief Phil Spencer dropped hints recently that the company isn't interested in creating an "Xbox One and a half."

"I'm not a big fan of Xbox One and a half. If we're going to move forward, I want to move forward in big numbers," Spencer said, during a roundtable discussion withGameinformer. "If we're going to go forward with anything, like I said, I want it to be a really substantial change for people —€” an upgrade." Any substantial change could involve VR support or even Microsoft's new HoloLens headset, and hardware improvements would be required. Most reports suggested Spencer's comments shot down any potential for an upgraded Xbox One, but that might not be the case.

NeoGAF member ekim discovered several filings with the Federal Communications Commission recently that show Microsoft is testing a new Xbox One wireless chip with a new model number. The FCC approves devices like the Xbox One, and it has often revealed new phones ahead of their launch. While there are no photos of the new Xbox One model, external photos and other key details are being kept under a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) between Microsoft and the FCC. That agreement (to keep details secret) expires on June 25th, 12 days after Microsoft's Xbox press conference at E3 this year. Anatel, the Brazilian equivalent of the FCC isn't as strict at adhering to NDAs, and has published a photograph of the new Xbox One wireless chipset.

Sources familiar with Microsoft's Xbox plans have revealedto The Verge that the company has been testing a variety of prototype Xbox devices. Some of the prototypes have been tested with upgraded components you'd use to improve the performance of a PC gaming rig. It's not clear if and when Microsoft intends to launch an upgraded Xbox One, but Phil Spencer has already hinted the company will "come out with new hardware capability during a generation" that supports existing and future titles. A new wireless chip could be just a small part of the optional hardware upgrades to the Xbox One that Microsoft is planning.

Prodigital

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who needs better games when theres windows 10 apps :mjlol:

To all you developers out there, who don't wanna be on a console where the platforms... lacking exclusive content, running 720 p at 30 fps, with power of the cloud...then come to Sony Entertainment

:blessed:

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
I'm a little shocked about all of this guys. I thought the cloud would have been enough to provide enough power for many years to come.

Don't forget the tiny emmc was supposed to close the gap and provide enough power for many years to come.

Tiles resources was supposed to close the gap and provide enough power for many years to come.

DX12 was supposed to close the gap and provide enough power for many years to come.

Win10 upgrade was supposed to close the gap and provide enough power for many years to come.

Unlocked core was supposed to close the gap and provide enough power for many years to come.

Tiny CPU speed bump was supposed to close the gap and provide enough power for many years to come.

0-7 so far. :ehh:

GreenGrass

All Star
Daps
these console wars are getting out of control. i'm going back to pc gaming brehs...

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
Essentially, yes. Microsoft will either launch an upgraded X1, or a next gen console before the end of next year. They simply don't have a choice at this point if they want to keep the XBOX division afloat. My money is on a next gen console. They have the capital to pull it off w/o really giving much of a fukk.