Is the Census form really mandatory and what happens if you DON'T respond back?

Daps
Reppin
Bucktown, U.S.A. (Harlem, NY) + 'Cuse, NY
This will be my first time filling one out on my own as an adult since last time my parents handled that being that I was a minor...

I've read online how you could be fined ($500-$5K) or face jail time (which hasn't happened since the 70s).

I got my form today and the envelope said "required by law" in BOLD letters but I'm calling their bluff..

:jbhmm:

fckyoupayme

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Yo Momma's Front Porch
You don’t have to complete the census. You can choose to never send it in. Many people will do exactly that.

If used correctly, the census is used to determine what kind of resources an area can receive. That’s the main reason I have been hearing about why you should fill it out.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if it was used for bad means as well. Trump tried to get a citizenship question on the this census which would have helped his administration track undocumented people.

Daps
You don’t have to complete the census. You can choose to never send it in. Many people will do exactly that.

If used correctly, the census is used to determine what kind of resources an area can receive. That’s the main rason I have been hearing about why you should fill it out.
I also wouldn’t be surprised if it was used for bad means as well. Trump tried to get a citizenship question on the this census which would have helped his administration track undocumented people.
Not our problem.:yeshrug:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Census gets better/more funding for black communities.

Black people disproportionately wait to the last minute or don't do it and so our communities don't get as much money as we deserve from the government.

Right-leaning politicians know this and are trying to cut the Census short with the hopes that even less minorities will get funding because they believe in smaller government and bootstraps and the white people version of HYON.

Judges stepped in this weekend and (temporarily) stopped Trump from that bullsh!t:

Federal Judge Blocks, For Now, Further Winding Down of the 2020 Census

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
I filled it out but I didn’t put my name on it
You can get that info anywhere so look for it if you want it

Patriarch

#straightblackpride
Daps
The census counts all people in a dwelling. The crazy part is, doesn't matter if you're here legally or not. A large percentage of undocumented aliens are Hispanic. This is why nobody pays attention to the inflated Hispanic population numbers.. Hispanics are the 2nd largest group in the U.S. if you are counting illegals.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Its in the Constitution.

They don't release your informatuon to any other agency for like 75 years or something.

At that point its used mainly the way we use the census now to identify our ancestors.

east

Screwed up... till tha casket drops!!
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx ➡️ New England
it wouldn't be the first time. census data was misused in the 1940s when the census bureau provided the names and addresses of japanese-americans to the secret service, which they denied for decades: Confirmed: The U.S. Census Bureau Gave Up Names of Japanese-Americans in WW II they did the same thing in 2002 by providing homeland security with neighborhood data on arab-americans: Homeland Security Given Data on Arab-Americans