It turns out butter biscuit eating James Clyburn sold out Black folks in his state to win his election.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps
James Clyburn’s betrayal leaves all of us more cynical | Opinion

To summarize it:

In 2018, South Carolina's 7 US reps were 5 republicans and 2 democrats.

In 2020, a Republican barely won the 1st district by just 5,000 votes, giving them 6 republicans and 1 democrat. Clyburn, the only democrat to win, dominated his seat comfortably.

Because his district was losing voters over time, Clyburn became worried that he could one day face a tough race in the district. So he secretly met with Republicans and agreed to a plan that transferred 30,000 additional black voters from the 1st district to his district. The plan also gerrymandered voters in the other districts to ensure none of the races would be close and Democrats would only win 1 seat, Clyburn's.

In 2022, with the black voters taken out of the 1st, the Republican there now won more comfortably by 38,000 votes. Meanwhile, Clyburn won comfortably by over 50,000 votes.

The districts were challenged in court and found to have been the result of racist gerrymandering, with a court order to redraw them. However, in their defense, the ones who drew the district are using Clyburn's request to deflect the charges of racism and preserve a gerrymandered district map.

@Rhakim

Sir Richard Spirit

Superstar
Daps
There’s a pretty big thread on this already. People are pretty much saying if he didn’t do this, the republicans would have took away all the black representation.

Reading the article tho… It seems like he lost 80,000+ residents in his district. To fix that he carved up the map to give himself 70,000+ residents and leave everything else for the republicans.

If the people are leaving your district maybe you’re the problem? Maybe you shouldn’t force people back into your district.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Who was the white woman?

Annie Andrews was the democratic candidate in the district that lost voters from Clyburn's move. I was mostly joking at TLR's expense though, because the lost voters are going to impact it for the entire decade and possibly beyond, not just in this one election. But there's a minority contingent on this forum who doesn't even want the democrats to win and just reduces candidates to their race/gender anyway, so I thought it would be funny to see them want to be upset at a democrat but not actually have a real reason for it.

Sir Richard Spirit

Superstar
Daps
Annie Andrews was the democratic candidate in the district that lost voters from Clyburn's move. I was mostly joking at TLR's expense though, because the lost voters are going to impact it for the entire decade and possibly beyond, not just in this one election. But there's a minority contingent on this forum who doesn't even want the democrats to win and just reduces candidates to their race/gender anyway, so I thought it would be funny to see them want to be upset at a democrat but not actually have a real reason for it.

I’m glad to see you were joking.