It's easier to advance as a young black man when you rid yourself of the consumer mindset

Skrilla

MVP
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I know, we are all consumers to a certain extent. But a lot of us buy, buy and buy and don't sell anything to anyone, at least not enough. Everybody buys things, but you can make extra money buying stuff for the low and then flipping it for a higher price.

When it really hit me that there's ALWAYS going to be somebody willing to buy stuff....especially electronics, shoes, clothes, jewelry etc i realized that yeah i can do that too. That's one good thing about it, as long as you're offering products that someone's always going to want (items have to be in good condition, and current etc), you can always make money. Especially when you have internet access. Good thing about that it's harder for people who are buying your stuff to racially discriminate against you because they really don't even have to see your face (depending on what site you're using). If you can get on facebook and twitter and chit chat, you obviously have internet access, so no excuse to not be using it to make some extra money on the side.

About the consumer mindset, I'm saying this from experience. I'm not looking down on those who have it because I used to be like that too. Nobody ever sat me down when i was younger and talked to me about investing, stocks, using your money to make more money, etc and i kind of just did what i saw other cats doing. Stunting. Luckily i learned from it early enough.

We were talking about this in the J's thread and i kind of hit me how much my mindset has changed in the past few years. I have a lot more money saved now too. I used to be one of those dudes who would get all giddy when the new J's dropped so i can collect them and parade around in them. Now i'm the dude who looks at the stock data to see how much i'm making off the new releases, and how i can buy shyt for cheap and sell it for a profit.

BrandonBanks

Arab Money
Daps
I remember my uncle had given me a really nice Rolie that he didn't want anymore and i sold that bytch and then used the 4Gs to buy a bunch of other shyt for cheap, flipped it all and made even more :banderas:bought myself a little something out of that of course but i'm a lowkey nikka so i was walking around looking normal/inconsipicuous, Polo and some jeans, but with G's in the bank though

I think more like that now

TL15

Veteran
Daps
financial literacy needs to be shown and modeled as early as possible

growing up my mom encouraged me to save change, counted money with me, taught me as much as she could about saving etc.

when I have children I plan on taking it a step further and teaching them about investing, having your money work for you, financial leverage, etc.

Skrilla

MVP
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I
I remember my uncle had given me a really nice Rolie that he didn't want anymore and i sold that bytch and then used the 4Gs to buy a bunch of other shyt for cheap, flipped it all and made even more :banderas:bought myself a little something out of that of course but i'm a lowkey nikka so i was walking around looking normal/inconsipicuous, Polo and some jeans, but with G's in the bank though

I think more like that now

The crazy part is, I know more women who think this way than men nowadays :francis: i'm serious...i can think of more women i know who flip/sell (legally) than men. I even see old women out here flipping/selling for extra income on the side. Clothes, shoes, food, jewelry, etc and some of them don't even have a computer. What's a man's excuse? It's one reason why i hate when nikkas make excuses for other nikkas who are out here selling drugs and shyt....if you're literate in 2016, and you know how to do shyt like log onto Facebook and IG and post your little pics and emojis, then there are LEGAL ways for you to generate extra income outside of your job. You can read and know how to use a computer.

That's why i commended Nipsey Hustle for what he's doing, we need more of that shyt.

Last edited:

Yesterday

Banned
Daps
This is real fukking talk right here. Consumerism truly disgusts me, it's especially pathetic when men engage in it.

I think it really stems from a place of insecurity. When you're not comfortable in your own skin you try to complement it with recognizable brands.

You're not a special snowflake because you spent more disposable income on the works of another man. You're the shyt when you can spend less and still have high social market value.

Skrilla

MVP
Daps
Reppin
Cali
This is a good thread though. I agree 100%

One day i was thought out of the blue.."i'm gonna try to reach this goal in my savings...and as i make progress, then i will buy myself something nice (but reasonably priced) as a reward to myself for my hard work"....instead of buying something expensive all the time just to impress other ppl...i started to only cop something for myself when i hit a certain mark...like i'd use some of my money i made from my job to buy products, then i'd sell them, and i kept doing this, and when i reached my first savings goal i ordered myself something fly as a present to myself for grinding so hard....i kept going like that and it's crazy how far i've came financially....because i started out with not even $1000 saved up....now i'm over 10,000 and trying to push to 15,000 right now..and i'm only 25....i'm trying to keep this up

BrandonBanks

Arab Money
Daps
I

The crazy part is, I know more women who think this way than men nowadays :francis: i'm serious...i can think of more women i know who flip/sell (legally) than men. I even see old women out here flipping/selling for extra income on the side. Clothes, shoes, food, jewelry, etc and some of them don't even have a computer. What's a man's excuse? It's one reason why i hate when nikkas make excuses for other nikkas who are out here selling drugs and shyt....if you're literate in 2016, and you know how to do shyt like log onto Facebook and IG and post your little pics and emojis, then there are LEGAL ways for you to generate extra income outside of your job. You can read and know how to use a computer.

That's why i commended Nipsey Hustle for what he's doing, we need more of that shyt.

Exactly

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
financial literacy needs to be shown and modeled as early as possible

growing up my mom encouraged me to save change, counted money with me, taught me as much as she could about saving etc.

when I have children I plan on taking it a step further and teaching them about investing, having your money work for you, financial leverage, etc.

Yep. My pops always told me to be low key and live BELOW your means to have disposable income. A lot of it. Better to rock a sharp Nike hoodie with casual shoes and a closet full of suits, than be some Young Thug reject with no money saved up.