Its safe to say the Tiffany Haddish experiment has failed

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I guess I don't understand why you're assuming Tiffany's mediocrity is a lack of effort. She's tried a dramatic role this year. She tried. Maybe she got an acting coaching for that role, maybe she didn't. You're making a lot of assumptions here just because you don't like her and the movie itself was a flop. To put it all on her is disengenous and unfair.

Here are some reviews for her acting in "The Kitchen"

USA Today: "Haddish is crazy talented and will one day have a major dramatic breakthrough but this isn’t it, though her icy face-offs with Martindale are enjoyable."

AV Club: "As for Haddish, she keeps her head above water in her first major dramatic role, though she’s much more convincing as a cocky criminal kingpin than as the browbeaten wife and daughter-in-law she plays at the beginning of the story."

It doesn't say she's hamming it up or doing a schitck. It sounds like she gave it her best shot and it didn't work out. It also sounds like this is a writer/director issue. At any rate, this kind of scrutiny isn't distributed fairly and that's my problem with it. But if you really feel she's doing the black cinema and by extension black people a disservice, then I guess nothing I say will sway you. I just refuse to put that kind of burden on someone.
All I said was she’s not funny and keeps doing the same role. I followed that up saying she should branch out. If that’s what she’s done and she’s good, I’ll say “damn Tiffany showed up in this shyt. Great acting. I hope she does more of this”

But until that happens, I’m not gonna clap clap for things cause you black. I’m not lowering the bar cause white people do it. fukk them people.

that’s all I been trying to say

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
All I said was she’s not funny and keeps doing the same role. I followed that up saying she should branch out. If that’s what she’s done and she’s good, I’ll say “damn Tiffany showed up in this shyt. Great acting. I hope she does more of this”

But until that happens, I’m not gonna clap clap for things cause you black. I’m not lowering the bar cause white people do it. fukk them people.

I feel that. OK.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps

I get what your saying, but I didn't take @NobodyReally statement as praising mediocrity. It's just saying that there should be a lane for the not exceptional black folks to still be able to succeed. If you black and you ain't a pro bowl caliber QB, that don't mean you don't deserve a shot at the league as a career backup. That's not giving or accepting participation trophies, it's simply acknowledging black folks right to exist in the same spaces as white people, even when they're not exceptional:manny: The exceptional will always get praise, that's easy, but when our mediocre are able to get the same opportunities as some wack ass white folks with average talent then we know the playing field is getting a little more level.

Sammy Steez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MKE
We need as much black mediocrity as there is black excellence. And that’s the honest truth.

There’s a lot of white mediocrity around and they have an audience. Tiffany’s schtick is tired but it works enough to get her in these roles. Even if she goes away, there’ll always be other options, better or for worse. Who would you rather have Tiffany or Nicole Byer on your screen? :hhh:

Name em so I can throw dirt on em:mjgrin:

This doesn't get talked about nearly enough. Great point. It's okay to have our Seth Rogan types too.