I've Started To Write More Recently...........

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
and I want to know what are some tips my coli writers would want to share on becoming a better writers?

I wrote a six page document on myself. However, I'm thinking of writing more short and long stories on life in general. I'm pretty good with spelling, but I want my punctuation better.

Especially, for the songs that I'm writing. I wrote eight songs thus far for my first mixtape like.

Daps
Read a lot and take note of style, soaking in what you like and excluding what turns you off. Adopting the style of accomplished writers isn't so much a cheat as it's a means to inspire your own formation of the ideas you wish to express. Like any other art, it's a creative discipline that takes considerable practice and constant self-editing.

SirReginald

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Read a lot and take note of style, soaking in what you like and excluding what turns you off. Adopting the style of accomplished writers isn't so much a cheat as it's a means to inspire your own formation of the ideas you wish to express. Like any other art, it's a creative discipline that takes considerable practice and constant self-editing.
Alright. I was listening to a David Bowie interview this morning (huge supporter of his work) and he inspired me a long with others.

It actually helps with my Bipolar/Depression.

EARFQUAKE

šŸ„°
Supporter
Daps
Depends on what you like. If it's non-fiction get into some online freelance to polish up that side of your writing.

If fiction, challenge yourself with themes you're unfamiliar with so that you can learn more while researching different subjects. It'll also build your creativity.

SirReginald

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Depends on what you like. If it's non-fiction get into some online freelance to polish up that side of your writing.

If fiction, challenge yourself with themes you're unfamiliar with so that you can learn more while researching different subjects. It'll also build your creativity.
I like non-fiction better and loved history in school. Just connected the dots of why. It's because I love learning about the history of people's cultures. However, sad fiction stories are also cool.

TL15

Veteran
Daps
and I want to know what are some tips my coli writers would want to share on becoming a better writers?

I wrote a six page document on myself. However, I'm thinking of writing more short and long stories on life in general. I'm pretty good with spelling, but I want my punctuation better.

Especially, for the songs that I'm writing. I wrote eight songs thus far for my first mixtape like.

:francis:

To begin, I will ignore the failed use of the ellipsis between the title and your first sentence. Your first sentence should not end in a question mark. There is no question in "I've started to write more recently and I want to know what are some tips my coli writers would want to share on becoming better writers". That is at best a few thoughts merged into one, and at worst a terrible run-on sentence. It is a question in neither case.

Next, "I want my punctuation better" is off. The word "punctuation" is a noun and "better" how you are trying to use it is a verb. You need to change it to an adverb by adding a different verb/verb statement. You wouldn't say "I want my computer better" you would say "I want my computer to process better". Similarly with this statement, "I want my punctuation better" you would say "I want my punctuation to be written better" which is awkward in itself, so you would change it to "I want to find ways to punctuate my sentences better".

Further, "Especially, for the songs that I'm writing" is not a complete sentence. It is the predicate for the thought before it. It should read "I'm pretty good with spelling but I want to find ways to punctuate my sentences better; especially for the songs that I'm writing"

Lastly, by ending your last sentence with "like" it immediately becomes a fragment. End that sentence after "mixtape"

Those are tangible tips on how to become a better writer with the sample you've provided. :manny:

Here are some generic tips:

Don't throw in words just to throw them in. Don't use "thus" just to say "thus". It sounds silly. Keep it simple.

Learn to form complete thoughts. This doesn't mean that you aren't already, but be more concise. Make each sentence a singular thought before trying to have elaborate sentences, especially if you aren't confident in your punctuation.

Start with retelling. Retelling is powerful because the "story" is already written. An easy way to learn how to write eloquently is to just retell things that have already happened. Write about your day, write about your last hour, write about your favorite movie, etc. If you can learn to retell incidents more eloquently and clearly, it will become more natural when creating your own fiction or stories.

SirReginald

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
:francis:

To begin, I will ignore the failed use of the ellipsis between the title and your first sentence. Your first sentence should not end in a question mark. There is no question in "I've started to write more recently and I want to know what are some tips my coli writers would want to share on becoming better writers". That is at best a few thoughts merged into one, and at worst a terrible run-on sentence. It is a question in neither case.

Next, "I want my punctuation better" is off. The word "punctuation" is a noun and "better" how you are trying to use it is a verb. You need to change it to an adverb by adding a different verb/verb statement. You wouldn't say "I want my computer better" you would say "I want my computer to process better". Similarly with this statement, "I want my punctuation better" you would say "I want my punctuation to be written better" which is awkward in itself, so you would change it to "I want to find ways to punctuate my sentences better".

Further, "Especially, for the songs that I'm writing" is not a complete sentence. It is the predicate for the thought before it. It should read "I'm pretty good with spelling but I want to find ways to punctuate my sentences better; especially for the songs that I'm writing"

Lastly, by ending your last sentence with "like" it immediately becomes a fragment. End that sentence after "mixtape"

Those are tangible tips on how to become a better writer with the sample you've provided. :manny:

Here are some generic tips:

Don't throw in words just to throw them in. Don't use "thus" just to say "thus". It sounds silly. Keep it simple.

Learn to form complete thoughts. This doesn't mean that you aren't already, but be more concise. Make each sentence a singular thought before trying to have elaborate sentences, especially if you aren't confident in your punctuation.

Start with retelling. Retelling is powerful because the "story" is already written. An easy way to learn how to write eloquently is to just retell things that have already happened. Write about your day, write about your last hour, write about your favorite movie, etc. If you can learn to retell incidents more eloquently and clearly, it will become more natural when creating your own fiction or stories.
I want to thank you for this. Now, this can help me become a better writer.