Jay-z-4:44[Official Music Video]

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trying way too hard to be artsy ...this was a long convoluted mess of a video but stans will eat this up
It's not a convoluted mess and this is coming from someone who is NOT a jigga stan, i have never ever referred to him as hov cos i'm not calling another male god, and i don't like 4:44 too much. this video is actually pretty succint in getting its ideas across.

in laments, all of the imagery that's being used is to show various forms of black dysfunction and how it is being consumed by the public as entertainment...the lowest level being the collage of viral social media clips and the highest (in jay-z's mind) his relationship with his wife. from dusty street corner to a stadium arena, black dysfunction, whether it be couples fighting, friends fighting, family gatherings, just walking around, dancing or being on a fuccin train it's all 'great entertainment'. and we play into it by one, encouraging this behaviour by giving fame to these people and secondly us always, always choosing to be the 'entertainers' for others no matter what the situation is. He's not even dissing the people in the clips but actually dissing the viewer for finding entertainment in the dysfunction of black love, relationships, family and community.

the mish mash of viral clips to interview clips (basquiat) to performance clips (the soul singers and jigga himself) is just a way to illustrate that in all facets of contemporary culture black pain and dysfunction (in the relationships that we have with each other) is always regarded as suitable for others entertainment and we're encouraged to keep it dysfunctional because its profitable and a way to become rich and famous...and its been like that since we were soul singers to fine artists to viral superstars....from black and white tv's to vine clips...its still the same sh1te...and even in the future it'll still be the same sh1t (the black robot)

and the use of a whole bunch of different visual language from amateur to professional is an attempt to further hit it home to the audience how absolute and widespread this dynamic is between black people and modern culture

however, one thing i will say he didn't do well is present whether he thinks this is a bad or good thing...he put up the mirror to the audience but didn't state whether he thinks it'd be better to break this cycle or just continue, but at least be privy to what we're doing and then fully capitalise off of it.

at least that's what I believe it's about flexing all my art degree muscles :russ:

Last edited:

Wallychamp

Kings Lose Crowns, Teachers Stay Intelligent
Daps
It's not a convoluted mess and this is coming from someone who is NOT a jigga stan, i have never ever referred to him as hov cos i'm not calling another male god, and i don't like 4:44 too much. this video is actually pretty succint in getting its ideas across.

in laments, all of the imagery that's being used is to show various forms of black dysfunction and how it is being consumed by the public as entertainment...the lowest level being the collage of viral social media clips and the highest (in jay-z's mind) his relationship with his wife. from dusty street corner to a stadium arena, black dysfunction, whether it be couples fighting, friends fighting, family gatherings, just walking around or being on a fuccin train is all 'great entertainment'. and we play into it by one, encouraging this behaviour by giving fame to these people and secondly always, always the 'entertainers' for others no matter what the situation is. He's not even dissing the people in the clips but actually dissing the viewer for finding entertainment in the dysfunction of black love, relationships, family and community.

the mish mash of viral clips to interview clips (basquiat) to performance clips (the soul singers and jigga himself) is just a way to illustrate that in all facets of contemporary culture black pain and dysfunction (in the relationships that we have with each other) is always regarded as suitable for others entertainment and we're encouraged to keep it dysfunctional because its profitable and a way to become rich and famous...and its been like that since we were soul singers to fine artists to viral superstars....from black and white tv's to vine clips...its still the same sh1te

however, one thing i will say he didn't do well is present whether he thinks this is a bad or good thing...he put up the mirror to the audience but didn't state whether he thinks it'd be better to break this cycle or just continue, but at least be privy to what we're doing and then fully capitalise off of it.

at least that's what I believe it's about flexing all my art degree muscles :russ:

:salute:

BlackDiBiase

Superstar
Daps
when that blind kid started crying that touched me deep :to:, but jay is a shallow cornball do whatever do get wherever.

now his back on youtube dikk, tidal aint as popping for his ego as he thought :russ: dude does so much image manufactoring its borderline feminine.

Bruce Wayne

THE GODDAMN BILLIONAIRE
Daps
Reppin
Gotham City
Yeah man :yeshrug: IDK

You could have just made this a Video with an Actor and an Actress playing roles of a couple in relationship troubles but this is just :manny: Strange for a Hov Video.

I actually like this song a lot too.

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps

in laments, all of the imagery that's being used is to show various forms of black dysfunction and how it is being consumed by the public as entertainment...the lowest level being the collage of viral social media clips and the highest (in jay-z's mind) his relationship with his wife. from dusty street corner to a stadium arena, black dysfunction, whether it be couples fighting, friends fighting, family gatherings, just walking around or being on a fuccin train is all 'great entertainment'. and we play into it by one, encouraging this behaviour by giving fame to these people and secondly always, always the 'entertainers' for others no matter what the situation is. He's not even dissing the people in the clips but actually dissing the viewer for finding entertainment in the dysfunction of black love, relationships, family and community.

the mish mash of viral clips to interview clips (basquiat) to performance clips (the soul singers and jigga himself) is just a way to illustrate that in all facets of contemporary culture black pain and dysfunction (in the relationships that we have with each other) is always regarded as suitable for others entertainment and we're encouraged to keep it dysfunctional because its profitable and a way to become rich and famous...and its been like that since we were soul singers to fine artists to viral superstars....from black and white tv's to vine clips...its still the same sh1te

and the use of a whole bunch of different visual language from amateur to professional is an attempt to further hit it home to the audience how absolute and widespread this dynamic is between black people and modern culture

:mjlol:

Argue against something being convoluted then type up like 8 paragraphs just to conclude you actually have no idea what the actual stance being made is, brehs

Therht

Pro
Daps

solid :salute:

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjlol:

Argue against something being convoluted then type up like 8 paragraphs just to conclude you actually have no idea what the actual stance being made is, brehs

your post would make sense if his agenda was to definitely have an end point in his own discussion....maybe he's just pointing stuff out, playing devils advocate....you ever think that? :ld:

and the bolded is more about MY preferences, I like people to not sit on the fence....that doesn't mean what they're saying is convoluted, I still understand exactly what he's saying.

And that also doesn't mean the video is perfect, i'm just saying it's not convoluted

try to son someone and end up looking like a dullard brehs :mjlol:

Last edited:

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
your post would make sense if his agenda was to definitely have an end point in his own discussion....maybe he's just pointing stuff out, playing devils advocate....you ever think that? :ld:

and the bolded is more about MY preferences, I like people to not sit on the fence....that doesn't mean what they're saying is convoluted, I still understand exactly what he's saying

And that also doesn't mean the video is perfect, i'm just saying it's not convoluted

try to son someone and end up looking like a dullard brehs :mjlol:
Not trying to son you, just thought that post was so ironic it legit made me laugh

Far as your interpretation goes, its well enough thought out...has a bunch of open ended unanswered questions though and a bunch of scenes don't fit into your concept at all though (random joyous dancing for instance isn't a depiction of black dysfunction, quite the contrary I'd argue) ....and ultimately we don't actually know for sure what exactly meant by the video until the director or jay explains...which for a music video would fit the very definition of convoluted....and I don't even think that's a bad thing, it's more interesting than a clear cut straight to the point clip