Just how important is the Left Tackle position really?

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
They literally just won a championship with a scrub at LT :dead:
Because it's Patrick Mahomes and those scrub OT's played their best football during the post season.

Literally a 0.5% penalty rate for the two most penalized OT's during the season and not a single penalty during the Super Bowl (Trent Williams had 2 penalties).

Normally your OL is only as good as the weakest links, but when those weakest links play great at the right time it usually means good things.

Last edited:

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Except great rushers move around now. Von Miller lines up everywhere and generates pressure. That great LT only lines up at LT.
Edge rushers move around that’s why I believe both tackles are important. A lot of times you see Watt on the strong side. Some Edges feel more comfortable rushing on certain sides. I remember Watt mentioning how much he liked the strong side because he bends better at that angle and the other side is uncomfortable so :yeshrug:

But I still think the LT is most important because if he gets beat and the QB doesn’t see it, but expect a turnover. It’s a much different animal than a rush in their face that they see coming.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
Edge rushers move around that’s why I believe both tackles are important. A lot of times you see Watt on the strong side. Some Edges feel more comfortable rushing on certain sides. I remember Watt mentioning how much he liked the strong side because he bends better at that angle and the other side is uncomfortable so :yeshrug:

But I still think the LT is most important because if he gets beat and the QB doesn’t see it, but expect a turnover. It’s a much different animal than a rush in their face that they see coming.
Yup, additionally, because some QB's divide the field and either start the progressions/post-snap on the left or right side, that plays a big part in the pressure they don't see. If your RT is wack and the progression starts on the left side of the field, that's the more critical side on the OL and where the turnover can happen that the QB doesn't see.

That's also in addition to things like which hand the QB throws with.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You can’t be serious?

Did you watch what happened to Pat when his starting tackles got hurt against the bucs? Have a decent tackle makes a difference.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Also lost Schwartz, arguably the best RT in the league at the time, definitely better at his position than Fisher at his. Not to mention they had two wks to replace Fisher as he was out at the end of the AFCCG. There was one offseason OL starter in that SB, all due to injuries. The Pat/Kelce/Hill trio was starting to instill bad habits in Pat, and they hadn’t solved defenses playing deep every play yet, but the backup line had the biggest impact on that game, and Imma die on this hill :heh:

Preach

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
The 49ers offensive line is Ass in pass pro with Trent Williams

Trent Williams can't block everybody. Whoever HE gets his hands on may as well shut it down because they aren't going to factor into the play the vast majority of the time.

That said, of starting QBs who played in at least 16 games this year, Purdy was the third-least sacked QB in the league. Trent's got something to do with that. As does Purdy, but it's a relief when you know that whoever lines up across Trent is a virtual non-factor.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
The game has evolved. Its multiple rushers now and exotic blitz packages. LT is usually the biggest and most athletic. But its few of them now. The interior of the line is just as important. As is RT
Yea, that big rush up the middle is devastating.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
I’d rather have 3 above average OL than one stud at LT and scrubs everywhere else

I think most people would... but I'd be willing to bet that if people got the choice, at least one of those 3 above average guys would have to be the LT. It would probably go LT, C, RT.