"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
VA. Living in the City of Angels
:myman:

Exactly.

I ran into alot of fear mongering and discouraging attitudes and , people trying to play gate keeper when I started out, but I ignored all of that and carved my own path and stayed focused.

To all my niccas at a crossroads in life and pondering if they should get into tech, trust me my G's; You'll be alright. Dive in. Dont listent to these jaded ass bums tell you what's possible or what you cant do.

I had no mentors or any of that shyt starting out; Didnt even know what an A+ cert was. All I had was The IT Certifications and Careers thread and my boundless ambition.

I remember when I attended this bullshyt ass IT Bootcamp school tha helps with getiing certs for beginners,
Doing class introduction, I witness multiple cacs say they want a decent helpdesk job paying 30/hr and when I said the same, they looked at me like :upsetfavre::francis:. Like I was tripping.

Now I'm making 40 dollars an hour 1year and 8 months into my career , getting basically waterboarded with knowledge of in-demand technologies while most of those same bum ass cacs are still bouncing between manual labor jobs and military leave struggling to pass the A+ with the closest thing they have to a job in tech is unboxing DELL laptops and imaging them before delivering them to some school or office building..

Nobody believes in you, GOOD...fukk'em

fukk what they think isnt possible or realistic

fukk their sob stories and bitterness, It dont mean shyt. 100% of these people feeding y'all negative demoralizing info are just flapping their muthafuccin gums aimlessly , hoping they can pursuade as many people as possible to not get into tech because of some fear of job scarcity or they're insecure about the idea of some black folks and women getting into tech and crushing it; running laps around their bum ass

The niccas who eating in tech aint hanging out on Reddit 16 hrs a day bytching about their career and the so called "pitfalls" of working tech.

However, what they ARE doing is effortlessly paying off their debt, increasing their credit score, investing, taking REAL vacations to places like the Maldives, and proudly flaunting their get-money gut (Not me lol) from all the bomb ass high-end restaurants they can afford all because they stay on the grind and know how to play the game.

Best advice. Find out what areas in tech you want to work in , the hottest markets, online learning resources and attack your goals relentlessly.

fukk external motivation...motivate yourself
fukk these hoe ass nikkas opinions....find out for yourself

Trust me my g's you'll be ok

nikka, if this ain't the tagline for the Coli success story screenplay :damn: :wow: :whoo::ohlawd::ohlawd::ohlawd:

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
I am not a coder and I am eating good. Like homie mentioned, you have to be relentless and you have to sacrifice time. I love networking and security so I am a natural fit for Cyber Security. I am good at troubleshooting so I am getting the bag AND I never stay comfortable. I always know what I want next. The next sixth month, I will be studying heavy again so I can get another high role. You have to grind, for me to get an opportunity, I had to overload myself with certs.

I am stress free, roof over my head, good health, could help my parents out. Also I don't stay comfortable. I am steady adding new certs even if its out of my own pocket. As a matter of fact, I built my qualifications sctrictly around Amazon's requirements. I will learn to code soon tho.

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps
I'm talking about getting into programming. You have to be dedicated and passionate especially if you're going to learn it through self-study. The shyt is difficult if you can't think a particular way and hard to grasp for many. So it's easy to just put it down and do something else. So in order to get stumped and still keep going, you need to be passionate about what you're learning. Eventually it will all click....but it's easy to get discouraged and leave it alone. At first you will spend a lot of time on it.

The people you're talking about have already learned how to code. Once you learn you will have the time to do all the things you want to do. If you're coding at work for 10 hrs, there's no need to go home and do more. That's more than enough training. The response was for people who are green and trying to get into it. You have to keep at it.

yeah, I should have mentioned I was mostly talking about people that know how to code. But, even with people getting into it through self-study and even college idk if they had to be passionate to start. Passion for me came after I understood the basics and was able to work on things I found interesting. When I started I think it was more about scheduling and forcing myself to learn everything necessary to be a programmer. Personally, I wasn’t really passionate about cs 101 or my data structure and also courses to start with. I think when people get over that initial hump that’s when they get really into coding and that passion starts to develop.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Supporter
Daps
I'm going to try not to rant but "Passion" is a tirgger word for me. It sets me the fukk off and to be super real with you, is probably the single driving force behind me going so hard Initially.

When I was unemployed, feeling like the walls were closing in on me I attended this job fair at this IT boot camp school I was attending, I got a couple of :mjpls: vibes from a few of the vendors I slid my resume to which I was totally prepared for, But then I got to the table with this Asian guy.

When I handed him my struggle resume with all these manual labor jobs with just an A+ cert to my name, he had the:upsetfavre: face and instead of just saying "thank you for your time" or "we'll be in touch", He proceeds to go on this elitist fake -ass wanna be Ted Talk monologue about "passion", not even talking to me , but talking at me like a wall and was basically insinuating I was a bum who didnt belong and was just trying take any job I can get and that I I dont posses the passion and qualities to have a career in tech... Iike the only way I could have a career in tech is if I was some uncouth hobbyist incel who's been building Rasberry Pis and studying quantum computing since I was 5 yrs old or some shyt.

He kept going on and on about passion and the more he kept talking the more I felt the need to physically assail him and murder him right there on the spot. I'm not joking or being exaggerate. I felt so low that I seriously considered just duffing him out and stomping his face in. It was a split second decision that made me not act on my impulses.

I swallowed my pride, made peace with not only my rejection but my then current lot in life and I thought to myself "yeah I'm fukked up in the game, But this'll never happen again, Ima make these bytch ass nikkas a believer"

I learned to ignore the inner voice of my own self doubt and other people's opinions and just grind grind grind.

There were no preacher's, life coaches, mentors, confidants or self-help gurus; I had to spiritually and mentally reconstruct myself as a person and become my own man and make shyt happen.

I spent mad nights staying up to 3 am just asorbing as much knowledge as possible, building my own vison board and drawing up practical ways to execute my long-term goals. I had never studied this much ever...at any point in my life for any reason, but the more I researched, and labbed, shyt begin to snowball FAST.

Even my wife noticed the change, and while she loved my new found ambition, she also thought I was falling into unhealthy obscession territory in pursuit of some pipe dream. Understandably so as I was uncharted territory for the 1st time in a long time in life. But sure enough shyt started changing FAST.

Jan, 2019 - I was working my 1st job in IT following a shaky two years of unemployment making $15 hourly, PT imaging PCs in setting up workstation

Jan 21, 2019 - a few weeks later I landed my 1st real enterprise IT gig doing Desktop Support, asset management and mobile device management for this huge ass company making $18 dollars an hour. I got exposed to alot of shyt in a short amount of time, but muthafukka didint want me to spread my wings so I dipped immediately.

July, 2019 - I landed a job as system administrator making $28 dollars per hour, 7 months later I got an increase to $36 Hourly. Again a picked up on alot of shyt in a short amount of time, and I was thrusted into a leadership role while juggling my self study in home labs and stacking certs.

Aug, 2020 - Just accepted and started this Cloud / Infrastructure Engineer @ $85,000 annually with a few more companies after the fact all offering me $95K-$115K for similar roles. Hell, I just got off the phone with a talent aquisition manager talking about $90K-110K is a very doable range.

I'm not cac benefitting from nepotism or any other ism, I'm not well-connected in the industry(yet), I didnt benefit from some incentivized program t\o hire minorities and I sure as hell didnt have a mentor or people holding my hands every step of the way. All I had was an old Dell laptop, several accounts spread across Udemy/Oreilly/Linux Academy/ITPro, VMware workstation to spin up VMs, and my ambition. Through my nonstop grind I started achieving and leapfrogging to the next level and higher paygrades and it made my wife a believer, She saw the method to my madness and she cant stop smiling now, She held me down too.

Lemm just wrap this up by circling back to "Passion".

Throughout my entire journey in IT thus far, I have never encountered someone who exuded unwavering extreme levels of "passion" about the shyt they do on a daily basis. What I do see 30% of the time is people dedicated enough about their crafts to keep their lights on, a roof over their head and their car not getting reposessed. What I do see is people who take pride in their profession but still maintain a great work life balance and are not really pressed to be in the office any longer than they have to.

The the other 70% is a combination of people looking to get into IT and washed up career tech support bums looking to get out of IT due to career burnout because they never had the wherewithal or ability to succeed long-term in Tech industry.

In short you dont need 24/7 365 passion, not even close to resembling passion.
What you do need is an 'always be growing' mentality, self-sufficiency and hustler's spirit. get a few certs and some experience under your belt and you should be gaining decent traction in your career. But you still gotta know your shyt, but that goes without saying.

This is a career...treat it as such

If you're meandering around and doing the bare minumum like its some forklft driver gig through a rinky-dink temp service; especially with all the resources you can parlay into a six-figure lifestyle then as the OG coli brehs use to say....

You pouring jelly on your self.

Step your hustle up brehs:ufdup:

Breh.... You're talking about IT, Admin and A+ shyt....

I'm talking about software, programming and engineering...

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
Breh.... You're talking about IT, Admin and A+ shyt....

I'm talking about software, programming and engineering...

His point is still relevent even if you replace the job he spoke about with engineering.

We all get the imposter syndrome and feel inadequate. Whats important is learning to get offer that hump instead of being quick to throw in the towel. If you stick with this, you will back and read this thread in a few years like "im.glad i listened :whew:"

Last edited:

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
You don't need to know 3-4 languages.. full stack sure but not 4 different languages.

You can apply for jobs that are looking for people who know the language that you know.

What they don't tell you is that coding is not for everyone. It's something you have to genuinely enjoy especially if you are going the self-taught route.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
The stuff that people lie about......They should be executed for the false examples that they put out.....perfect example of deception that The Coli and schools talk about coding.

We need worker unions again. STEM alone is not gonna improve the conditions of the working class. We need a massive overhaul cause this right wing, anti government "bootstraps" idea is not working for the majority.

///Vega+++

All Star
Daps
I was actually thinking of how Computer Science degrees are useless. You learn a lot of theory and math that you won't even use as a developer (unless you're in ML/AI). Seems like you're better off getting an easy degree, then teaching yourself on the side. I honestly might do that.
Not true
CS classes are supposed to teach you computer/os architecture, data structures, algorithms/complexity, networking/database and coding which is the 90% of the very basic knowledge an IT engineer must have

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Daps
Reppin
California
The stuff that people lie about......They should be executed for the false examples that they put out.....perfect example of deception that The Coli and schools talk about coding.

We need worker unions again. STEM alone is not gonna improve the conditions of the working class. We need a massive overhaul cause this right wing, anti government "bootstraps" idea is not working for the majority.
:gucci:. Also, good luck with that second part breh:mjlol:. The federal reserve already said that they are keeping interest rates and bond yields low for a long time. That means that assets will go up in value while the dollar's purchasing power goes down. That's why you see billionaires wealth increasing; they own a lot of assetts that are going up in value (businesses and stocks are assets). Only entity to blame for this is our Federal Reserve. They flooded the market with liquidity and artificially inflated stocks/real estate :francis:.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
:gucci:. Also, good luck with that second part breh:mjlol:. The federal reserve already said that they are keeping interest rates and bond yields low for a long time. That means that assets will go up in value while the dollar's purchasing power goes down. That's why you see billionaires wealth increasing; they own a lot of assetts that are going up in value (businesses and stocks are assets). Only entity to blame for this is our Federal Reserve. They flooded the market with liquidity and artificially inflated stocks/real estate :francis:.

They not invincible.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The thing is most "skills" that pay well are things 95% of people aren't passionate about.

I get where you’re coming from and I don’t want you to think I’m talking down on your point. I hope I’m expanding on it.

But imo if you can’t find any interests you can make money off of, you need more interests or better interests for you. Part of that comes with opportunity tho, which is obviously lacking in certain areas and demos

You don’t need to make bank if you do what you love everyday and it’s fronting all the