Just start shooting’: Police chief suspended for urging violence to halt George Floyd unrest

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
‘Just start shooting’: Police chief suspended for urging violence to halt George Floyd unrest
skysquare.gif

Published

2 hours ago
on

June 17, 2020
By

Sky Palma
AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to Facebook
FacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FlipboardFlipboardShare to Copy LinkCopy LinkShare to Email
Email
afp_protest.jpg

The police chief for the Courtdale Police Department in Pennsylvania has been suspended without pay for a post he made on Facebook about people taking part in the nationwide unrest in the wake of the death of George Floyd, The Citizen’s Voice reports.

“Just start shooting … This will end quick!!!!! This is making me sick!!!!” Chief Christopher Matello wrote in the now-deleted post.

According to Courtdale officials, Matello’s full punishment can’t be revealed because it’s a “personnel issue.”

Defend democracy. Click to invest in courageous progressive journalism today.
“He has taken ownership of the post and, as a result, council issued a disciplinary action and he’s currently serving that discipline handed out by council,” Courtdale solicitor Sam Sanguedolce said.

Speaking to WBRE-TV, Matello said that he made the comments because he was reacting to the “violence and the riots across the country.”

“I am not against the protesters,” he said. “I was not trying to incite violence. I did not mean that people should be shot.”

‘Just start shooting’: Police chief suspended for urging violence to halt George Floyd unrest