Just watched "the witch" :wow:

Discussion in 'The Film Room' started by Max., Aug 7, 2019.

1. MartyMcFly

MartyMcFly What's up doc, can we rock? Hall of Fame

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    P.G. County
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

i agree with your friend. There’s definitely a feminism statement there. Most of the witch trials during that era only happened because the men in charge were afraid of the women lol. There were no actual witches to speak of, hence the term “witch hunt.” Any woman who talked back or dressed a certain way or said no was declared a witch. It was a way of controlling their independent thought.

This movie echoes some of that in the relationship between the mom and daughter. So in the end, one character left embraces the other side because they’re allowing her to be free and be who she wants to be rather than telling her who she needs to be

Sonny Bonds and Shadow dapped this.
  2. OsO

OsO Souldier

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Harlem
    Coli Cash:
    $11.00

When she was teasing the twins about the witch I think she was fully under the control of the witches at that point. If you listen to what she says, she lays out exactly what happened to her family from a first-person perspective--the witches perspective.

What about the witches abducting both the baby and the younger brother while they were under her supervision? What about the blood that appeared when she tried to milk the cow/get the eggs from the chicken? Seems like the witch spirit was in her from the beginning.

3. MartyMcFly

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    P.G. County
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

for me, that’s just the witch letting nature take its course and working from the outside

OsO dapped this.
  4. ShaDynasty

ShaDynasty Pro

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $250500.00

^ Yes, the witches wanted her family to turn against her.

I feel like what Thomasin said to the twins was prophetic, and obviously it's not a coincidence but I dont think there's a good reason to believe the witches had tapped in. She was devout, they eventually had to put her in a position where she had no choice but to capitulate.

MartyMcFly dapped this.
  5. MartyMcFly

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    P.G. County
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Yup