K-Ci of Jodeci new video " Jesus Saves"

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I remember my music mentor who studied under Gerald Levert. Saying that a lot of R&B singers end up singing gospel because it's usually a nice transition into a new market once your R&B wave dies out significantly as an artist. However K-Ci life story is interesting and glad see the brotha doing better.

KCi started out as a gospel artist

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
A lot of younger people don't attend church like that anymore. But Funny story I remember being a minister of music before I stopped going to church myself and my mentor had us set up for a large gospel event. Great opportunity to work with musicians from out of state. Some heavy hitters and I remember meeting one singer before his performance and dude was telling my mentor how he was tired of doing the gospel circuit he was cursing left and right. Than goes out on stage singing his heart out. Me and my mentor was laughing. Good times. I remember the big talk back than in gospel circles was "Living the gospel" vs "singing the gospel" because a lot of the musicians in the circuit wanted to do secular music but gospel is a bit easier to get into on the front end but becomes harder once you want to work your way up.

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
KCi started out as a gospel artist

Like most R&B singers.
I think this is primarily why Soul and R&B is dying. A lot of the greatest artists grew up in the church and honed their skills there. That’s where they got that soul. You have white artists who try to mimic our soul, but it don’t hit the same. Then. A lot of the contemporary black artists don’t have any soul either, or they come with some singing/rap style that isn’t true R&B.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I think this is primarily why Soul and R&B is dying. A lot of the greatest artists grew up in the church and honed their skills there. That’s where they got that soul. You have white artists who try to mimic our soul, but it don’t hit the same. Then. A lot of the contemporary black artists don’t have any soul either, or they come with some singing/rap style that isn’t true R&B.

Church is usually where people 'learn' to sing, nowadays folks who have decent voices just think they can sing because they sing in the mirror, shower. and for they mama lol. This is why all the singers now be folks with soft voices because we assume that = a good voice, while in the past you saw singers with all types of voices and thats because they were actually taught to sing.

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
I think this is primarily why Soul and R&B is dying. A lot of the greatest artists grew up in the church and honed their skills there.
Nah don't blame the artists. It's all on the consumers ya'll don't want that authentic soul sound or R&B unless it's a Sam Smith or Bruno Mars doing it. Because you got people who make traditional R&B who gets zero attention from the consumer.
Like I was telling another poster in that Chris Brown thread someone like Eric Roberson should be getting more love he drops quality music. And than even the artists that stay in the Church like a Cory Henry who's one of the best Key and Organ players to date get no love from ya'll either.

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
Nah don't blame the artists. It's all on the consumers ya'll don't want that authentic soul sound or R&B unless it's a Sam Smith or Bruno Mars doing it. Because you got people who make traditional R&B who gets zero attention from the consumer.
Like I was telling another poster in that Chris Brown thread someone like Eric Roberson should be getting more love he drops quality music. And than even the artists that stay in the Church like a Cory Henry who one of the best Key and Organ players to day get no love from ya'll either.
I wouldn’t put it all on the consumers. It’s the way it’s marketed as well. I always said if “positive” rap was pushed as much as the “negative” rap, people would gravitate towards that as well. I don’t think anyone truly were a fan of someone like Cardi B when her first song came out, but when you play her song over and over and over, sheepish people start to like it.

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Nah the blame is mainly on the consumer. Because for the most part what ever horseshyt they see ya'll have a interest in the most is what they're going to hand feed ya'll. They do try to force certain artists onto the public but even still if ya'll don't collectively like that person they still gon flopped.
I wouldn’t put it all on the consumers. It’s the way it’s marketed as well. I always said if “positive” rap was pushed as much as the “negative” rap, people would gravitate towards that as well. I don’t think anyone truly were a fan of someone like Cardi B when her first song came out, but when you play her song over and over and over, sheepish people start to like it.
And another thing straight up. I don't blame a lot of musicians for leaving the church. Because every week you playing and practicing the same 4 or 5 hymns with the same annoying ass choir. Church nikkas are some of the most meanest folk you ever meet. I remember our drummer back in the day got bytched at because he was 15 minutes late for practice one week. But that nikka stayed in the next town over and got caught in a traffic jam on his way. And the money is garbage and they expect you to do a lot of shyt out the kindess of your heart. Like nah I need payment to run these licks on this keyboard playa.