Karen Bass Signs New Budget Which Include 3.2 billion for the LAPD

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps

Mayor Karen Bass signed the city's revised $13 billion budget for fiscal year 2023-24, following the City Council's vote earlier this week to approve its amended version of her originally proposed spending plan.

After weeks of deliberations, hours of public comment and final revisions, the council voted 13-1 to approve its amended version of the mayor's budget.

The final version includes an unprecedented $1.3 billion to address housing and homelessness and about $3.2 billion for the Los Angeles Police Department. "Wednesday's vote by the council will allow our city to scale the strategies that my office has already begun to implement to confront the emergency of homelessness with the urgency we need, boldly advance new methods to make our neighborhoods safer and strengthen our city's infrastructure to continue combating climate change and improving city services," Bass said in a statement. She thanked Council President Paul Krekorian and City Councilman Bob Blumenfield, chair of the council's Budget, Finance and Innovation Committee, and the rest of the council for "locking arms" with her.

The budget will take effect July 1. Krekorian said in a statement that the council "built on the broad outline of the mayor's proposed budget" with amendments to ensure "transparency and accountability" in the city's spending. The 2023-24 budget tops $13 billion for the first time, a $1.31 billion, or 11% increase, form the prior fiscal year and includes $566 million in a reserve fund. Councilwoman Eunissess Hernandez was the lone "no" vote.

She said while there are some "important investments" in the budget, it "fell far short" of meeting the needs of Angelenos. "We talked over and over about how we can uplift and fund these desperately needed programs and services because we wanted to create something that reflected the needs of a very diverse city," Hernandez told her colleagues the day of the vote.

"I have to say that I'm disappointed with the outcome of this process. When we have a budget that has 25% of our money going to policing, we're not creating a budget that is reflective of our values and the demands that we get every day from our constituents."
This article says direct funding decreased by 22m from last year lol.

He noted direct funding for the LAPD decreased by about $22 million compared to last year, and the budget will invest $16 million in funding for alternative crisis response programs, compared to just $8 million last year.

Alan Johnson

Breakfast for dinner.
Daps
Reppin
The Further
Is this the LAPD operating budget or total budget? Last year the total budget was 3.2 billion with a 1.9 billion operating budget. If the total budget is 3.2 billion it's a nothing burger.
It's the latter. The OP is only pretending to care about this now to play games.

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
It's the latter. The OP is only pretending to care about this now to play games.
Yeah I figured it out in my second post #17. They actually reduced it technically lol. In the article he posted it says the following.

He noted direct funding for the LAPD decreased by about $22 million compared to last year, and the budget will invest $16 million in funding for alternative crisis response programs, compared to just $8 million last year.

Slimkid07

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It was bound to happen.
With the increased (media) highlight of crime, the LAPD flat out ignoring lower crimes (a political reaction to Defund the Police) and the homeless problem,
billons was definitely going to be tossed at these situations. LAPD has one of the largest budgets though.

Most likely, things will remain the same.

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter
This article says direct funding decreased by 22m from last year lol.

You have to be a dumbass in math.....so the LAPD budget decreased by 22 million last year and they are getting 3.2 billion this year, which leaves them in the Black by $3.178 billion

They recieved extra funding to cover for the lost the LAPD recieved last year.

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
You have to be a dumbass in math.....so the LAPD budget decreased by 22 million last year and they are getting 3.2 billion this year, which leaves them in the Black by $3.178 billion

They recieved extra funding to cover for the lost the LAPD recieved last year.
I'm posting direct quotes from the article you posted, it's the same source lol. It's no evidence that the budget increased at worse it stayed the same since it was 3.2 last year.

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter
I'm posting direct quotes from the article you posted, it's the same source lol. It's no evidence that the budget increased at worse it stayed the same since it was 3.2 last year.

Where did I say or post the LAPD recieved a budget increase?

The thread title is:

Karen Bass Signs New Budget Which Include 3.2 billion for the LAPD​

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
Where did I say or post the LAPD recieved a budget increase?

The thread title is:

Karen Bass Signs New Budget Which Include 3.2 billion for the LAPD​

I never said you did post they increased the budget. I am simply pointing out that the budget is smaller.