Albums Kendrick Lamar - DAMN. (Discussion Thread)

Somebody

All Star
Daps
What does "interscope type hits" even mean

Eminem, , 2pac, 50, game, Marylin Manson, 9 inch nails, billie eillish, tory lanez, even compare summer walker to the nikka she’s based off, bryson tiller.

u never hear nothing from bryson. But summer walker all over social media saying weird shyt.

Interscope artists tend to be narrative, controversy driven for better or worse.

I don’t hate their approach. Music is bigger than music.

But sometimes they create hype that just ain’t real. Billie, Kendrick, and Eminem fall under that.

Interscope doesn’t have a rapper that technically raps better than Drake. Pac def made more of an impact and is super important, but that Pac is waaaaayyyy bigger than rap. If Get Rich Or Die Trying was a person, it would be Pac, but Pac still way smarter than that album.

But I really like DAMN’s concept. I think it’s arguably better than GKMC. It’s a top 2 kendrick album for sure.

PRIDE. is I Love Myself done right. Still think that song is terrible. But his experimentation was successful on DAMN while TPAB was a big miss.

It wasn’t intellectually compelling as some statement black music album.

Funk and Jazz is obviously black music.

TPAB got completely overshadowed by SB2H.

That was the truest statement about black music maybe of the century. He took back Punk and Grunge.

Mans got crucified for it, but it shaped the sound of the industry immediately after its release.

Uzi
XXX
juice
Peep

XXX’s last hit, SAD! was a nod to the second track on SB2H.

That album is important to me. I’m not that big of a cudi guy, but that’s clearly his best album to me.

He’s more OK Computer than Blueprint.

DAMN was a pop album with hits carried by the industry.

Mike Will
Rihanna
DJ Dahi

All those ppl have bigger hits without kendrick. Miley said hip hop is ass besides kendrick. And it was an easy argument to make, because he made a habit of isolating himself and ruining features.

DAMN was him saying “hey, I can at least hang with the club banger, hit maker types”

Musically it wasn’t better than GKMC, but conceptually it was light years ahead, and its just way better than TPAB.

Edit:
For context, I think Nas is the goat rapper rapper.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Eminem, , 2pac, 50, game, Marylin Manson, 9 inch nails, billie eillish, tory lanez, even compare summer walker to the nikka she’s based off, bryson tiller.

u never hear nothing from bryson. But summer walker all over social media saying weird shyt.

Interscope artists tend to be narrative, controversy driven for better or worse.

But sometimes they create hype that just ain’t real. Billie, Kendrick, and Eminem fall under that.

Interscope doesn’t have a rapper that technically raps better than Drake. Pac def made more of an impact and is super important, but that Pac is waaaaayyyy bigger than rap. If Get Rich Or Die Trying was a person, it would be Pac, but Pac still way smarter than that album.

But I really like DAMN’s concept. I think it’s arguably better than GKMC. It’s a top 2 kendrick album for sure.

PRIDE. is I Love Myself done right. Still think that song is terrible. But his experimentation was successful on DAMN while TPAB was a big miss.

That was the truest statement about black music maybe of the century. He took back Punk and Grunge.

Mans got crucified for it, but it shaped the sound of the industry immediately after its release.

Uzi
XXX
juice
Peep

That album is important to me. I’m not that big of a cudi guy, but that’s clearly his best album to me.

Mike Will
Rihanna
DJ Dahi

All those ppl have bigger hits without kendrick. Miley said hip hop is ass besides kendrick. And it was an easy argument to make, because he made a habit of isolating himself and ruining features.

DAMN was him saying “hey, I can at least hang with the club banger, hit maker types”

Musically it wasn’t better than GKMC, but conceptually it was light years ahead, and its just way better than TPAB.

Edit:

:gucci:

Kendrick released an album where damn near half the album was hits, went on an arena tour that grossed 60mil, and dominating that entire year yet you're saying his hype isn't real? What are you talking about. Brehs need to stop basing shyt on emotion and "i don't get it" and look at facts.

Billie Eilish isn't a star, with two albums that went multi plat effortlessly and a huge tour? Because...you don't hear her on the radio or something?

Eminem isn't the biggest rapper of all time sales wise?

NIN isn't one of the biggest bands of all time that STILL does big arena tours to this day?

Manson didn't do crazy numbers and tours for over a decade?

You need a better argument. When Interscope gets a hit, it's a home run. Period.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I HATE when threads dissolve into stupidity

The FACT of the matter is, that love him or hate him, Kendrick Lamar is the biggest rapper on earth not named Drake. He has at LEAST two classic albums that can easily be proven to have shifted the culture and made an imprint on the genre, and he is wildly respected by both his peers and the Legends that came before him.

His hype is real
His Hits on real
His impact is real

To say anything else is hating pure and simple. Kendrick Lamar is Hip Hop’s most authentic Superstar rapper. His backstory is verified, he writes his own shyt, his crew is dope, and he really “started from the bottom”.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
“Humble”was one of the biggest records that year.

broke streaming records at the time
It’s one of the worst songs he’s ever made

It’s also one of the most industry pushed payola records

shyt is straight up garbage corny flow and Kendrick’s most dumbed down lyrics over a generic stripped down trap beat

Majestic

Believe in myself and the Coles and Kendricks
Daps

Uzi
XXX
juice
Peep

Mike Will
Rihanna
DJ Dahi

Edit:
you smoking some shyt that done fried your brain cells.

Somebody

All Star
Daps

Kendrick released an album where damn near half the album was hits, went on an arena tour that grossed 60mil, and dominating that entire year yet you're saying his hype isn't real? What are you talking about. Brehs need to stop basing shyt on emotion and "i don't get it" and look at facts.

Billie Eilish isn't a star, with two albums that went multi plat effortlessly and a huge tour? Because...you don't hear her on the radio or something?

Eminem isn't the biggest rapper of all time sales wise?

NIN isn't one of the biggest bands of all time that STILL does big arena tours to this day?

Manson didn't do crazy numbers and tours for over a decade?

You need a better argument. When Interscope gets a hit, it's a home run. Period.

nah, u gotta stop dikkriding. besides Manson weird ass, I like interscope. the ones I named, Eminem, Billie, and Kendrick; ppl don't or very rarely listen to them outside.

its a lot of money to be made from lost contrarians such as yourself. check the box ass nikkas, but don't get the vibe.

music is communal. if nikkas don't play any of your music outside, u a hype machine.

nikkas not playin manson and nine inch nails outside, I don't care if they tour outer space.

would much rather hear fall out boy. and if u watch football, u will during the game. the best music is functional.

u making my argument. bringing up meaningless hype stats.

kendrick is a midlevel hitmaker atm. u will hear started from the bottom at an nba or nfl game before u hear humble even today, and I give mike will made it most of the credit for that song. weird ass beat goes dumb. the true collab between the two was dna.

kendrick's best hits are from gkmc and we gon be alright. I would give him loyalty, but he was carried by ri, production, and a fire travis scott cloned hook.

again, kendrick not even the best hitmaker on his label. hits from the documentary go harder than any kendrick hit to date.

kendrick and eminem can sell all they want. they are the mc hammer and vanilla ice of fedora hat music. one side of the spectrum, nikkas dance too much. the other side, nikkas can't dance at all, so they need the hype machine :mjlol: