Kevin Costner: Hollywood didn't want to finance my black film

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Kostner: So I wanna get some funding for this movie I wanna make :skip:

Studios: Go on...:beli:

Kostner: But its gonna have a strong black presence and cast....

Studio: :beli: oh really...

Kostner: yeah...I think it has Oscar written all over it...

Studio: We'll get back to u...

Kostner: :whoa: don't worry tho..I got black crack heads and black bad parents and everything...and of course....I got the white savior...think blind side with crack sprinkled on it :win:

Studio: :ohhh:...I do like the black crack head part..but....

:mjlol:..........pass.
:mjlol:

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Something tells me that if they were going to do a movie about Aunt Jemima and Mrs. Butterworth, Octavia Spencer would be first in line to audition for the roles. :patrice:

She's the new c00n Mammy of hollywood.

She was never considered a serious actor before The Help. Where she basically played a stereotypical sassy black woman.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
you think these rich Hollywood Jews give a damn what the movie is about or what race is cast in it? They're about one thing. If it makes dollars, it makes sense.

Unfortunately, black people don't support their own movies being made A) it's some Tyler Perry shyt or other silly shyt or B) it stars Will Smith or Denzel.

There's always the exception here and there, with Fruitvale Station, Precious, etc. but even those got hype due to Sundance first.

I don't blame the studios, chances are they're going to lose money if they make a movie like this. Gotta get out and support this kind of filmmaking for the studios to take notice and want to make more films like it.

Yes they do

black movies do a lot better than a lot of so called white stars but its never spoken on

plus you didn't even read the article, but this costner movie isn't a black film in the vain you are speaking on

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
:comeon: At that fukken story line. Aint nobody wanna see that bullshyt.

I am sick of these cacs blaming the fact it is a "black film", and that is why it didn't get funding. :comeon:

Maybe because it has a bullshyt script and bullshyt story.

Keep it 100 brehs, Red tails was a hot fukken mess. That some embarrassing shyt. It was straight disrespectful to the Tuskegee Airmen.

That fakkit George Lucas, needs to sit his ass down, for making that mess. I will say he did a good job promoting it though, talking about "his black film didn't get funding", so what happened? Black folks in droves went to "support" that bullshyt movie.
George Lucas who made Star Wars and is worth 5.2 billion can't finance some picture? :comeon:

Whole bunch of scripts get rejected all the time b. :manny:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
fukk all this shyt.....I'm still waiting on that....

tumblr_inline_mp95lsclFN1qz4rgp.jpg

Where's the kickstarter?

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
The stereotypes are only part of the problem.. the biggest problem is how the stereotypes are portrayed...

The Wire was full of stereotypes.. but the characters were written so well and had so much depth to them that they rise above them. So much that you hae interest in both the cops and the criminals lives... To this day it's the only show that I've seen that got urban personality right... Most other movies and shows (even great ones) like The Sopranos and The Shield... had rehashed lazy stereotypes when it came to black and latino characters...

To be honest the premise for the movie doesn't sound THAT bad... it's HIS granddaughter.. so he obviously has some sort of connection to her... it doesn't sound like a typical "white savior" role IMO.... I'm gonna wait for at least a trailer before I attempt to judge how this movie looks

And I have to disagree with the cat that said Octavia Spencer is strictly picking c00n roles.. I honestly think she's taking get the best roles that are offered to her. She's not exactly getting Halle Berry or Paula Patton.. she's not going to get the roles they get.