Kevin Garnett "AAU killing basketball"

HellRell804

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kevin Garnett blaming AAU for 'killing' game is lazy, disingenuous — and wrong | NBA | Sporting News

“Our league is now at a point where you have to teach more than anything. AAU has killed our league. Seriously. I hate to even say this, but it’s real. From the perspective that these kids are not being taught anything. They have intentions and they want things, but the way they see it is not how our league works. You have to earn everything in this league. You’re not entitled to anything. And it’s more entitlement than anything.”

I'm conflicted, I understand where he's coming from but there's also times where AAU basketball provides opportunities for players who normally wouldn't get any burn (due to being stuck behind an older or better player not getting minutes to improve, or just plain politics like not getting along with the coach or the coach is related to/or likes another player regardless of raw skills)

Your thoughts

KOBE

Superstar
Daps
The problem is no one is teaching any kids defense any fukking defense, in particular the guards.

There are legit no excuses for some guys. You got some of the most explosive athletes at guard and yet the majority of guards don't do shyt to keep their man in front of them or regularly contest/close out after switches.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
Earl Watson got a scholarship to UCLA because of AAU ball, he really wasn't getting any shine at his high school because Kansas City, Kansas public schools aren't known for producing McDonald's all americans.
I think he's obviously talking about the culture of AAU, not its mere existence as an entity alongside high school basketball.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
:mjlol: What?

The best it's been? How?
because I've watched teh NBA for most of my life and its better now than its been since the 80s.

The problem is no one is teaching any kids defense any fukking defense, in particular the guards.

There are legit no excuses for some guys. You got some of the most explosive athletes at guard and yet the majority of guards don't do shyt to keep their man in front of them or regularly contest/close out after switches.
the thing is no one was being taught how to defend before the "AAU" became a thing. Go watch some tape of 80s bball. They defend better now than back then.
That is more of a testament to the talent pool and vets always forget how they were as teens when they are 40.
maybe, but I dont think AAU is killing anything.

Thats not defending AAU ball either, but this terrible NBA some people want to scream abnout just is not reality.

Edub

Veteran
Daps
I like KG but he yaps a lot....I see him being Charles Barkley like in a few years. He talks to kevin Mchale and he this guy...then he sits in zone 21
wit Rasheed Wallace and he's another guy. KG is still figuring out his retirement personna.....til then his talk is all salt grains for me.

And the cuss button is corny.

Last edited: