KID CAPRI talking all dat shyt..but he ain't want dat smoke with DOO WOP ..when he called him a SPIC

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
:francis: OLD HEAD MIXTAPE conneserius such as myself remember how "hot" things got back then in the early 90's......when Kid Capri was feeling some type of way about the new Puerto Rican kid from the BX on the mixtape block who was killing the mixtape scene and was getting booked for mad gigs and was the first to secure CELEBRITY FEATURES for his mixtapes by the likes of Q TIP, MOP, BUSTA RHYMES and KEITH MURRAY..

d0cd-79fc-4d76-96db-1df31f7aab71.jpg

HIS 95 LIVE mixtape is hands down top 5 greatest mixtapes to come out of NYC or top 5 as far as traditional mixtapes in general...IT HAD EVERYBODY WHO WAS ANYBODY IN NYC AT THAT TIME FREESTYLING ON IT...

im a certified MIXTAPE OG head who use to cop tapes and record off the radio mixes so much out the tristate that i only purchased 3 lps during that time period of 1990-1994 ...that was Jungle Brothers "Done by the Forces of Nature"...BDP "Edutainment" and Nas's classic Illmatic
:yeshrug:

because all day i kept cassettes on deck!!!...matter of fact i just cleaned out my garage and came across one of my old Red Alert tapes from 1990!

raw

Anyway i recall Kid Capri having static with Doo Wop cause Wop was part of that new generation that came up after Bruice B and Kid Capri and Starchild whom were now moving beyond just doing parties and slinging tapes at spots for 5 to 10 bucks to now getting features and locking down studio time and getting exclusive records from the labels

Which was the new wave anyway once Clue came thru anyway along with a host of others like dj craig g. ..big mike ...envy and others.....

but it became a personal thing for Capri as far as Wop because they were from the same boro , and Wop in Capri words was taking the mixtape game to a darker path...

because Wop tapes was GANGSTA AS FUKK....

first dj mixtape i heard which featured rappers talking about SELLING CRACK IN THE FIRST PERSON :picard:

which was a culture shock for myself and many bboys, cause we were just coming out of the afrocentric era with brand nubian, xclan, bdp and the native tongues....so this was defintily a CHANGE IN THE GAME...

Wop had cats like Lord Tariq and the Money Boss Playas outta soundview talking that "boss blood blocks of rocks" shyt and also PMS ...first females i heard to talk like dominican dope dealers...

"i got all flavas....but im not selling blow pops and now a laters
im pushing crack out the back of louie's bodega"
:damn:

and Wop himself WAS GOING HARD ON THE MIC...HE REALLY COULD RAP HIS AZZ OFF :mjgrin:

And even participated in the EAST COAST WEST COAST beef by releasing the single off his mixtape entitled N.Y LOVE featuring the god KING SUN ...

And no im not :cape: for Funk flex byatch azz everybody who know me knows i hate that fukka

but i gotta call a spade a spade.....this is some clout chasing shyt for Capri :yeshrug:

HE WASN'T ABOUT THAT "BATTLE" LIFE...even after WOP offered him a "fade" on the turntables AND the street after he got so bitter he got mad racist and called him a SPIC on the mic at a downtown club which got back to WOP...

he NEVER FUKKING CARED FOR DJ CLUE ...

him and DJ S&S and all the rest of the uptown deejays hated the way CAPRI leveled up and changed it from a "skill game" to a "who got the exclusive records game" as promo for the labels and artists...

Capri couldn't adapt....and basically sought an exit and went back to the party circuit OUTSIDE THE NYC...

Last edited:

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
Yo you bought it back true indeed Capri didn’t like wop cause wop did bring that gangsta shyt to the tapes I always liked doo wop over Capri as far as tapes go and wop could rap I forgot about that too

word is bond!!....Wop had some gangsta azz tapes...he was capturing the GRIMEY FEEL of NYC at the time with ONYX, MOP and others as NY hip hop was moving from the ciphers and afrocentric era into the crack spots and toting glocks time period...

i mean lets be real the change was evident..you had Brand Nubians telling people back in like 1990 to "wake up wake up" ...to now telling people in 1993 that PUNKS JUMP UP TO GET BEATDOWN!!!!!!!!!!! :damn:

shyt was getting grimey...i remember he had Sadat X freestyle on one tape...

"everybody's fukking ..no she wasn't raped...you just got MAD ..your girl got VIDEOTAPED" :huhldup:

MOFOS WAS GIVING NO FUKKS..AND WOP TAPES REPRESENTED THAT..as opposed to the FUN LOVING PARTY STYLE TAPES OF KID CAPRI ...

Here is an example of one of Wop's classic grimey tapes..

Daps
What explains Doo Woo decline? He didn’t have the same impact post 2003 when the Kay Slay, Big Mike, DJ Drama came into picture. Even Clue didn’t resonate that much in that era.