Kobe settles out of court of a fan he elbowed, died 2 months later (unrelated)

Ashyneezz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This is why I'd never sit courtside at an NBA game. I don't need them big ass nikkaz flyin all up on me n shyt. :rudy:

:comeon: Yea you don't sit in the best seats because you don't want to get your chest caved in :childplease:

Sound like something a broke brotha would say :manny:

Bilz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
of course, but that wasnt my point

Your point was that Kobe waited several years, saw the original plaintiff die, then waited a few more years while the case bounced in and out of courts and ultimately settled it now out of "kindness". I found that point to be weak and conjectural :manny:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Your point was that Kobe waited several years

that wasnt my point

my only issues as with the word precedent. I think of precedent as a judicial thing, not a fan getting mad and suing thing.

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps
Ko'ing kobe on tv would have been trill

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Bilz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
that wasnt my point

my only issues as with the word precedent. I think of precedent as a judicial thing, not a fan getting mad and suing thing.

I wasn't arguing whether or not it set a precedent, I was disagreeing with your assertion that the settlement had anything to do with kindness.

Ultimately, a court did decide to hear this case. These cases are all designed to reach settlement so they don't need the results of a landmark case to help their side, they just need to get the courts to hear it. If more people now feel emboldened enough to introduce their own player altercations to the court, then it's hard to argue that a precedent wasn't set with this.

I think most people hearing this story immediately throw the case out as being frivolous but I never saw any footage of what actually happened. I think players should be able to safely move around during the context of the game and not be punished for any incidental contact that occurs but if it's in more of a Ron Artest/Stephen Jackson fashion, there might be a place for it in the courtroom.