Larry June x Cardo - The Night Shift (Discussion Thread)

Jards

All Star
Daps
Different strokes, people in the Larry Alc thread complained it wasn't bouncy enough and wanted the cardo sound back, like @dora_da_destroyer .Good thing he worked with both to satisfy everyone :ehh:

I like all of it, I liked all of the larry sub-genres he's dabbled in except probably the trap sound he had but that seems to be gone mostly now
I think both projects are on equal footing - as an ALC fan we know we’re not getting kicks and bass knocking but we do know that ALC is one of the coldest, if not the coldest in the game at flipping samples and Great Escape was top tier in that regard. If you do want kicks knocking and bass groove though then Cardo for me is the best in the game at that which why him and Larry have so much dope shyt and Night Shift lives up to those expectations. For what each project is trying to do, I think both ALC and Cardo knocked it out the park and they both gave Larry some crazy shyt to vibe to which is why for me they’re 1A and 1B for best producers in rap at this point.

Jards

All Star
Daps
Beats bang no doubt but not cardo at all.. tempo set to high, jazz elements not there, southern feel not there at all. But a virgin ear couldn’t tell the difference.
Cardo has a few different sounds though - he’s got the jazzy shyt but he’s also got the trap stuff (e.g Family Ties) then the g-funk inspired shyt like what he gives to Pay, Larry and them. I fukk with some of Jimmy Waters (mainly because the beats are dope) but he’s clearly to copy the same shyt that Larry and Cardo do - even some of the stuff that Dom K does on FTWWL

Jards

All Star
Daps
Ocean Cusine is tough. That's the second time 2 Chainz bodied Larry on his own shyt though :picard:
Larry was dope on Still Boomin but Chainz went crazy on his that shyt lol

2 chainz always floats when hes on a laid back vibe not trying to chase a hit

He should lowkey be on cardo's radar

Yep gets his shyt off whenever he works with the Indie artists like Larry or Spitta - should probably give up on the mainstream shyt as it’s not his time right now and just do some tapes with Fraud, Cardo, Sledgren, etc

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This projects sound is way more funk/synth than jazz.
More R&Bish than jazz really.
Very approachable if someone were to be a new fan just learning about Larry June.
I like this more than Great Escape for replay value.
I feel Great Escape is certain mood and Night Shift is random mood - if that makes sense.

I'll say again tho - "Wont Wait" is a monstrous piece of songwriting and is a definite radio/crossover hit and its not by accident.
I expect them to push this song hard

Jards

All Star
Daps
This projects sound is way more funk/synth than jazz.
More R&Bish than jazz really.
Very approachable if someone were to be a new fan just learning about Larry June.
I like this more than Great Escape for replay value.
I feel Great Escape is certain mood and Night Shift is random mood - if that makes sense.

I'll say again tho - "Wont Wait" is a monstrous piece of songwriting and is a definite radio/crossover hit and its not by accident.
I expect them to push this song hard
Totally get this - Great Escape is a AOTY contender for me but I have to be in the mood to listen to it.

Good points regarding mainstream push - I think they’ve put this together knowing that Larry’s profile has increased a lot since their last project and Cardo already knows how to get high profile placements with people like Drake, Kendrick, H.E.R, etc - it has a good balance of being able to appeal to a mainstream audience but still staying with the sound that the core fans like.

I actually fukk with won’t wait lol

Peauxboy

Pro
Daps
Not sure but Perico was on Back on Figg podcast a couple of months back and someone in the chat asked him about G-Worthy 2 - he just said Cardo don’t fukk with him and don’t speak to him :snoop:

mcnulty-pissed.gif

This has been on repeat HEAVY, car and crib. Had the wife sitting low in the seat low key embarrassed, but laughing as I had this slapping while pumping gas dancing like

kanye-dance.gif