Last Living Parent of Girls Killed in 1963 Birmingham Church Bombing has Died at 93

invalid

Banned
Daps

==========

Maxine McNair, last living parent of a child killed in Birmingham church bombing, dies at 93

Maxine McNair, the last living parent of any of the children killed in the 1963 bombing of Birmingham’s 16th Street Baptist Church, died Sunday at age 93.

McNair’s daughter, Denise McNair, died in the bombing alongside Addie Mae Collins, Carole Rosamond Robertson and Cynthia Dionne Wesley. The case went unsolved for years. Three members of the Ku Klux Klan were eventually convicted, the first in 1977 and two more in 2001.

Maxine McNair worked as a teacher for 33 years in the Birmingham public school system. Her daughter Lisa McNair said she changed many lives through education and left a lasting legacy in the students she touched.

AIMI3I2MAJA6BLBCYQZ2BO5MFQ.TIF

Denise (left) and Maxine McNair. Denise McNair died in the 1963 bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham. Her mother died on Jan. 2, 2022.

“We will miss her terribly,” Lisa McNair said. “She was a wonderful mother and an excellent schoolteacher.”

The Birmingham church bombing shocked the nation during the fight for the Civil Rights. The four girls between the ages of 11 and 14 became innocent victims and emblems of the racist hatred that animated much of the opposition to equal rights.

VK7K2HWWV5CNPJ7RILQID4FAJA.JPG
An older picture of Maxine McNair, mother of 16th Street Baptist Church bombing victim Denise McNair.

McNair and her husband, former Jefferson County Commissioner Chris McNair, waited decades for justice in the case. The family attended trials in 2001 and 2002 of two men identified as suspects in 1965 but not prosecuted for more than 30 years. According to news reports from the trial, Maxine McNair had attended church the day of the bombing but wasn’t injured in the blast. She described her thoughts after the explosion.

“The first thing I said was, ‘My baby. My baby.’ I don’t know why I said that,” she said, according to the Birmingham News.

Lisa McNair said her mother always stressed the importance of education. In 2002, Villanova University in Pennsylvania created a scholarship to honor Denise McNair.

Birmingham City Council President Wardine Alexander said Maxine McNair was an icon in her community.

“To many she was simply the mother of Denise McNair, one of the four little girls,” Alexander said. “To us, in the Cairo community of District 7, she was neighbor, friend, and long-time educator. She will forever be etched in our hearts as a matriarch of social justice and Birmingham Civil Rights.”

Birmingham Mayor Randall Woodfin released a statement on Facebook about McNair’s death.

“Mrs. McNair was a matriarch of social justice in our city, an incredible wife and mother who imparted love and wisdom on hundreds of young minds while serving 33 years in the Birmingham public school system,” Woodfin wrote.

========

RIP :mjcry:

RaspberryFitted

Boyz In Motion Member
Daps
Reppin
G-Co
Bless her and the other parents. I’m glad they are all reunited.

Read about the bombing in the book The Watson’s Go To Birmingham.

Coco Loco

The Chocolate One with the Gold Cuffs
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RIP Ms. Maxine. That black dress could still see these 2022 streets, classics never go out of style. That bombing is still unbelievable to me. Blew up an entire church full of people like it was nothing. Hell could never be hot enough

invalid

Banned
Daps
@Dorian Gray and to the African American posters who read this.
To what extent do you think that racial reckoning is possible in this country?

Not possible. There is still a global racial caste system. If the African is not free, then neither are we. And until global black men are ready to die for their liberty, it will never be attained. True liberty is gained by blood.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
@Dorian Gray and to the African American posters who read this.
To what extent do you think that racial reckoning is possible in this country?

I feel pessimistic, the same tactics keep getting used again and again successfully and the fact we are backsliding to the worst type of right wing radicalism in 2021 bodes very ill for the future. I remember reading about this event and that there was a prominent conservative magazine back then (I really think it was National Review when William Buckley ran it) that tried to outright suggest that this atrocity was a "false flag"/fake news by Negro or Marxist agitators for sympathy. After there had been decades of bombings, arson, and lynchings preceding it. All this Q and Alex Jones stuff isn't as new as it looks.

It seems the only times countries truly have a reckoning is post absolute collapse, military defeat (like Germany) or a national emergency where Black people are deemed essential. None of those options seems like a fun time.