Late pass: I didn't know Strom Thurmond had a black daughter.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans

CACtain Planet

The Power is YOURS!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
CACness Aberdeen

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Damn, I must of missed that announcement back then.

Mau Mau.

Essie Mae Washington-Williams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Strom Thurmond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This motherfukker knew she was his daughter the whole time too, even when he was spouting that segregation shyt.

Sorry, but I just found this out. Don't mock me too much.

How the hell did they keep it a secret so long?

If you look at the circumstances under which she was conceived, you can see that this kind of conception itself was a relic of social relations that extend back to slavery, and not uncommon back then, either. Lots of ardently racist white men were fathering Black children, some of whom went unacknowledged, and others who were recognized, but only in secret. Before the internet, etc, this stuff was easy enough to keep under wraps.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
If you look at the circumstances under which she was conceived, you can see that this kind of conception itself was a relic of social relations that extend back to slavery, and not uncommon back then, either. Lots of ardently racist white men were fathering Black children, some of whom went unacknowledged, and others who were recognized, but only in secret. Before the internet, etc, this stuff was easy enough to keep under wraps.

I know that, what threw me off was that according to her, Thurmond kept an active interest in her life throughout the years.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
if you see an elderly mulatto, chances are it was from white male/black female relations. the cost of pawging was simply too much for a lot of brothers in the old days. of course today it is now totally reversed.

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
It was big news when it was made public a few years back. 60 minutes interviewed Essie May back then where she talks about the relationship as she knew it and as told by her mother to her. The transcripts are on the web.

Darth Nubian

I bought my first Ki from my baby momma brother
Daps
Reppin
The Black Star

Darth Nubian

I bought my first Ki from my baby momma brother
Daps
Reppin
The Black Star
It wasn't?

Do you care to share?

South Carolina isn't very big. The county of Edgefield (Dirt County) is sparsly populated and mostly Black. Strom's has been doting on his daughter his whole life. She attended the local HBCU and he visited her there etc. Imagine what it was like when mulatto children showed up on the plantation. Everyone would know what the deal was, but nobody said anything.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Pic violation :birdman:

senator_200-28f076f0ff7bd0151954ea414d90c8074b471ff9-s6-c10.jpg

382887692_c8dabb8094_o.jpg

thurms.jpg

Picture from Strom Thurmond Institute at Clemson University in SC

If I was young early 20th century stunna, I would have tried to get in them mulatto guts.. :whoo::troll:

superunknown23

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Remember how Al Sharpton freaked out when he found out that his great-grandfather (Coleman Sharpton) was owned by the Thurmond family? :pachaha:

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
South Carolina isn't very big. The county of Edgefield (Dirt County) is sparsly populated and mostly Black. Strom's has been doting on his daughter his whole life. She attended the local HBCU and he visited her there etc. Imagine what it was like when mulatto children showed up on the plantation. Everyone would know what the deal was, but nobody said anything.

I've been to South Carolina many times.

I was just surprised that because the man was in politics preaching about segregation and spewing KKK rhetoric, all while keeping a close eye and having interest in his daughter's life. You figured some opponent would have exposed it.

KillSpray

Don't be mad
Daps
Reppin
The top of the City
I've been to South Carolina many times.

I was just surprised that because the man was in politics preaching about segregation and spewing KKK rhetoric, all while keeping a close eye and having interest in his daughter's life. You figured some opponent would have exposed it.

This kinda shows how the difference between what groupthink and what individuals think can do to people.