Lawrence Otis Graham, Best Selling Author of Our Kind of People, dies at 58

invalid

Banned
Daps

TanLastGemsbuck-max-1mb.gif

I wish there was the ability where one can pay to attend virtually. Should be an interesting convo.

They put up past videos on their site so it may be available afterward.

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
I wish there was the ability where one can pay to attend virtually. Should be an interesting convo.

you bootlicking negros have your own film festival?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

They sent Chestnut.

Lee Daniels and the other producers would get a different reception and line of questioning, I'd imagine.
Otherwise, get ready for the...

WaterloggedSpiritedIndianspinyloach-size_restricted.gif

I've read about a growing Arts community up there. Is the film festival crowd made up mostly of younger people? Professional artists from NY, ATL,CHI, LA, Bay?
Or is it a general crowd from the MV set?

Last edited:

invalid

Banned
Daps
They sent Chestnut.

Lee Daniels and the other producers would get a different reception and line of questioning, I'd imagine.

I've read about a growing Arts community up there. Is the film festival crowd made up mostly of younger people? Professional artists from NY, ATL,CHI, LA, Bay?
Or is it a general crowd from the MV set?

The Oak Bluffs set has always had among its ranks creatives. I wouldn’t characterize it as ‘growing’ as it has always been around. They are the modern day successors to the creative Harlem Renaissance crowd.

And the film festival has elements of both, young creatives from around the country as well as from the Oak Bluffs set, like Melissa Haizlip, who debuted the documentary on her uncle, Mr. Soul, as well as a few other documentaries. Melissa grew up summering in Oak Bluffs.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The Oak Bluffs set has always had among its ranks creatives. I wouldn’t characterize it as ‘growing’ as it has always been around. They are the modern day successors to the creative Harlem Renaissance crowd.

And the film festival has elements of both, young creatives from around the country as well as from the Oak Bluffs set, like Melissa Haizlip, who debuted the documentary on her uncle, Mr. Soul, as well as a few other documentaries. Melissa grew up summering in Oak Bluffs.
Thanks for the correction. Was just trying to figure out if young creatives will react differently to the series than the older folks from conservative professions.

Was asking are the festival attendees from the general community.

invalid

Banned
Daps
Thanks for the correction. Was just trying to figure out if young creatives will react differently to the series than the older folks from conservative professions.

Was asking are the festival attendees from the general community.

Nah, the young creatives from the set are going to react just like the older conservatives, probably even worse, because it’s their families being represented and potentially being brought to the slaughter, especially in light of today’s social media cancel culture.

As far as festival patronage, patronage is from all over. Right now is the most popular time to be on the island up until Labor Day which goes into the timing of the festival. On top of artist bringing their families and friends, all types of people come to Oak Bluffs for the festival. It’s not just the general community.

The island is pretty open bro. You do know when Freaknik was at its height, they tried to bring it to the Vineyard. They had a couple of black beach weeks with dwellers from the finest hoods and purveyors of all things ratchet packed on the Vineyard. It got pretty wild from what I heard. The black Vineyarders were horrified but I suspect some of their younger children who were attending Morehouse or Howard at the time were responsible for the idea. They eventually put a stop to this after instituting a year in advance reservation system for the ferry.

But anyway, if you have a chance to get to the Vineyard, visit. The folks would be happy to see your face and happy that black people would want to visit in general.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Nah, the young creatives from the set are going to react just like the older conservatives, probably even worse, because it’s their families being represented and potentially being brought to the slaughter, especially in light of today’s social media cancel culture.

As far as festival patronage, patronage is from all over. Right now is the most popular time to be on the island up until Labor Day which goes into the timing of the festival. On top of artist bringing their families and friends, all types of people come to Oak Bluffs for the festival. It’s not just the general community.

I agree, but I think there will be a segment of the younger creatives who might see the series as a way of opening avenues for them to tell their stories. I think they might be reluctant to voice objections/criticisms . Entertainment industry follows and capitalizes on trends. If OKOP series is renewed or becomes a hit...it might benefit some of the creatives who are shopping projects.
I speculated that some of the pre-release criticism of Self Made was muted within Black creative and academic spaces along those lines.

Thanks. Have some buddies who've invited me up over the years. Will mention them later when I reply to the part of your post about folks bringing Freaknik/ Kappa Beach Party to Martha's Vineyard. hehe I read that part 4 times like, wait!what?.

Last edited:

Mtt

Superstar
Daps
Show looks like trash :hhh:
Damn shame what they did to this book. I hope it flops. Hard.
Im.glad those actors ha e a chance to get some paper but they really honestly didn't need to base this show in that book at all. It's like what's the point. By using that book and go against the real culture and vibe of that insukar group is stupid cause lee Daniels and them has to incorporate the " diva" or attitude somewhere in that series otherwise it will be dry . Personally I doubt the author may he r.i.p , would've approve of all of that. In fact, the majority of the adults from that book those families wouldn't have approved that project to begin with .... I'm glad YaYa, Morris Chestnut and those folks working just don't approve of the project but who am I ....so it is what it is .....

Low key they should've hired the dude from different world who is dating or wife up the girl from Cosby show .his father well his family is from that group and he didn't manage the families money after the father died unfortunately and I'm sure he went against his family wishes to pursue his dream but the drawback is money management and he lack that part at the time .

Darryl M. Bell is his name ,the actor.

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
A lodge of the Saints John of Jerusalem
Im.glad those actors ha e a chance to get some paper but they really honestly didn't need to base this show in that book at all. It's like what's the point. By using that book and go against the real culture and vibe of that insukar group is stupid cause lee Daniels and them has to incorporate the " diva" or attitude somewhere in that series otherwise it will be dry . Personally I doubt the author may he r.i.p , would've approve of all of that. In fact, the majority of the adults from that book those families wouldn't have approved that project to begin with .... I'm glad YaYa, Morris Chestnut and those folks working just don't approve of the project but who am I ....so it is what it is .....

Low key they should've hired the dude from different world who is dating or wife up the girl from Cosby show .his father well his family is from that group and he didn't manage the families money after the father died unfortunately and I'm sure he went against his family wishes to pursue his dream but the drawback is money management and he lack that part at the time .

Darryl M. Bell is his name ,the actor.
I agree with you about the actors getting work. Especially after seeing Joe Morton in the trailer. I've always liked him, and think he doesn't get his props. In it's original form, this would have been a good doc, but I don't like how they flipped the script into to shyt that you'd see on OWN.

Edit: Speaking of Joe, it's kinda funny seeing him go from shytting on the black establishment in The Inkwell to now being a part of it this.