Lawrence Otis Graham, Best Selling Author of Our Kind of People, dies at 58

Cape Town JHB

All Star
Daps
Read the book. It is fascinating and you get more depth. Dorothy West is a great writer and her ability to write from different perspectives including that of a child is quite engaging.
I'm halfway through the book again, due to this thread. I'd encourage anyone to read the damn book, she's an incredible writer and made me go search up like 5 words I've never ever used before, including "incorrigible".. Which ironically is the perfect term for the bougie Boule types obsession with assimilation.

Dorothy West is a great writer, I'm looking for writers of her ilk, but I know that shyt is rare to none

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Dr Amos N Wilson and John Henrik Clarke can break it down way better than I ever could
:wow:
I don't wanna derail Graham's memorial thread. That's why I won't engage with you One Drop Rule brehs :unimpressed:

I'm still waiting for you to respond to @boy 's reveal about Dorothy West, and what she looked like,

While we're waiting for that, here is another reveal for you related to the JHC lecture you posted.

These are the quotes of Dr. John Henrik Clarke. The person he's referring to is in the spoiler.

"I admired (person), even with his flaws. He was the BEST person that Black America has ever sent to Washington. He got the job done"

ADAM CLAYTON POWELL JR
aurc5oPTT3JFDQKaPKK_cPTEWeyT08cHF_1UOl-ofukhPKi6-VEuBIOEWcV-_KV4BLOhTegtEus2AFMiZhRphs1ciqHYXG9hBwsPByhgwo0SbV_WYWfrVQXtWz6or7ShRQN-SX8JZwmYQ4ZOabN7x38

Cape Town JHB

All Star
Daps
I'm still waiting for you to respond to @boy 's reveal about Dorothy West, and what she looked like,

While we're waiting for that, here is another reveal for you related to the JHC lecture you posted.

These are the quotes of Dr. John Henrik Clarke. The person he's referring to is in the spoiler.

"I admired (person), even with his flaws. He was the BEST person that Black America has ever sent to Washington. He got the job done"

ADAM CLAYTON POWELL JR
aurc5oPTT3JFDQKaPKK_cPTEWeyT08cHF_1UOl-ofukhPKi6-VEuBIOEWcV-_KV4BLOhTegtEus2AFMiZhRphs1ciqHYXG9hBwsPByhgwo0SbV_WYWfrVQXtWz6or7ShRQN-SX8JZwmYQ4ZOabN7x38

Breh I'm not gonna derail a thread, if you wanna assimilate into America and breed out your Africanness that's on you.

We don't have to argue. I'm black first, GENETICALLY, and ideologically.
You don't have to nitpick which mullatos were good and which were not.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Folks acting like all black frats/sororities/organizations are filled with light brights and exoticals

When "authorities" like Tariq Nasheed and Jason Black repeat these talking points, a lot of people who couldn't name two of the Divine 9 take it to heart. I remember during Kamala's presidential campaign Jason Black claimed Black sororities were where light skinned and biracial women stunt on darker skin women for leadership and obedience. Like we still living in some Skool Dayz shyt.

Funny thing is 90% of the light skinned people I knew growing up are married to dark skinned people now.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I just heard in an interview that LOG had retained a level of control over the project to protect the depiction of many of the subjects.

Hopefully, his wife steps in to maintain oversight. Otherwise, it's about to be a whole lot of fukkery.
Official greenlight is on

Mar 29, 2021
Lee Daniels, Karin Gist Drama ‘Our Kind of People’ Given Script-to-Series Order at Fox

lee-daniels-karen-gist.jpg

The Lee Daniels and Karin Gist project “Our Kind of People” has been given the straight-to-series treatment at Fox Entertainment. The show from the “Star” executive producers is the first new Fox drama series ordered for this season, and the first series to be launched out of the network’s script-to-series model and writers’ room led by Gist.

Inspired by Lawrence Otis Graham’s book “Our Kind of People: Inside America’s Black Upper Class.” Per the logline, the drama takes place in the aspirational world of Oak Bluffs on Martha’s Vineyard, a historical stronghold where the rich and powerful black elite have come to play for over 50 years. The series follows protagonist Angela Vaughn, a strong-willed, single-mom, as she sets out to reclaim her family’s name and change the world with her revolutionary hair-care line that highlights the innate, natural beauty of Black women. Michael Thorn, president of entertainment, for FOX Entertainment, described it as “a soapy, thrilling exploration of race and class in America.”

“Our Kind of People” was first put in development back in 2017, as Variety exclusively reported, and was re-worked as of last year. The writers’ room news came three months after Fox announced the project was still in contention for an off-cycle order to fill the network’s growing scheduling needs due to COVID-19.

Gist is writing and executive producing alongside Claire Brown for her The Gist Of It Productions. Daniels, Marc Velez, and Pam Williams are exec producing via Lee Daniels Entertainment, with Propagate’s Ben Silverman, Howard T. Owens, and Rodney Ferrell also on board as EPs. Montrel McKay is a non-writing executive producer.

Gist signed a new overall deal with 20th Television earlier this year.

Thurgood Thurston III

#LLNB #LLLB #E4R | woooK nypdK
Daps
Reppin
The kirk to the fields
The series follows protagonist Angela Vaughn, a strong-willed, single-mom, as she sets out to reclaim her family’s name and change the world with her revolutionary hair-care line that highlights the innate, natural beauty of Black women.

I was excited about this before but now I see what kinda bullshyt they're gonna be on...

I predict that ALL of the black male characters are gonna be colorist and abusive.

Cape Town JHB

All Star
Daps
Official greenlight is on

Mar 29, 2021
Lee Daniels, Karin Gist Drama ‘Our Kind of People’ Given Script-to-Series Order at Fox

lee-daniels-karen-gist.jpg

The Lee Daniels and Karin Gist project “Our Kind of People” has been given the straight-to-series treatment at Fox Entertainment. The show from the “Star” executive producers is the first new Fox drama series ordered for this season, and the first series to be launched out of the network’s script-to-series model and writers’ room led by Gist.

Inspired by Lawrence Otis Graham’s book “Our Kind of People: Inside America’s Black Upper Class.” Per the logline, the drama takes place in the aspirational world of Oak Bluffs on Martha’s Vineyard, a historical stronghold where the rich and powerful black elite have come to play for over 50 years. The series follows protagonist Angela Vaughn, a strong-willed, single-mom, as she sets out to reclaim her family’s name and change the world with her revolutionary hair-care line that highlights the innate, natural beauty of Black women. Michael Thorn, president of entertainment, for FOX Entertainment, described it as “a soapy, thrilling exploration of race and class in America.”

“Our Kind of People” was first put in development back in 2017, as Variety exclusively reported, and was re-worked as of last year. The writers’ room news came three months after Fox announced the project was still in contention for an off-cycle order to fill the network’s growing scheduling needs due to COVID-19.

Gist is writing and executive producing alongside Claire Brown for her The Gist Of It Productions. Daniels, Marc Velez, and Pam Williams are exec producing via Lee Daniels Entertainment, with Propagate’s Ben Silverman, Howard T. Owens, and Rodney Ferrell also on board as EPs. Montrel McKay is a non-writing executive producer.

Gist signed a new overall deal with 20th Television earlier this year.
A string willed single mom...

We'll damn:francis:

Fox ain't wasting no time pushing their other agendas :stopitslime:

Let's see how well they do this, I sometimes wish there was a black director with the level of craftsmanship as Stanley Kubrick.. But there no directors like that of any race.

The best time piece movie I've ever come across is Stanley Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon" (1975), some of the black (and mullato :hubie:) stories deserve years and years of research and the highest level of production quality.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Honestly, he should've went to Susan Fales Hill to produce this. She already has Cosby and A Different World under her belt.
Karin Gist just publicly came "out" last year. With all due respect to whatever her actual orientation is, this is the "gay-spoitation" era in entertainment where claiming Alphabet Soup gang gives you a career boost. Look at the career of talentless hack Lena Waithe.

To paraphrase the man who gave LOG the idea that the public might be interested in learning about the Black elite.

Gist said " Why should LGBTQ people have all the fun?"
fd9d24bf153d0804943654895a8a8bde.jpg

Gist graduated from Spelman and is from DC, so she might be, or have ties to Graham's kind of people.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I was excited about this before but now I see what kinda bullshyt they're gonna be on...

I predict that ALL of the black male characters are gonna be colorist and abusive.
I tell you what. I predict that if Lee Daniels pours it on too thick that the Black women from that community get the show pulled off the air.

There's a precedent for that happening. A few years back when the ratchet reality show genre was exploding, they threw every idea to the wall and saw what stuck.
They shot, and were set to air a "Real Sorors of Ratchets-ville" type of show about members of BGLOs.
Women, even those who were devoted fans of the other shows in that genre.....formed like Voltron and got it pulled within a week.

If they dial up the disrespect for the Martha's Vineyard set with this series, well some of that set sits on the boards of the companies that buy ads at Fox. We can do the math.

Last edited:

Unemployed GM

All Star
Daps
I’ve been familiar with this man for over 15-20 years now. My opinion is for all his accomplishments he was still in a type of hell of his own making.

His burning desire to be accepted into white social society influenced everything he did. Reminds me of a close relative of mine. When I look at the picture of his family and see his sons forced into those ridiculous hair helmets their father wore, when I see the video explaining why he won’t let his children wear certain normal clothes, all the rules he had about not being out after dark, not walking with anything in your hands after dusk, crossing to the other side of the street if whites are approaching to make them feel secure, I feel sorry for that man and even more for his children. I can only imagine the humiliations they’ve had to endure out in public watching their accomplished father shuffle and kowtow to the most regular of white people.

It’s gonna be rough on those kids for awhile trying to readjust to being normal and finding their way in the world as Black people without their late father’s emotional hangups and fears holding them back.

I agree with most of what you’re saying, but at least he was honest about about the black Elite in his book.

invalid

Banned
Daps
Karin Gist just publicly came "out" last year. With all due respect to whatever her actual orientation is, this is the "gay-spoitation" era in entertainment where claiming Alphabet Soup gang gives you a career boost. Look at the career of talentless hack Lena Waithe.

To paraphrase the man who gave LOG the idea that the public might be interested in learning about the Black elite.

Gist said " Why should LGBTQ people have all the fun?"
fd9d24bf153d0804943654895a8a8bde.jpg

Gist graduated from Spelman and is from DC, so she might be, or have ties to Graham's kind of people.

Gist is definitely a name within the set. I can't think of the connections at the moment. But she may be related to them.

I'm not familiar with Lena Waithe's work. Or at least I don't think I've seen anything that she's in.

There are certainly a number of producers/writers that come from the OKOP set.

Susan Fales-Hill, whom I mentioned. She's half West-Indian, btw.

susanfaleshill.jpg

Then you have Jenny Lumet, Lena Horne's granddaughter, who was just in the news after coming out and revealing that she was a victim of rape by Russell Simmons.

jennylumet-rachelgettingmarried-18.jpg

And Melissa Haizlip, whose parents were featured prominently in the book OKOP.

melissa-haizlip-gets-ready-for-the-52nd-naacp-image-awards-on-march-picture-id1232075126

In fact, Melissa's family has it all. The organizations, the passing for white. Her mother was even featured on the Oprah Show to discuss how half their family passed....

image-resizer

I think any one of them could've tackled the subject with the nuance that it deserves.

But again, I don't know Gist's background but I do recognize the name from the group so she may be qualified.

Last edited: