Lenny Kravitz says he's not black enough for BET

Daps
Here’s Kravitz’s statement in full:
“It is important to me to set the record straight on recent media reports based on an interview I did.
My black musical heritage means a lot to me, and I owe my success to my supporters who have taken this journey with me over the span of my career.
The comment I made was not about ‘black media’ or the ‘black community.’ I was specifically referring to black award shows in particular.
My comment was meant to express a concern about ensuring that black artists are being recognized for their work in what is now being called “non-traditional” black music, which it is not.
Rock and roll is the music we were instrumental in creating and is a part of our history. We must retain our heritage and celebrate that together.
BET and countless others have paved the way for this type of recognition. I hope that by sharing my concern a spotlight will be shone on this issue.
Love and peace.

like i said :yeshrug:

people were so quick to run with "the problem with black media" bs without thinking. glad lenny clarified, he's a good dude.

#THINK!

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Very true & Lenny was on Arsenio all through the 90's himself. It just goes to show if he really wanted to be marketed on BET, he could've made that happen but he was content with where he was at/going
Why would he have to? Once the second album (which had tons of songs influenced by black musicians) hit he would've been a big enough to where they would've wanted to play his music. He occupied the same place Prince was in

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Exactly what some of us been saying. Some reason you got folks in here trying to spin it to him avoiding black media because he wanted white

acceptance or some shyt
In fairness to everybody who weighed in, the full excerpt of the article quoted in OP wasn't posted.
90% of the time, people are just going to go by the quote posted. I read the article. Since it's not a straight Q & A, the writer framed it and included what he wanted to write from their conversation.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In fairness to everybody who weighed in, the full excerpt of the article quoted in OP wasn't posted.
90% of the time, people are just going to go by the quote posted. I read the article. Since it's not a straight Q & A, the writer framed it and included what he wanted to write from their conversation.
Got zero sympathy for people that don't read the articles but huff and puff based on excerpts and headlines. We should all know how media works by now

ThrobbingHood

Take from the b*tch, give to the whores.
Daps
TimberCAC and Robin Thicke always end up in these black spaces and award ceremonies. Even TRAVIS BAKER. But we’re supposed to believe Kravitz was frozen out? :mjpls:

That’s why I never trust these duplicitous mulattoes. Love playing both sides of the fence until they’re left in the wilderness.
travis-barker-attends-the-2010-bet-awards-held-at-the-shrine-auditorium-in-los-angeles-ca-on-june-27-2010-pictured-travis-barker-photo-by-lionel-hahnabacapresscom-2E2YPJM.jpg

Hmm, the whitest of white guys managed to make it to the BET Awards…. You tell me who’s lying?

Last edited:

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
BET's focus is on rap music and R&B/Popish music. Is there anyone who doesn't think BET needs to expand it's content?

NoirDynosaur

Yurrrrrrrrrr
Daps
Reppin
Planet Earth
BET's focus is on rap music and R&B/Popish music. Is there anyone who doesn't think BET needs to expand it's content?
BET isn't black owned, hasn't been ever since it sold out to Viacom in 2003.

We need a black platform to acknowledge our legends instead of colonizers dictating our talent.

Luckily, we have Youtube where the youth is promoting artists/trendsetters that would've never make it on BET

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
TimberCAC and Robin Thicke always end up in these black spaces and award ceremonies. Even TRAVIS BAKER. But we’re supposed to believe Kravitz was frozen out? :mjpls:

That’s why I never trust these duplicitous mulattoes. Love playing both sides of the fence until they’re left in the wilderness.
travis-barker-attends-the-2010-bet-awards-held-at-the-shrine-auditorium-in-los-angeles-ca-on-june-27-2010-pictured-travis-barker-photo-by-lionel-hahnabacapresscom-2E2YPJM.jpg

Hmm, the whitest of white guys managed to make it to the BET Awards…. You tell me who’s lying?
They were there because they performed.

Lenny been to the NAACP thing so I'm sure he would show up to the BET Awards if he was invited to perform or receive an award

Don't know why y'all spinning these narratives in y'alls head