Leno/Letterman 1992 Tonight Show Fiasco

StarClout

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broncos/LWO/NYY/NYR/ALA
*tried to search for a similar topic none were here so I'm making this post*

Any brehs around then remember this fiasco as it played out behind the scenes and on air as Johnny Carson was getting ready to step down in 1992?

As I know it from reading on the internet, Carson wanted Letterman to have the Tonight Show in 92 when he left but Helen Kushnick (Leno's manager at the time) was on some cut throat shyt that somehow landed Leno the gig and Letterman after talking to Carson about it gave NBC the :camby: and went to CBS

I was just turning 2 (1990) at the time so I dont remember too much as it. Any brehs read the book The Late Shift which goes into more detail or seen the HBO movie based on the book?

I do vividly remember the Conan/Leno fiasco a while back as I sided with Conan in the whole fiasco.

StarClout

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broncos/LWO/NYY/NYR/ALA
for historical purposes and to help refresh breh and brochettes memories:

Carson's second to last episode (considered the "last regular talk show episode")

Carson's Tonight Show Finale in 1992 (aired on a Friday)

Leno's First Tonight Show episode the Monday after Carson's final episode

Letterman's Last NBC Episode

still working on the others

Last edited:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Pretty wildly known now, they even have made movies about it, i think called The late shift.
Leno had a excellent manager that got him the deal, simply as that, Letterman was able to get his own show with producing credits at CBS and Leno beat his ass consistantly throughout their runs.

StarClout

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broncos/LWO/NYY/NYR/ALA
Pretty wildly known now, they even have made movies about it, i think called The late shift.
Leno had a excellent manager that got him the deal, simply as that, Letterman was able to get his own show with producing credits at CBS and Leno beat his ass consistantly throughout their runs.

HBO made a TV movie on it.

Rep to y'all brehs

I was peeping a bit of the movie before bed.

Its crazy cause Carson didn't even wish Leno luck on his last episode cause he wanted Letterman to take the show. Funnily enough his manager almost got him fired in the first few months of his stint of the Tonight Show cause she was on some Suge Knight and 2Pac shyt with Leno which almost costs Leno guests and NBC advertisers. NBC told him if she keeps it up he is getting the :camby: with him and she got let go

There is a book the movie is based on, does anyone happen to know where I could find a pdf or epub of the book? I couldn't find one with my search last night

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Rep to y'all brehs

I was peeping a bit of the movie before bed.

Its crazy cause Carson didn't even wish Leno luck on his last episode cause he wanted Letterman to take the show. Funnily enough his manager almost got him fired in the first few months of his stint of the Tonight Show cause she was on some Suge Knight and 2Pac shyt with Leno which almost costs Leno guests and NBC advertisers. NBC told him if she keeps it up he is getting the :camby: with him and she got let go

There is a book the movie is based on, does anyone happen to know where I could find a pdf or epub of the book? I couldn't find one with my search last night

Book is called the late shift