Lets Be Honest. Have You Really Ever Used ANY of the stuff You Learned in School?

Archangel

Banned
Daps
Lets go down the list real quick. I'm talking high school and even some college.

Algebra :comeon:
Trigonometry:what:
Pythagorean Theorem:beli:
Calculus:martin:

When was the last time you were at the job and said to your co-worker "yo we might need to break out the quadratic equations to solve this problem breh" :patrice:

And I was up on game especially once I hit the 11th grade. I would always ask my teachers "How will this benefit me in the real world:dwillhuh: Why aren't ya'll teaching me about mortgages, money management and other basic life skills?

Now, I understand needing to know basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division but the rest is bushes status especially if you not furthering your career in the math field.

Sciences::camby:
Physics
Chemistry

I never used anything I learned in biology or physics. Though some basic biology (cells, animal kingdom, etc) was interesting and good to know but why do I need to know how to dissect a frogs heart? It was fun dissecting those baby pigs and pregnant cats though:pachaha:The only essential sciences I needed to know were Anatomy and some basic physical sciences (gravity, matter and mass, etc). I never used anything from physics.
Chemistry was a waste of time too:stopitslime: "Hold up lemme hit my homeboy real quick we bout to go split some atoms" (NH:dame:) Unless you going into that particular field, what good was it?

History, basic math and science and English are the only essential skills needed in life.

So I start college and see that I have to take the SAME classes I just took in high school over again:dahell:
Why do I need to take Composition 101, Algebra 100, World History and a Biology Lab? Breh I just took these in high school. Thats why colleges are some of the biggest scams. If we only went to school and took classes for what field we planned on going into, most of us would graduate within 2-3 years.

I majored in Communications. I didn't start getting into the heavy classes for my major until my 2nd semester of sophomore year and Junior year. Basically my entire freshman year and half of sophomore year was taken up by basic worthless classes I just passed in high school.:snoop:
Then one of the teachers tried to feed me this crap "Well you have to prove that you're able to learn and excel in these classes at a higher level" Huh:what: I just proved that in high school, that's why I'm here in college you idiot.
As a Comm major my freshman year I should've been taking Broadcast Journalism, TV Production, Audio Production, etc smh. Now I'm 45 K in student loan debt.

I feel bad for those students who want to be a lawyer or surgeon wasting time taking meaningless classes in order to accrue enough credits to take classes for their major and then having to go to Law School or Med School for another 5-7+ years on top of that.:snoop:

Worthless Loser

Blackpilled
Daps
Besides basic Math, and basic English to have correct grammar and punctuation in papers, nothing.

The whole point of learning different topics in high school is for the student to find interest in one of them so they can go to college and major in it.

Verbal Kint

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TC, Ap
Its all social programming my brehs. My pops used to say 'school gives you the tools to learn. You educate yourself'. Put it this way: The truth is you learn most everything you need to function by 6th grade. Reading, writing, basic math skills , basic history and a basic knowledge of our physical world and political systems. The rest is essentially math/science 98% of us don't need and a lot of cultural/art knowledge (most English classes after that point) and also some critical thinking/reasoning skills which are cool but not always needed. Kids are in school because society is trying to mold them into its version of an 'ideal' citizen with a particular worldview. Also trying to continue to push higher education as a requirement. There's no logical reason why we don't start teaching kids a trade at 12/13 years old so that they can be self sufficient or ready to work by 16/17. If kids show acumen in the sciences/arts, etc then push them forward but why not teach little Johnny how to start programming at 13 instead of forcing him to read MacBeth and learn about chemistry? Its because they want folks spending money they don't have on a college education that often does little to nothing to actually help them do their future jobs well

StickStickly

Superstar
Daps
Yeah. You use basic knowledge every day. The point is to integrate it into how you relate, interpret and analyze the world to the point that it's second nature to you. When you dissected frogs you learned about the different systems in your body so you aren't ignorant about your own. You know how the brain works, you know basic math and science, you know how to write like an adult. Because of your education it all comes as second nature to you.

Have you ever tried to talk to someone who lacks basic understanding of the human body or history or math? It's mind numbing.

Archangel

Banned
Daps
Yeah. You use basic knowledge every day. The point is to integrate it into how you relate, interpret and analyze the world to the point that it's second nature to you. When you dissected frogs you learned about the different systems in your body so you aren't ignorant about your own. You know how the brain works, you know basic math and science, you know how to write like an adult. Because of your education it all comes as second nature to you.

Have you ever tried to talk to someone who lacks basic understanding of the human body or history or math? It's mind numbing.

Not sure if we're on the same page but my argument was that all we needed was the basic skills and the rest of it is a waste; especially in college. If we agree then :cheers:

Marco Andretti

GRINDHARD
Daps
Reppin
NoleNation 904 Jetlife
Can anybody in here actually recall what you actually DIDN'T learn in high school ??

Cuz I can't recall anything significant lol

Just the random fights .. school skips and chick's we was tryna fukk..

So high-school got me ready .. for FAMU lol

Reflected

Living in fear in the year of the tiger.
Daps
I actually use a bit of them math things, a calculator takes care of the rest. I also did go to a school where financing and those other important topics you discussed were taught, my HS wasn't a top school either. At this point though, corporations have a grip on public education and the way we go about teaching our kids isn't the best way for everyone. But the ways I can think of teaching all of the different types of learners would require a lot more funding and that obviously isn't going to happen and you can't set a price on top of what already goes towards supporting public education that low because it wouldn't be fair to everyone. Also, I know a good amount of people think some of these subjects like higher levels of bio, chem, and math aren't required but I myself refuse to not know the most important things in those subjects. I guess it's more of a personal thing, I watched people with a slightly higher education level make fun of those who weren't on their level with jokes that went over their heads, it just irked me and probably had a big impact on my outlook on higher levels of education. Now this topic was brought up a while ago on this forum and I did agree that the current system in most colleges is just setup up to squeeze more money out of those who struggle in certain areas but there are usually resources on campus to help you get by. I also do see the argument that not everyone in college has equal free time and I don't know what to say against that. :yeshrug: It's just the way things are, you are going to have to deal with it for now.

The5thLetter

Meow
Supporter
Daps
From undergrad and grad school I learned abt addiction, mental health issues, policy, stats, research methods and those are all relevant to my work. The remaining 100 or so credits was a total goddamn waste :scust: