Let's be honest, Tory Lanez's success is quite impressive (based on his looks) (nh)

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
The way you phrased that was a lil' suspect, my G.

But OK, I'll reference the topic... I don't really think we're in that era anymore where you have to be video-ready or photogenic... there was a time where image was a super-important factor, but now it's not like that. A dude like Fetty Wap wouldn't have stood a chance in like 2001, that eye alone woulda kept him off MTV. But music video and how you'll look on a magazine cover isn't the priority it once was, so there's a lot of artists that don't fit that 'look' who can still be successful these days.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
The way you phrased that was a lil' suspect, my G.

But OK, I'll reference the topic... I don't really think we're in that era anymore where you have to be video-ready or photogenic... there was a time where image was a super-important factor, but now it's not like that. A dude like Fetty Wap wouldn't have stood a chance in like 2001, that eye alone woulda kept him off MTV. But music video and how you'll look on a magazine cover isn't the priority it once was, so there's a lot of artists that don't fit that 'look' who can still be successful these days.

To keep it real, looks never been in a factor in the music industry until the mid 90's(mainly rap and r&b). How many fat r&b female singers back in the 70's and 80's that were not attrractive but could crank out hits? It was good amount. Looks imo is just a product of pop artist.

Daps
Dude is not drop dead superstar attractive but he's good looking enough to steal a heart or two

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
To keep it real, looks never been in a factor in the music industry until the mid 90's(mainly rap and r&b). How many fat r&b female singers back in the 70's and 80's that were not attrractive but could crank out hits? It was good amount. Looks imo is just a product of pop artist.

I would say it was a lil' earlier than mid-90s... not so much with rap, but definitely all other genres. When MTV became the new big thing in the 80s, and music videos became important, image was everything for a while. With rappers it was different tho', probably up until that late-90s Hype Williams era and a good part of the 2000s. Nowadays, good looks still help (as always), but it's not as mandatory as it was.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I know females who think he's attractive in real life :francis: