Lets be real...Kendrick Lamar hasn't dropped because he doesn't have a record to top #1 Humble

Discussion in 'The Booth' started by Darealtwo1, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Darealtwo1

Darealtwo1 Veteran Bushed WOAT

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $300500.00

[​IMG]

#1 billboard record is a gift and a curse. You get the #1 but everyone is expecting it the next time otherwise they going to say you fell off. The same shyt is happening to roddy rich and drake.

Roddy's last project had The Box, unless he comes with a #1 they going to say he fell of.

Drake last two projects have had #1's. Hotline Bling, One Dance, God's plan. Why do you think drake has so many leaks floating around on the internet, he's trying to find the next #1 record before he drops.

Kendrick Lamar is shook...Dude is going to go 5 years inbetween albums. :francis:

2. Hood Critic

Hood Critic The Power Circle

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    דעת
    Coli Cash:
    $81598.00

:russell:

Llcoolbay, WillyTheWow, PHamm and 12 others dapped this.
  3. Metal Face

Metal Face Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $100500.00

his career is done

only so long plants can last

4. Peak

Peak Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

He has not dropped because their is little chance to bank off tour money this year (or next).

5. Maximus Rex

Maximus Rex All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    The Evils of Men
    Coli Cash:
    $225500.00

He's suffering from Andre 3000 and Lauryn Hill disease, the public have built them up to such heights they are scared to drop in fear of disappointing

cenoflg, WillyTheWow, Horoyoi and 13 others dapped this.
  6. jelanitsunami

jelanitsunami i got like 6 names I can be anybody

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $200500.00

Kendrick is past the point of needing a single he could drop an album with no announcement and do numbers

cenoflg, Llcoolbay, Bermudez and 34 others dapped this.
  7. ISO

ISO Pass me the rock nikka

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    BX, NYC
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Humble was ass cheeks before that song Kendrick had no history of topping the charts and did so somehow upon debut with the worst single of his career.

Whatever he drops between the hype and Interscope push will top the charts.

He hasn’t dropped because of the pandemic.

TheOptimisticCynikal, L&HH, Yo! and 14 others dapped this.
  8. Renegade47

Renegade47 Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    North South East West
    Coli Cash:
    $300500.00

he aint dropped cus he hasnt been able to tour (same reason as drake) he’s working on baby keem album pg lang and other shyt. he doesnt need to drop until he’s ready just like Rihanna when they drop you think people gone be like “we forgot about them”? no everyone gone hit play to see what its tahm bout. humble was a weak ass single too.

WillyTheWow, S.W.A.G., deeznutz and 3 others dapped this.
  9. Renegade47

Renegade47 Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    North South East West
    Coli Cash:
    $300500.00

/thread. him and drake waiting for shyt to open

10. Ziggiy

Ziggiy Veteran Hall of Fame

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Ft. Stewart, Ga
    Coli Cash:
    $343999.00

I’d bet that Kendrick probably cares less about a number single as much he does a number 1 ALBUM.

Kendrick is an album artist. He puts his all into the final product and he wants to make the best most cohesive project possible. Having his album go number 1 i’d bet means leagues more than just one song charting

11. NoHalfWay

NoHalfWay Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $300500.00

Humble is one of the most forced hit singles I ever heard

I still don’t quite grasp what blew that song up. Cuz it didn’t have the staying power or general appeal that the sales #s it has would suggest… all those credentials should belong to Loyalty.

But I digress…

12. thaKEAF

thaKEAF #grizzlies #titans Hall of Fame Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Memphis
    Coli Cash:
    $12199824.88

The hype of him finally dropping a song will get him Damn near a #1 single due to streaming. He is in the top 50 overall streamed artists so far this year with no project in four years. I don’t think that has anything to do with why he hasn’t dropped though, he’s never been a numbers focused artist. Doesn’t make sense.

Claudex, Da King, Drip Bayless and 6 others dapped this.
  13. Hyperion

Hyperion Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    The Land of The North
    Coli Cash:
    $250000.00

This is what I think too. I remember reading somewhere that apparently he likes to perform at festivals to sorta gauge the reaction and go from there. Since we're in a pandemic and shows are just coming back (despite whether we feel that's a good idea or not), he's probably holding off until then. It's possible that he had something ready to go last year, but just didn't drop it.

Kendrick being an album artist is what people love most about him. Whenever you get something from Kendrick, you know it's going to be an actual body of work and not a bunch of songs that sounds good, but the cohesiveness isn't quite there (although there's nothing wrong with that, provided it's a mixtape or something that shouldn't be taken too seriously).

It's like when someone in a rapper's camp says that they have 10 albums worth of material. I'm sure they do, but how many of those songs are Kendrick-level album worthy? Those songs might be great, but they may not live up to the standard he's aiming for or simply just don't fit on the project he's working on, so they stay unreleased (plus it's just unrealistic to release every good song you make).

On the flip side (and I say this with no disrespect intended to him), look at Logic. Logic will drop an album every year, but the projects as a whole don't always reflect his talent. Some songs don't sound fleshed out well enough, or sometimes the writing just isn't there. And then there's songs on that very same project that shows just how skilled he can actually be. But when he takes his time and really focuses in, you get an album like No Pressure.

Essentially, I think with music dropping so often, it can sometimes hamper the quality if you're not in that creative space. Current artists that are running things may drop more frequently, but I'd say there's a reason why the top rappers tend to take 2-3 years on average to drop an album. The question of Quality vs. Quantity basically, and while the best answer is "both", we sometimes forget that no two artists are the same, and the creative process is different for everyone. I think most people understand this with Kendrick and that's why they're more willing to wait. His previous bodies of work allow that sort of thing. That expectation wouldn't happen with Lil Baby or Cardi B, because that's a lot easier to make in a shorter period of time than a To Pimp A Butterfly or even DAMN.

Llcoolbay, Redwood, jfkennedy and 4 others dapped this.
  14. newworldafro

newworldafro DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH Bushed

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    In the Silver Lining
    Coli Cash:
    $348107.45

Probably should end this thread if true.

Tetsuo, Sane, CrushedGroove and 3 others dapped this.
  15. O Fenômeno

O Fenômeno Veteran Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Jerz/Seattle
    Coli Cash:
    $225917.00

What?

Its catchy and has a simple catchy piano riff melody.

Song also has many memorable lines

"Remember syrup sammiches and gramma 'llowances'

"So fukking tired of the photoshop"

You get the picture.