Let's get this straight about the RIAA and certifications

straightcash

All Star
Daps
I was just reading the Wu Tang vs Bone Thugs threads, and someone brought up sales.
I figured its a good idea to start this thread so more people can see this.

The RIAA counts each disc as one unit.

So when a double disc album gets certified 1x Platinum, it means it sold 500k. If it gets Gold, it means it sold 250k. If it gets 4x Platinum, it means it sold 2 mill.

That is also why The Weeknd, before most people even knew his name, went Platinum. Trilogy was 3 discs, meaning he only needed to sell 333,334 copies to get Platinum.

I'm not taking any sides between Wu Tang and Bone Thugs or whatever, but many of Bone Thug's certifications were double discs. Just a disclaimer.

BTNHResurrection was single disc, and was certified Platinum. Strength & Loyalty was single disc, and went Gold. E.1999 Eternal was single disc, but went 4x Platinum. Creepin On Ah Come Up (EP) i can't find reliable figures on that (2x or 4x plat?), and RIAA database is down.

In the case of Wu Tang, all their certifications were single disc, except Wu Tang Forever which was double disc, and accordingly went 4x Platinum.

RIAA been doing this since 1992. Of course, starting in 2016, they've added streaming to it as well, and that's another story altogether. :huh:

Last edited:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I just wish theyd update ICP albums that went plat a long time ago and aint counted yet
you also have to pay for that... they don't do it for free

so say you dropped in 2016.... and you sold 1 milly in 2020... you'd have to pay them to research it and find it, then pay for your certification.... riaa isn't the gov.. they gotta make money

Daps
Reppin
California
I was just reading the Wu Tang vs Bone Thugs threads, and someone brought up sales.
I figured its a good idea to start this thread so more people can see this.

The RIAA counts each disc as one unit.

So when a double disc album gets certified 1x Platinum, it means it sold 500k. If it gets Gold, it means it sold 250k. If it gets 4x Platinum, it means it sold 2 mill.

That is also why The Weeknd, before most people even knew his name, went Platinum. Trilogy was 3 discs, meaning he only needed to sell 333,334 copies to get Platinum.

I'm not taking any sides between Wu Tang and Bone Thugs or whatever, but majority of Bone Thug's certifications were double discs. Just a disclaimer.

BTNHResurrection was single disc, and was certified Platinum. Strength & Loyalty was single disc, and went Gold. E.1999 Eternal was single disc, but went 4x Platinum. Creepin On Ah Come Up (EP) i can't find reliable figures on that (2x or 4x plat?), and RIAA database is down. All other certifications were double discs, so divide it by half.

In the case of Wu Tang, all their certifications were single disc, except Wu Tang Forever which was double disc, and accordingly went 4x Platinum.

RIAA been doing this since 1992. Of course, starting in 2016, they've added streaming to it as well, and that's another story altogether. :huh:

bone only released 2 double disc albums that actually were certified, the art of war 4x plat & greatest hits plat ,which = 2.5 million sold
now wu tang's best selling album was wu tang forever which was also a double disc album and was certified 4x plat which gives them = 2 million

that's not including e.1999 & creeping on a come which sold 4 million each
so even without the art of war & greatest hits they still outsold wu tang

straightcash

All Star
Daps
bone only released 2 double disc albums that actually were certified, the art of war 4x plat & greatest hits plat ,which = 2.5 million sold
now wu tang's best selling album was wu tang forever which was also a double disc album and was certified 4x plat which gives them = 2 million

that's not including e.1999 & creeping on a come which sold 4 million each
so even without the art of war & greatest hits they still outsold wu tang

They did outsell them. For some reason I was thinking The Collection album came as a double disc. They were released separately, my bad.

Juggalo Fred

Juggalo and horrorcore enthusiast
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Juggalo island
you also have to pay for that... they don't do it for free

so say you dropped in 2016.... and you sold 1 milly in 2020... you'd have to pay them to research it and find it, then pay for your certification.... riaa isn't the gov.. they gotta make money

yep, so small time groups get fukked while major labels probably have agreements with them to keep track of everyone on their roster

ICP don't care though, they know what they sell since they do their shyt indy style